The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots for wet/sandy schooling

Help! This is my first year without an indoor on a dialy basis (yes, I'm spoiled. I know this.)

Outdoor ring is sand. Climate is WET. I usually school at home in open fronts, but they get messy, and hold water badly when I rinse them out. And I hate putting cold wet boots back on my horse.

Any suggestions for schooling boots?? I feel a little silly schooling day to day in XC boots...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

FTE used to make a pair of open fronts lined with a thinner neoprene so you could wipe them dry after rinsing. they had a plastic shell and 2 straps.

might be able to find some on ebay...
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

I use the air cooled brushing boots found here- http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acata...ing_Boots.html and they are my favorite boots evah! I use them daily and hose them off. They dry quicker than any other types of brushing boots and offer good protection.

Multiple pairs/sets is the only thing that works for me. My horse is allergic to neoprene, so he schools and hacks in inexpensive fleece lined boots or polos. I have an absurd amount of those fleecy boots, not to mention polos. If they get wet and soggy, they go in the washer, then the dryer.

This is a year round issue for me. Because I hack in them, he tromps through creeks. And because he is a sweater of Olympic proportions, he gets them gross from the inside out, too. Lots of booting options and a handy washer/dryer works best for me!

I have a set of nice open fronts for arena use, but they're a complete mess in the wet. If it's mucky out I school in my cross country boots. Woofs are popular and do well, along with my Thinline brushing boots that I just love. Both can be hosed off when you're done and don't soak up water from those charming puddles so they don't move. I also have a pair of Trizone xc boots that I use when it's raining, but that might be a bit of overkill for working in an arena.

Steer away from anything fuzzy, since those soak up any water and sag, as I learned in a dressage lesson with a large puddle in one corner. I had to have a friend yoink her fleece lined boots off halfway through because they soaked up every splash.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Are you talking about jumping? I don't use boots on the flat -- unless the horse interferes, he doesn't need them. For jumping, I keep it minimal -- nothing for stadium on the baby who doesn't brush, some NEWs up front for XC.

I like to have a few sets of boots for each horse. I'm currently using Woof Club boots because they're pretty cheap and wear well. I wash them off in a bucket of water and hang them up to dry.

Plain leather boots are good too, because there's nothing to hold the sand/wet to the boot. They are expensive though!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
    I have a set of nice open fronts for arena use, but they're a complete mess in the wet. If it's mucky out I school in my cross country boots. Woofs are popular and do well, along with my Thinline brushing boots that I just love. Both can be hosed off when you're done and don't soak up water from those charming puddles so they don't move. I also have a pair of Trizone xc boots that I use when it's raining, but that might be a bit of overkill for working in an arena.

Steer away from anything fuzzy, since those soak up any water and sag, as I learned in a dressage lesson with a large puddle in one corner. I had to have a friend yoink her fleece lined boots off halfway through because they soaked up every splash.
    I don't have that issue. I worried about it but seem to have found varieties that fit well and stay in place even when Toby decides to really get into his splashing in the creek. My cheap Intec set from Smartpak stay in place as do my Dover brand ones. The crap ones from TOTD?? Don't even stay where they belong for an easy w/t/c in dry, flat footing.