The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink TBs & Mud

With our record setting rains of late, I am wondering if I missed something in the breed standard that requires TBs to coat themselves from eyeball to tail at every opportunity Every morning I clean them off and by lunch, they are coated again My Irish horses have a spot here or there of mud, but not one has required heavy cleaining
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

pictures or it didn't happen, lol.

My rose grey arab is a really attractive shade of mud and I have despaired of seeing her mud free until the snow hits.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    pictures or it didn't happen, lol.

My rose grey arab is a really attractive shade of mud and I have despaired of seeing her mud free until the snow hits.
    LOL - It's been raining today, so they were rinsed clean for now, but tomorrow should be a different story
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

*tacklepounces dangerbunnygirl*

eeeeeeeeek!

OOPS! I mean *gently tacklepounces dbg and rubs tummy*

I have two TBs who get pretty muddy and I have one who tiptoes around puddles and begs to be stalled when it's rainy.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    OOPS! I mean *gently tacklepounces dbg and rubs tummy*
    lol, not much to rub yet, just little bump, my pants are just not starting not to want to button.

lol I have the opposite. My TB gelding, fairly clean. On the other hand my WB/TB mare LOVES the mud!!! And she's already getting her winter wooleys..the TB still has a nice light coat.
    Horses!!! He does make up for it though with his disgusting stall cleaniness!! Somedays I wonder if I bought a pig or a horse! Track ponies!!

One of my Tb's, the gelding, would be thrilled to never see mud again. Really, he will leap over suspect area's or tip-toe around. Fine with me, the mud ruins his feet so he spends some extra time in his stall.

Now...the 2yr old TB filly...she rolls, stands outside in the rain, rolls in the mud again...she is disgusting!

Yep, my two TB mares have been more prone to roll in mud/dirt/manure than my gelding. He usually has one good roll in the spring and that's it. Good thing, because he's grey.

One of the cutest things my gelding has done was during a dressage lesson when my trainer was up, taking a lesson with her trainer. It was really muddy and he decided to jump a particularly muddy patch rather than risk slipping in it.
    Last edited by Vesper Sparrow; Oct. 19, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

Before she was retired, the dirtiest, muddiest horse in the barn where I board was a little chestnut OTTB mare. There are a few other OTTBs at the barn and I don't think of them as being especially more prone to mud-coating. The current King Of Mud is a grey (nearly white) RID.

Mine dislikes mud so she rarely has much to brush off.
    Last edited by quietann; Oct. 19, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I have one TB who will stand looking at me all irritated if 1)he's out in a mere drizzle, 2) it's windy (heaven forbid) and 3) his feed tub is in a muddy spot when he's fed outside.. Yes, I've been known to move his tub for him out of the mud to higher ground. Does he say thank you? No, he's looks at me w/ a "'bout D--- time, lady. What are you, stupid?" look that some TBs can give oh so well.

My TBs only roll in the mud if they have blankets on. No one seems to mind dirtying a blanket but they wouldn't dream of playing in the mud if they weren't covered up...brats!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    The current King Of Mud is a grey (nearly white) ID.
    None of mine are grey, I do think mud is a grey magnet (their secret desire to be bay/chestnut or black again)
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

Before
    During
    After

Oh, yes. TBs LOVE mud!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobbyMagee View Post
    Before
    During
    After

Oh, yes. TBs LOVE mud!
    LMAO!

I once watched my old guy, actually he was 5 the first time he did this.

See mud. Run gaily to mud. Drop down, roll - back and forth.

Lay on side, and PROPEL oneself through mud with hind legs, grunting happily. This ensures much mud in FORELOCK, and top of head.

Roll.

Leap up. Run around, flinging extra mud. Graze.

Repeat as needed.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

My TB is known for his EPIC ability to cover himself in mud.

all 17 hh 1400 pounds will equal 18hh and 1500 pounds when he's done with his mud bath. including dreadlocks for mane, tail and forelock.

I am currently kicking myself as I understand I will be demudding him shortly. Cold NOR blanket stops the mudding process...

I should have known better as the last race he won..and the only race picture I have of him..is in the MUD.....
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

I have zero problems blanketing a horse so they stay clean. I blanket my mare because she isn't as yeehaww when she is wearing her sweatshirt, and she doesn't grow enough hair in the winter. But I also blanket her because she is grey.

Halfway through winter I will show up for a lesson and it looks like she's still blanketed. Yellow head, neck, and legs, sparkling white body.