The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Infection on the horse's tail

First - we had another horse with this 2 years ago - hair fell out at the tail bone in parts inside nearish to the tip of the bone. The skin under where the hair fell out was gross and smelly. Someone had bought the horse as this was discovered and moved him to his new home and the vet then diagnosed him as having had circulation cut off and it was killing the tail ...

Second, today my mare - whom I have not groomed in 2 weeks - I have let two teens groom her when they rode her and they shared her pretty much the last two weeks. So today I decided to ride her and discovered the same nasty looking and smelling thing on her tail. So I SOAKED it with Protect which is an antifungal/antibacteria water based cleaner and then put some drying agent on it. She seemed to LIKE the feel of these astringents on it.

I looked ALL over and could not find anything removing circulation and no one has braided this mare's tail....?

You know what this is? I will call my vet tomorrow BUT I might not be able to get him here until Monday - if any of you know what this is and how I can start some treatment.... I did a search and cant find it.

I know the first horse went like 1 month from when it was discovered to when it was diagnosed but it just looks and smells aweful. I can keep pouring this stuff on it until Monday but I dont think its cut off circulation - it looks like a fungal or bacteria infection....?

Maybe a tick bite.

We had a horse get a terrible infection going on her tail bone after a camping trip. We did find holes with the swollen skin, diagnosed as a tick bite by the vet. She has a real thick tail, plus we gave her time off after the trip, so not inspecting her closely to find the mess sooner.

We got the infection cleaned off, did the cleaning thing daily until it quit oozing and scabbed up. Washing it with soap and drying it off helped, used an antibiotic cream to clean up the infection. She healed well, though she lost a lot of hair for a while.

Can't say wound really stunk though, just made a mess on the bone.

Vet said its a bacteria infection. I thought it was - BUT the previous horse I knew - the owner said he had had a ribbon tied in the tail and it had cut off circulation. But he had the EXACT same thing.... when I saw him. I was sure she did not have something doing that. My vet said - antibiotics and clean the area extra good. woo woo

A few years ago my then weanling filly came home from the sales with an infection. But, and this makes me look bad, she was out 24/7 and I never noticed. She was healthy, happy, and eating quite well. Brought her up to start coming in at night and it looked like she had sticks in her tail. Went to wash and it started coming away from the bone. I was like OMG! Anyway, vet said to clean really well and give antibiotics.

It ended up being fine but my lord does it take eons for the tail hair to grow back. I sold her this summer and it was really only just coming after 2 years. She still has another year before it grows in normal I'd say. FWIW, she never had a tail bandage on.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.