The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 14 y/o TB in FL --PLACED--

I've posted here before but figured I would post again since its been awhile.

13 year old Jockey Club registered Thoroughbred in Tampa, FL. He's had 60 days professional training in western pleasure and trail riding. Pretty much spook proof; bags, guns, tarps, bridges and water don't affect him, I've even dried him with a blow dryer and he didn't care! No buck/rear/bite/bolt, but he is NOT for beginner riders; I would say he would be suitable for anyone who can ride confidently at all three gaits. He loads, clips, bathes, ties, he knows voice cues and does know how to round pen and lunge on a line. Great feet, he's in sandy Florida soil with no shoes needed.

He IS a cribber, but its not completely debilitating---in grass turn out he would much rather graze, we have him right now on 24/7 turn out and only coming in for meals and although he wears a collar for back up, I have never seen him crib while turned out.

I have a recent riding video and pictures available for interested parties. Vet references required.
    Last edited by justsambam8; May. 5, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Can you please tell my why he's not suitable for beginners? Not that I think he should be, but we are looking for a husband horse, and while my husband can sit and steer and make it look like he knows what he is doing, he doesn't "really" know how to ride. He is confident, but I don't want him to be really challenged as I am thrilled that he is finally interested in riding (trails only) with me and i don't want to put him off.
    Last edited by Cruiser12; Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: had to fix a word

More or less, its his personality; he is the "take advantage" type. However, if he were going to a home where there was another horse-savvy person who could give lessons and mentor when needed or to a barn where the person would be taking regular lessons, I would say (the final yes or no really comes down to the individual rider) yes.

There are other little quirks he has that would affect that decision as well, if you're still interested I can send you the video of him being ridden (it was the first time since April, his rider was a 13 year old with less than 5 years experience) and/or you could come out to meet him and ride him to see for yourself.

My email is sinman@mail.usf.edu

Bumping for the week!

I would also like to add to the "no spook" list: bikes/riders and traffic.

He spent eight years on the track and retired sound; has PLENTY of life left in him and deserves a home where he can put his mind to work!

Default ?

How big is he? I have a kid looking for a trail buddy, but the kid is bigger than most men...6'2'' and maybe 245#, and he is just 15 years old!!!

He is 16h on the dot. Very narrow as well, but he's been ridden by a guy, 5'11 or 6 feet and of average weight just fine.

Just a bump for the week!

bumping for the week! This guy is so friendly and calm, we have seven and eight year olds turn him out. He even comes when called!

bumpity bump!

bump! We are also working on free lunging in the arena, and he does great!

bump!

bumping up in time for summer!!

He's been leased out to a user on this forum since February, Manni01 so if you have any questions about him, feel free to ask her.

And I had somebody taken an awesome picture today of us...
    I´m just somehow not able to post it here

So Justsambam8 you are more than welcome to do so if possible.

He is really a lot of fun i started out doing some dressage schooling with him and it is amazing how well he responded. I assume he has never done anything close, but he is a fast learner. And since I bring him some pieces of apple or some carrots every time I go to the barn he is the sweetest horse ever. Loves to be scratched on his forehead and be petted.

I knew that leasing a horse is dangerous because you usually get attached too much but I know parting from him in June will be simply horrible
    He is so willing to always give his best. Even in the beginning when he was completely out of shape, there was no moment when he wanted to quit.
    Oh and by the way he is not spooky at all. Yesterday somebody tried to get his young horse used to some things and had a huge grey ball rolling around in the Arena. The wind was kind of driving it around. He didn´t even look.

So if anybody is interested in this really fine guy I would have some pictures of him which I could send you you if you pm me your email. Also I´m working on a video. His connection in trot is really good already, Galopp will need some more time, but he already shows that it will be gorgeous.

How does he cope with trail riding in a group,is he competitive to be up front all the time?.

How would he cope being out [ 10 acres of woods and mostly pasture.] 24/7 with run in stall?

Will he hack out on his own?
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by fernie fox View Post
    How does he cope with trail riding in a group,is he competitive to be up front all the time?.

How would he cope being out [ 10 acres of woods and mostly pasture.] 24/7 with run in stall?

Will he hack out on his own?
    Thank you for asking

So far I have not done any trail riding with him, but will do so this Friday. So I guess afterwards I can tell, how he reacted.
    I do think that he would hack out on his own, because he is not really interested in other horses.

He's super cute good luck!
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

OMG he looks lovely,what is his Registered JC name?
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

OMG he looks lovely,what is his Registered JC name?

Fernie to answer your original question, YES he will hack out on his own...he doesn't have a problem with groups as long as no one is running up behind him.

I will say though that he is a natural leader, and since he isn't spooky he would do great as a leader but I'm not sure if he would do well in the middle or in the back. We'll know for sure on Friday, because I'll be leading the ride on another horse!

As for being turned out 24/7 he copes just fine! The woman I received him from originally had him on 24/7 turn out.

His registered name is Dry Ice, by Housebuster out of Froze if you're looking on equineline or on the jockey club website.