The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this advice completely wrong?

Looking at Judge My Ride on facebook, someone posted a jumping picture. A random person offered critique, including this:
    and try not to actually "hold on" to your horses neck when you get up in half seat. you always want to have your hands floating above your horses neck. always.
    Now, I could see this if it was on the flat, but in the middle of a jump? Thoughts?

Hmm. I would definitely say that's false. You don't want your hands, therefore your upper body, relying on the horse's neck for support (independent), but they shouldn't be floating above... They should be resting on the crest or in an auto release.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Yes, it is completely wrong with regard to jumping.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Just read the GM jumping clinic in PH every month - he ALWAYS complains about this. He states the crest release is to allow the hands to support the rider and prevent them from punishing the horse. Once they have an independent seat and don't need the support they should move to the automatic release.

Christa

If by 'always', the poster means 'never', then yes they are correct.

Read GM's jumping clinic in Practical Horseman...every month he gets after someone whose hands are floating above the neck.

That's the risk in asking complete strangers for advice. (Yes, I realize the irony in that statement: COTH is all about asking complete strangers for advice.)
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    If by 'always', the poster means 'never', then yes they are correct.

Read GM's jumping clinic in Practical Horseman...every month he gets after someone whose hands are floating above the neck.

That's the risk in asking complete strangers for advice. (Yes, I realize the irony in that statement: COTH is all about asking complete strangers for advice.)
    at multiple parts of this response. I was going to say, if by 'hovering above the neck' they mean hovering at the side, it better be in the form of an automatic release and they better be a good rider!
    Last edited by hydro101; Oct. 18, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: one wrong letter made the sentence impossible to understand!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

ABOVE the neck is never correct
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Okay, so this isn't some new "rule" that I missed! I know GM hates the floating/too high hand, but then he also hates the popular "throwing yourself on your horse's neck and grabbing his ears" trend.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    ...but then he also hates the popular "throwing yourself on your horse's neck and grabbing his ears" trend.
    But then how am I supposed to steer?
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Okay, so this isn't some new "rule" that I missed! I know GM hates the floating/too high hand, but then he also hates the popular "throwing yourself on your horse's neck and grabbing his ears" trend.
    Also known as my release when I actually see a distance from far out. My trainer is always like "Seriously, why do you have to do that?"

He hates extremes on either end of the scale.

You aren't supposed to grab the ears, you are supposed to gently rotate them forward with your fingertips. You know, so they look good for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    You aren't supposed to grab the ears, you are supposed to gently rotate them forward with your fingertips. You know, so they look good for the pictures.
    <like>

Quote Originally Posted by Madaketmomma View Post
    Also known as my release when I actually see a distance from far out. My trainer is always like "Seriously, why do you have to do that?"
    Seriously. What is it about long spots that makes me thinking throwing my body halfway to my horse's head (and even one time, over it) will help her get to the jump?

And I hope that there were other critiques on that girl's picture saying that the floating release is wrong, oh so wrong!

That's because he likes correct. And correct is somewhere in between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post

Oh, thank you for that fordtraktor. It was a very slow day at the firm.