The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for recommendation for trailer repair/custom work place in MD/VA

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good place that does trailer work in MD or VA (I'm fairly flexible about location and somewhat willing to travel for quality)? I'm not looking for annual-servicing sort of mechanical work, but rather somewhere to do things like, say, jack replacement, and more cosmetic-type but not merely minor interior work (i.e., more than just installing hooks). Ideally, I'd like high quality work and people who are easy to work with.

I feel like there must be places like this out there somewhere, considering what a horsey area this is, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

http://www.taylorboyz.com/ (And no, their website isn't fancy!)

These guys are located in Midland, about 6 miles outside of Warrenton. They do great work.

Trailer Care in Hamilton, VA, did a custom conversion for me that was perfect. They turned the solid dressing-room wall into a swinging door that can be locked open or shut. It's open for going to CDE's with my single pony, and shut when I haul multiple horses or go to riding destinations.

I second Trailer Care in Hamilton. They do great work and the guys are very reasonable in coming up with mods & repairs.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Oh wow, thanks guys! That was so quick! I'm so grateful!

TimelyCare, can you tell me anything about the sort of thing TaylorBoyz has done for you (or that you know they've done?). They are further from me, which isn't necessarily an issue, but I wouldn't mind knowing more about them in attempting to make a decision.

I took it in because my husband broke the jack after he left the tailgate down. I asked them to go over it and check it for safety. It had just been inspected the week before, (not by them).

They replaced the jack, repaired the ramp that had 3 rusted out areas that I didn't know about, repaired the brakes that the previous guy had wired incorrectly, replaced the wiring harness and connectors, replaced the license light, checked and replaced the emergency brake battery, repacked the bearings, reinspected it and put on 4 brand new tires. Most of my cost was in the tires.

Since you are in MD, you could try Burdette Brothers:

http://www.burdettebrothers.com/

I've had my trailer there a couple of times and they sell trailers. I found that they will tell you if they can do the work or not. And if they can't, they may know someone in the area that could. That is assuming it is easier for you to stay on the MD side of the river :LOL:

Burdette might be worth looking in to - they have a body shop for trucks, so perhaps they can do work on trailers.

Timely, thanks for that. Sounds like they didn't do anything inside for you - like ffixing/floors or doors - llike the custom conversion thing zella had done - but I've seen elsewhere on the forums that people have used them for body work and that sort of thing, so I'll definitely check them out.

Thanks so much for these everyone - and if anyone else has used any of these, or has any other suggestions, I'm still collecting names!