The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retirement Homes

Hello! I know this isn't quite hunting related, but I thought this audience might be helpful.

I have a rescue TB that I picked up this summer. He's a very sweet boy, and we were hoping he might make a good low level eventer and field hunter. My husband and I both ride, so he was going to hopefully work for one or both of us. Well, after about 3-4 months of training and rehab it has become clear that he is not sound enough for our plans. X-rays a few weeks ago showed ringbone in his front pasterns. He is quiet and might make a good pleasure or light trail horse.

So here's my dilemma...a horse like this is a very hard give-away right now. I would love to find him a person to love him and give him a job, but this might not be realistic. I also don't have time and space to care for another pasture ornament right now. I am looking into letting him just retire. He raced for many years, and I feel he deserves a good life.

Do you have an suggestions for reasonable retirement homes? I know this group has a lot of contacts in the VA/Carolinas where more retirement home exist than here in soon-to-be-frozen New England. Thank you for your help!!

Paradigm farms is a lovely retirement farm. But it is not a rescue, you would be paying board/fees/etc.

You could also consider posting your horse onthe Chronicle giveaways forum.

I would love to be able to find him a new home, but if not, I am willing to support him. I took him on, so I feel as though I have a bit of an obligation to him. So, I was hoping to find a nice, but reasonable retirement home for him in case I can't place him. Just trying to check out my options right now. I know there are quite a few out there, so looking for input. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks!

My horse is retired and I just pasture board her with a friend. She's as happy as a clam grazing and being with friends all day. Is that an option if you don't have the room at your place, pasture boarding somewhere close to you?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

What about a local therapeutic riding center?
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

For a retirement home, I would recommend Hunt Ridge Stables at Blue Ridge Farm in Upperville, VA (which is a fixture of the Piedmont Foxhounds). I have one of mine retired there, and another COTH poster also has a horse there. The farm itself is 500+ acres, with gorgeous fields, great grass, and the retiree field is lightly populated and lush. All 3-board fencing, huge run-in shed, and constant running water source. Fed grain 1x/day, wormed monthly, trimmed 4-5x year, checked daily. The BM is a vet tech, and is also a breeder and racehorse owner (and many of her ex-racehorses have turned into simply lovely hunt horses). The care is excellent, the price is reasonable, and the horses are fat and happy. PM if you want contact info.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles