The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vacation in Tucson. Riding opportunities?

Some of my long-lost high school buddies and I are going to Tucson soon. Two of us ride. Is there anyplace nice to trail ride, or see some scenery from the back of a horse? We are staying at the Arizona Inn if that helps any. Thanks!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Not sure about that, but there is the A rated H/J show starting on Nov 2 I believe. At least, that's the week I'll be there. My barn is going for 2 weeks. Usually get horses from all over (including Canada). Nice Grand Prix on Sunday afternoons. Show runs for 6 weeks I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Not sure about that, but there is the A rated H/J show starting on Nov 2 I believe. At least, that's the week I'll be there. My barn is going for 2 weeks. Usually get horses from all over (including Canada). Nice Grand Prix on Sunday afternoons. Show runs for 6 weeks I think.
    This one's three weeks - the HITS shows are 6 weeks, I think starting in February (maybe late January? Usually the week after our January dressage show in the same place).

I don't think there's any trail riding that will go faster than a walk in Tucson. Pusch Ridge Stables and the stables at Colossal Cave are the ones I've heard most about. There's also a ride from Pantano Stables which is a sunset ride - you end up at a restaurant for dinner at the end of it. Personally, I would do the Colossal Cave ride. All trail rides that I know of will use western saddles.

I'm not sure if either Miraval or Tanque Verde Guest Ranch have trail rides for non-guests, but you can check with them as well. They are in gorgeous areas!

There's also someone who may be back in town now (they go out of town for summer) who does rides out more by Cochise's Stronghold. They're more expensive, but more worth it and will go faster than a walk. They're more of a drive, too, but if you're interested I will see what I can find out for you.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed