The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weight gain supplements for picky old horse.

I have a 24 year old Tb gelding,that I have had since he was 5.
    He has always been very picky about food, every winter he loses a little bit of weight after the grass stops growing.
    The horse has never liked hay,he will pick through the alfalfa,and just eat the leaves,turns his nose up at grass hay,and will walk to the fence line to chew on some old weed left standing.
    Oil in feed,no way,tried Amplify,nope,he'd rather starve.
    What he does eat is a locally milled high fat feed with flax added to it,I also add some additional flax to his diet,because he will eat that.I have been trying to feed him an extra meal at noon,but that is not always possible.
    He also gets soaked alfalfa cubes and beet pulp,but once again he will only eat so much,and then he walks away and leaves the rest.
    This horse has always been like this,but when he was younger I really didn't worry so much about him losing a little weight in the winter,but now I do.
    So what tasty weight supplements are there out there?
    Thanks!

I have a 27 year old Holsteiner like this, he will walk away from what looks like extra tasty food to any other equine. I found that adding lots of Calf Manna to his grain helps him eat better. He really likes the liquorice taste. When I use the Calf Manna I can even add some oil and some "hard keeper" supplement. He did not like the pelleted Amplify- tried to pick around it.

Omegatin. Never had a horse every turn their nose up at it. It's a high fat supplement, comes in a 50# bag, made by Blue Seal I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    I have a 27 year old Holsteiner like this, he will walk away from what looks like extra tasty food to any other equine. I found that adding lots of Calf Manna to his grain helps him eat better. He really likes the liquorice taste. When I use the Calf Manna I can even add some oil and some "hard keeper" supplement. He did not like the pelleted Amplify- tried to pick around it.
    Yup, sprinkle some Calf Manna in there. Heck, I'd eat the stuff it smells so good!

Also, try him on some rice bran. It's a powder, and you can mix it right into the feed and wet it down. My hard keeper gets fat on it, and he'll lick the powder up.

My mare wouldn't eat the rice bran powder, but there is a rice bran pellet that she gobbles right up. I believe it's equigold or something like that. It put tons of weight on her. She is a picky 24 yo TB also. I have the opposite problem though. She will eat hay all day long, it's getting grain into her that is tricky. We found that she is happiest if we soak all her grain and let it turn into a mash. She doesn't leave a drop.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Legends Omega Plus. Also a fat supplement in 50# bag. The base is rice bran and flax. Smells like vanilla cookies and it's a very small nugget - looks like cat or kitten food. Put weight on my older gelding, he loves it - and it's 1800 cals per pound so you don't need alot.

DAC Bloom- horses love it! My guy licks his bowl clean each meal because of it. It is supposed to be flavored like butterscotch. It smells delicious. Even another horse at the barn will dig through his feed looking for it!

Some good suggestions.
    Thanks!