The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite midweight blanket?

I'm looking for a midweight turnout blanket and there are So many choices! My mare is going to be clipped (first time ever) and all I have is a heavy weight and they a stable sheet. I do live in Arizona, so it's not like it gets Super cold, but we do have nights where it gets pretty chilly. I need something pretty strong too (she is six and lives with an evil pony in the pasture for most of the day :P )

TIA!!

There's nothing better than a Rambo, but if that's out of your budget, I've also had really good luck with the Northwinds from Dover, and a Shires.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I love my smartpak blankets!! They have held up great with my 2 that play pretty hard.

And the price is right!!!

I love Weatherbeetas because they run large so an 84 actually somewhat fits my big guy and in the off season I can find them for under $100, so when he tears them to bits I'm not too sad ; )

I've always had great luck with Schneider. I got my OTTB Dover Northwind's last winter, and while the covering held up, every single one of the clips broke...they got stuck & are impossible to close without a hoofpick to pull them shut.

I am going back to Schneider this winter, and will keep the Northwind's as back-up's.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Pessoa Alpine midweight turnout - LOVE it!!! Last one lasted 3 years, and I only replaced it because the trim was coming off!!

Rambos

You might look into the QH Rambo or there is a California Rambo as well. Both are a mid wt. I think the QH is 200 gram and the California is 100 gram but I'm not 100% positive.

I have some Rambos that are at least 14 yr old if not more and they still look great even if they are a little faded.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Schneider

It's hard to beat that price for the quality, and it's not just "oh that's a pretty good blanket for the price". No, it's "that's a great price for a good blanket"

I am also a HUGE fan of the Pessoa Alpine Blankets! I've had mine for going on it's 3rd winter...The hold up well and look great too!

Pessoa, hands down. I've had WB, Dover, and Schneiders, and none hold a candle to my Pessoa. The Tundra is the better of the two models, but it's more expensive. I got mine for $100 on clearance though, and you can find them for under $200 in most sizes. The Tundra is 2100D and seems to be indestructible. It fits very very well too, and doesn't pull at the shoulders like every other blanket I've owned.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I've been very happy with the quality, ease of use, price, durability and fit of the Open Range midweight turnouts that I bought from Smith Brothers (Dovers western counterpart) 2 years ago. They still look brand new.

Like you, I don't have to blanket every night in Florida, just on those "freeze warning" nights, and last year we had about 40 of them! I hope we don't get another winter like that.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams