The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prascend - Fact or Fiction?

Word on the street has it that the FDA has approved this Pergolide for use in the USA (has been in Europe for a year) and will, therefore, wipe out all compounded Pergolide in the USA. Allegedly, they must stop selling Pergolide and we will see a big price jump. It will be a "monopoly."

What say you out there in COTH-land?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

You might know....and the compounded Pergolide isn't cheap! Thanks for the info.

Default Bumping This Back Up

Just got off the phone with my vet's receptionist. She was talking about this new drug that just came out on the market. I missed the name, but with a little bit of Googling, I came up with this. Then, of course I had to come on CoTH to see what others had to say.

So, has anyone tried it yet? I'm debating about trying it for a month when I need to reorder again.

According to the receptionist, pills cannot be crushed (or are not recommended to be crushed do to the possibility of a human inhaling the drug) but can either be fed whole or dissolved in a little bit of water. Not sure if Gus would actually eat the pill...and dissolving in water isn't really feasible at our boarding barn...

Anyways, sounded interesting. Supposedly there was a study done and it shows that the amount of pergolide being absorbed into the body decreases over time. In some cases, significantly, so much so that by the time the consumer receives the product to achieve the recommended dosage, you'd almost need to double dose. I knew that pergolide had a very short shelf-life, which is why my vet only dispenses out a month's doseage at time.

FWIW, I get my peroglide from Wedgewood - 1mg capsules. Previously I did 1mg flavor-tabs, but Gus decided they were the enemy and opted to not eat them any more, even when crushed. With the capsules, my BO & BM just open them up and sprinkle on his grain. He eats it, no problem.

So, any experience? thoughts?
    Last edited by appychik; Nov. 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

this link may be of interest. http://hoofcare.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    this link may be of interest. http://hoofcare.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for the link.

You haven't had any customers start using this new drug, have you?
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Not yet.

A bit like the 'name brand' vs 'generic' drug issue. From what I understand, the dosing is different and the price will be higher.

The capsules I use are super easy to open and sprinkle on food; a tablet will be a PITA if it can't be crushed. There are warnings about the dangers of inhaling and ingesting Pergolide. We may have to handle the tablets more, which could be more dangerous.

I belong to the ECIR group and I'll post any info from there when it's available.

Word on the street is that compounding of pergolide will still be permitted.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Word on the street is that compounding of pergolide will still be permitted.
    How and according to?

Speaker at a recent CE meeting.
    Don't want to quote without permission.

Speaker at a recent CE meeting.
    Don't want to quote without permission.
    That doesn't pass the common sense test but who knows......

Why not?
    You can get compounded phenylbutazone and many other drugs which are available in an approved form pretty readily.

Why not?
    You can get compounded phenylbutazone and many other drugs which are available in an approved form pretty readily.
    Well, you can get any drug you want compounded, that is not an issue, including phenylbutazone, can a vet write a script for it, no way.

If you say so...

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    Not sure why anyone thinks there is anything new about this? Pergolide has been the drug of choice for the treatment of equine Cushings for years and years. I used it more than 10 years ago as the brand name, Permax. While compounded versions for veterinary use were also available back then, some research (see Matt and Susan Frederick's FOUNDER! Hope for Refractory Laminitis) suggested the compounded generics weren't as effective as the brand name drug, at least for controlling chronic laminitis caused by metabolic problems.

Permax was available by prescription from a human pharmacy before the FDA yanked its approval for humans. It came in tablet form (suspiciously like this so called "new" drug). The tablet dissolved very easily in warm water. The cost was $5.00 per tablet (or $150/month) and at that price I wasn't about to just toss the tablet into the feed. I'd place one in a 3 or 5 cc syringe, add a little warm water, shake and squirt in mouth.

If you say so...
    You may not know but there is a difference between the law and what "is out there."

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    You may not know but there is a difference between the law and what "is out there."
    Wow, without fail, if there is a thread that mentions compounding or drugs that may or may not be "approved" for use in the US, davistina67 is on the thread as the compounding/drug police.

Quote Originally Posted by elctrnc View Post
    Wow, without fail, if there is a thread that mentions compounding or drugs that may or may not be "approved" for use in the US, davistina67 is on the thread as the compounding/drug police.
    And you have a problem with someone that wants to make sure that there is accurate information out there? It is to bad when there are public boards and people post things like you can get bute compounded, yes, you can. I would guess you can get crystal meth compounded to but in reality it is not accurate. Nearly every vet in the country received a letter many years ago stating that you can not get bute compounded. It has been in every vet journal multiple times. So it's nice to know people like you don't care if info is not correct.
    Last edited by davistina67; Nov. 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    And you have a problem with someone that wants to make sure that there is accurate information out there? It is to bad when there are public boards and people post things like you can get bute compounded, yes, you can. I would guess you can get crystal meth compounded to but in reality it is not accurate. Nearly every vet in the country received a letter many years ago stating that you can not get bute compounded. It has been in every vet journal multiple times. So it's nice to know people like you don't care if info is not correct.
    "People like [me] don't care if info is correct"? Look, it's nice to have a cause, and you certainly have one. But if you think that people are going to trust some random person on the internet more than their vet, you are mistaken.

You absolutely can get bute compounded....it's not "inaccurate" as you state above. Perhaps you are not aware that there are vets on this thread. Now whether YOU think that is legal or correct or ethical is another question. And then refer to my comment above--if you think people are going to believe you more than their vet, you are mistaken.

What do you know about vet law? Do you even own a horse? Like I said, you can get any drug compounded. If a vet is writing a script to get buye compounded I would run in the other direction fast. One of two things, they either are not educated or they don't give a crap. You obviously ate not aware of the big to/do about 4 years ago concerning this very matter. You may want to research a bit before you mislead people.