The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone ride in Bogs boots?

I need a new pair of fall/spring muckers, and I've always kind of coveted a pair of Bogs. It would be great if they could serve double duty as casual cold-weather riding boots. Has anyone ridden in them? My main concerns are:
    -Is there enough flexibility in the ankle?
    -Are they high enough on the calf?
    -Do the handles cause rubbing?
    -Do they fit into a stirrup well?

Here are the ones I'm looking at:
    http://www.zappos.com/bogs-classic-high-handles-black

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

I have a pair of those and would not want to ride in them. They don't have much of a heel, for one thing, and the boot comes to about 2" below my knee, and I am short!

Also, the neoprene is fairly thick, which is great for warmth and durability, but perhaps not for riding. I don't know whether the handles would rub, but they are awesome for helping you get your boots on.

The neoprene is also not really breathable, so whenever I toe mine off after a couple of hours of working, my pants/socks are usually damp to soaked through, depending on how hot it is and how hard I was working.

They are great boots for working in muddy/mucky conditions though.

They have this model: http://www.zappos.com/bogs-rider-emboss-black

It has rider in the name but the description doesn't say anything about riding. No handles and more of a heel though.
    Last edited by onelanerode; Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added other model
    Full-time bargain hunter.

The only way I'd ride in my Bogs was bareback or stirrupless. The foot is far too wide and bulky IMO to safely fit in my regular stirrups. Perhaps if you had really big western stirrups with the stops(cage) on the front, but other wise no.
    Last edited by fanfayre; Oct. 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: correct terminology posted by another

Thank you! That is very helpful. Disappointing, yes, but helpful.

Default Bogs...how I love thee!

Okay I have been working/playing with horses forever on and off.........I said a prayer to the Goddess when I discovered Bogs!
    I wear mine from Sept-May...even in warmer days, sweaty feet n all...I just love how comfy they are, how durable they are, and how pretty they are!
    I bought the tall boots with built in handle holes for help with pulling on and hangin to dry...I will even ducktape my holes to keep em going! lol
    I can muck and work all day in these bad boys and my feet are the only things NOT achin, plus I have had my foot stepped on more times then I like to admit by an equine friend or two and it doesn't hurt as bad when I have my bogs on!

But riding.....hell no! Too wide, no heel.

But it is well worth the money if you buy real Bogs, my pair currently is on it's 4th season...and only one spot of ductape from a rogue nail I caught.
    My gf bought the no name brand and they didn't even last a season before they leaked!
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

I rode in Bogs w/t just once. They were rubbing my legs and they are too snug in the stirrups, as was said by jessiesgrrl. So never again! Great for the barn, though.
    I'd rather be riding!

I don't have Bogs, but I do ride in muck boots in the winter. Either bareback, or with wide trail stirrups:
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...c-43c5d28767d6
    or with a cage
    http://www.barefootsaddlesusa.com/EZ..._p/ss-cage.htm

I wouldn't jump with them, but it works fine for me for trail riding, hacking, trot sets.

Well, I bought the Bogs! They were 20% off at the feed store. I know Muck Boots has a boot specifically made for riding, but they would have been almost 2x the cost of the Bogs on sale. So.

I have similar Bogs and can't see riding in them. Too wide and not enough heel. I think they would slip around too much too unless you have super thick legs as the calf is pretty big too.

My Muck Boot Brit Middie is the best for mucking and riding as they are waterproof and sturdy, with a heel and work for riding, but Muck Boot discontinued them. There is a Mudrucker version that I've never tried that might work as well.

Update to this... I did ride in my Bogs. They have been AWESOME winter boots for me--they keep my feet toasty warm. I went on a trail ride the other day and didn't bother to change out of them, and they were just fine for that. I had no problem with them fitting into the stirrups at all, and didn't feel that they impeded my ankle flexibility. They were quite comfy actually.

I don't know that I'd wear them for more intense types of riding where the leg aids come into play more--jumping or dressage--just because of the handles rubbing. For a trail ride, though, the handles didn't bother me a bit. I didn't even notice them.

After posting on this thread that I wouldn't ride in mine (the Taylor, with flat soles), I happened to pick up a pair of the Bogs Rider boots on sale at this place http://www.winterfootwear.com/p2939c143b141-bogs_rider_womens_rubber_boots.html. I didn't buy them intending to ride in them, but thought the taller height would be helpful in the swampy mudhole that I board at, and that the different sole and heel might give me more traction. But I did ride in them one day when the vet needed to see my horse under saddle and I was hurrying so didn't change and they worked decently. They did squeak like crazy however!

Anyone looking for some Bogs might check that same place out as they had some good prices on other models. I was leery about it as I'd never heard of the place, but my order worked out fine.

Wow horsepoor, if those are as good as the regular Bogs classic high boots I have, they are a steal at that price. And free shipping...hmmm wonder if hubby would notice if I had 3 pairs of Bogs. I have short and high now and love them. They fit my larger calves too. Any idea if the rider boots fit a larger calf? I even convinced hubby to give them a try, as he has a genetic allergy to coldness (Raynaud's) and he grocery shops in his now.

I'm not sure the Bogs Rider would accommodate a larger calf - -mine are pretty slim (I wear a 13 calf in half chaps) and they are a nice fit, not too loose, which I like as hay and shavings don't go inside them. For the price, especially, I was super pleased.

I have these bogs http://www.doversaddlery.com/bogs-cl...q5iq55wcgg5pjq and I have ridden in them a few times. I have never had a problem with them being too wide for the stirrups. Is there the recommended 1/2-1/4 inch space on each side of my foot on the stirrup with Bogs? No. Is there a heel? No. So just don't wear them for pony club functions! Of course I prefer my regular boots and half chaps most of the time, but when it is especially cold, I have been known to just leave on my toasty bogs.

I've ridden in my bogs and found that my leg aids weren't as effective. Although my kick had more power! Lol.