The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Agility peeps - Thnxgiving Cluster in Springfield?

I spent a huge chunk of time last night reading through old Menagerie posts and saw there's a lot of North East dog agility people on here!! I do agility with my Rottweiler, Lars and we often show at the indoor soccer complex in North Smithfield, RI. We do both AKC and NADAC.

Some of you guys who go to Smithfield may actually know Lars...he's that tiny mega-drivey, 'roaring over jumps' Rottweiler in Novice. Here he is in case you need a visual aid. LOL http://www.pbase.com/lesleylou/image/137029918

We've moving up to Open now. We're planning on making our debut in open at the Cluster. Who else is going???
    Last edited by EquusArtist; Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: to add a photo link of "that guy"

Good luck!

I'm not sure if I'm going...will wait until the results of my upcoming show and then decide If we did go we'd be doing OB & Rally.

I've shown there before and I'm not sure if my current dog would do well. It's very big and loud in there...might be too much overload for her.

We went for the first time last year for three days. Three days was a lot and Lars was nutty by Sunday. I'm not sure if I'll do Sunday again and also because of the holiday weekend traffic on the Mass Pike. Luckily, noisy venues don't bother my dog. He actually thrives on the noise and craziness and did pretty well up there last year.

The obedience and rally side are nice and quiet for the most part. She may not be that bothered over on the obedience side...you should go for it!

Oh really? Last time I showed there, now granted this was in the 90's, the OB ring was near the breed rings...lots of noise, dogs & commotion.

My dog back then was fine but my girl now gets SO easily distracted by EVERYTHING!

Thanks for letting me know though. My neighbor had actually mentioned going to this show...we'll see...it's also during hunting season so my BF will be gone to camp so no one would be home to take care of the horses and the other dog (no way am I bringing him with us!!!). Unless he gets a deer during bow season...fingers crossed he gets one this weekend or next! HAHA!

Oh god no...the obedience/rally area is in a side room off of the agility area. You can't see the agility...you can hear it...but there's also a corridor separating the two areas. Compared to the agility area (with four rings going at all times,) the obedience area is like a crypt. From what I saw last year, there was nothing remoting distracting in the obedience area.

Interesting! Thanks!

yup - I agree, the OB area was very mellow in comparision to the other areas. The agility is a bit overwhelming, I am not that fond of the venue because of the large support poles, having a very fast dog, it stresses me out that I could run into a large concrete pillar. I love the show though, great shopping!

Yes! The shopping is awesome. They have even more great vendors over in the breed ring area.

The pillars can be a little daunting especially if you're like me and the places we train don't have them. I do like the footing. Lars can slip on both real and artificial turf....dirt, not so much.

We'll be there for conformation, but I'll go cheer you on!!

We are doing our first Novice the week-end before. And we just starting have a teeter issue, so I think that I will go to Hamden Nov19-20 and see how it goes. At least the JWW should work out OK.

Still trying to figure out what we're doing. My girl was supposed to be on maternity leave, but the breeding didn't take. I think I have enough time to get her fit.

Oh cool! Hopefully, I'll see you guys there. (I have to send in my entry TODAY!!!)

Did anyone go? We were there for conformation so went over and checked out the agility building....wow! Crazy! But cool....! I did hear people say that the rings were too wet and people were falling down...I saw one girl fall and talked to another handler who had switched shoes because she was afraid of falling. The rings looked packed down...do they ever drag them?

Anyway, it was fun to watch. We'll probably have to choose between hunt tests or agility...so probably hunting will win out this year but my kids are dying to train the dog in agility too....so maybe we will do it someday.

Hope you had fun if you went!!

I was there on Friday with my male Dobe for conformation and my friend who went with me had her Golden in Rally/OB. So yeah I checked out the agility area. It was a little crazy in there...I don't think I would have much liked the dirt they were using.
    The rally/ob area was not too bad. Except I didn't like how they had the entrance gates for those three rings all in the same area..with people waiting to go in their rings it clogged the area up.

My friend said the rally judge was annoyed with the people tacking dirt into her rally ring!

I was surprised at how packed down it looked. I think dirt would be ok to work in as long as you had the right footwear, but with it packed and damp looking I guess it was slippery. One poor young girl on Sunday slipped and crashed through the jump instead of being able to send her dog over it, and obviously her dog was totally confused.

The rally area was nice & quiet. Actually the conformation area was pretty quiet too, considering how many dogs there were. I was confused and thought it should be more crowded until I saw they had 6 more rings set up in another building. I had someone bring a crate for me on Thursday because I wasn't showing until Sat & Sunday and never thought I'd find a space, but it wasn't bad at all.

I also thought I'd never get space...especially near my ring. We arrived early Friday morning and I found a fairly good spot with easy access to the aisle and within good eyesite of my ring.

We placed 2nd out of 2 dogs But my little (all 75+lbs!) puppy dog was such a good boy! I don't think we looked like a couple of dummies out there....at least that is something!

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    We placed 2nd out of 2 dogs But my little (all 75+lbs!) puppy dog was such a good boy! I don't think we looked like a couple of dummies out there....at least that is something!
    Good for you - that's half the battle! I spend a lot of time watching the pros handle and try to imitate them. I also have had my kids at a lot of shows and they take [shaky, blurry] video, but it has been really helpful to see what I look like to the judge. I finished my boy on Saturday so I am still on cloud 9. We moved up on Sunday for our first trip into the BOB ring and it's like starting over. He "looked" good but acted like a puppy and we hardly got a 2nd look by the judge. And for some unknown reason had an insatiable itch on his head and kept trying to scratch... Very professional looking. That's ok, I didn't expect much, but it was quite an eye-opening experience to move up into such tough competition!

Oh wow!! Congrats!!! What is your breed?

This show was my second time ever in the breed ring...my dogs second time too! The other dog in the ring with us was handled by one of the top pros in the area. So...eeek!
    Last edited by vtdobes; Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added text

I thought about going mainly for the shopping! I've heard a lot of complaints about the footing over the years, although if it was wet, I assume that means they are trying to fix it. It is usually the dust I hear about. I've got a dog with great self-preservation instincts (for now - the up and comer will probably need to wear pads and a helmet to run!), so I don't stress too much about footing with her. Maybe next year. We are oh-so-close to her PDCH right now that USDAA is getting all of our attention. I think I'll focus a fair amount on AKC once she gets that, so perhaps next year we will head down to that trial!

I've heard rave reviews of the RI facility you mentioned, but most of the USDAA trials that were there have moved back up to NH - more convenient, but I kind of wanted to check out that site.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    Oh wow!! Congrats!!! What is your breed?

This show was my second time ever in the breed ring...my dogs second time too! The other dog in the ring with us was handled by one of the top pros in the area. So...eeek!
    I have a brittany, which is helpful because a lot of owners handle their own dogs. But there certainly are a good number of pros in the ring too.

I can tell you, though, that I didn't even enter my dog until he was 12 months old and we didn't do much of anything for the first several shows....it really does take a while before they "get" the idea of going forward around the ring and end up looking like giraffes gawking at the other dogs, etc. So, definitely be patient and keep at it -- one thing I was told over and over was to let my puppy be "bad"....let him gallop and fidget. To overcorrect them is the worst thing in the long run, and eventually they do just fine!

BostonBanker...I'm lost on the terminology. But what I did hear about the footing was that it was too wet and too packed, although one person was only worried about herself slipping, not the dogs. From a riding perspective, it looked like dragging it would have made a huge improvement to just break up the slippery surface and make it more stable.