The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neck cover, or high neck blanket?

I lost three Rambo Duo sets in the fire, and I am debating on replacing them with the same thing, or getting "wugs" with the higher neck.

Do you find that the "wug" really keeps water out?

Better to have the neck cover that you can remove completely, or the higher neck blanket that doesn't really cover a lot of the neck?

Thanks!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Asking because my horse always seemed to get a little aggravated with the neck cover touching the back of his head, but I wondered if the wug would really cover enough of his neck (large heat loss through the neck right?).

Plus, it seems like the neck covers were never really "not-gappy" in between the neck cover and the blanket.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Honestly, I like both but for different reasons. I also had the gap where the neck cover attached to the turnout, and that never seemed to go away.

But then certain high-neck models seemed to get scrunched down ... so ... yeah. They both have their pros and cons.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I haven't owned a Wug yet, but I do like the blankets with the detacheable neck better than the high neck. I find the detachable neck follows the neck better when the horse puts its head down, whereas the high neck stays stiff/up and lets air in.

I prefer the detachable neck covers. I feel like that blanket is a little more versatile that way.

The Rambo ones I have don't seem to gap, fwiw...but the Dover one does.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Another vote for neck covers. I like the versatility and fit better. The Wugs work for horses with a naturally low head carriage, but my guys are more up-headed and seemed cramped after a few weeks in the Wugs. I sold them and went with the Rambo Supremes and haven't looked back.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I'll be the contrarian and say I'm switching to all high necks. I am in a warmer climate so I'm more concerned with dry than warm. I find the high necks definitely keep them dry and warm enough for our area.

My blankets with neck covers have needed repairs with the fastening systems.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Like Debbie, I find the neck covers more often need repairs (fastening systems break) and they do have that neck gap, are slower too put on. The Rambo Wug goes on swiftly, doesn't shift and keeps my horses dry and warm.

I have never had a neck cover "gap" or do anything but keep the neck and shoulders dry. (Rambos and weatherbeeta takas) The neck covers attach at 2 or 3 places, depending on the make of blanket, and work great. Thee is enough of an overlap to cover the blanket and keep my horses dry. And they come in sizes, so you can get one to fit the circumfrence of skinny necks and muscular necks.

My one experience with a "wug" or hihg neck type was a weatherbeeta on sale at smartpak. The rug did not protect the neck of course, and had no way to fasten any neck rug to it. Rain ran down onto his shoulders. It also slid back behind my horse's withers. I gave the rug away and it's now on a friend's horse.

I've never tried the rambo wugs. All our rambos came with neck rugs, even the old "wug plus" blankets from years ago.

I've done the high neck before a couple years ago, it was a weatherbeeta, and recall it getting scrunched easily and water still coming into the shoulder. I've been wanting to get rambo wugs for my group, but they are too expensive for me to get several at a time, plus I would want a regular neck also for warmer, drier weather. I finally had a lightbulb moment recently and decided to get hoods--don't know why I didn't think of that before.

I am going to stick with what I had I think. As soon as I can save up to get them (again)!

I don't like the midnecks - I too find that they stick straight up when the horse's head is down grazing.

I have a sheet, midweight, heavyweight and heavyweight with attached hood for each horse - so no problems here with hood hardware.

I also dislike the Wugs. I had one, and while the fit was great, when the horse was "grazing" snow/rain would get into the gap that stuck straight out. At least with the neck covers, they bend with the horse so no snow would get underneath the blanket.

I prefer hoods - my horse's mane gets rubbed out by high necked blankets.

I owned one high neck blanket, but since the horse I had it for has rather high neck/head carriage, it did not fit him at all, the blanket kept shifting wayyy forward. Now I only use neck covers, partly because of the fit issue, but also because it didn't keep him any drier or cover enough of the neck that I thought it really had any benefit anyway...

I love the Rambo Wugs but high wither horses will get wither sores. Be careful. I also find the Wug thins the hair about 4 inches in front of the withers on the horses I use them on.
    For my high wither horses I use wither relief blankets from Schneiders with neck covers and love them too!