The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much fence is too much? Electric

Just plugged in the new fence and we are getting readings of 8.8-9kv on the tester. Is that way too strong of a shock? The ground here is completely saturated right now as it has been raining for a week.

We disconnected the 15mile charger and hooked up a smaller charger (2mile) and the reading is about 2.8-3.3kv. Is that enough?

Also, we have the bottom wire set up with a switch so that we can turn it off when the grass/snow gets too high. However, when we turn off that line, we are still getting a low reading on that tape. Thoughts?

our recently passed gelding was a fence tester and would push through a low electric fence so in our opinion there is no such thing as "to hot" for a fence.

I want my horse to touch it and leap back and not want to touch it again.

on a side note it is also great for keeping dogs out, they hit that and even with a long thick coat feel it and run back home yelping

I've got an International charger capable of powering 100 miles of fence. I don't have anywhere near that much fence. It puts out 5000 to 6000 volts and a horse doesn't have any desire to "test" it a second time.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    I've got an International charger capable of powering 100 miles of fence. I don't have anywhere near that much fence. It puts out 5000 to 6000 volts and a horse doesn't have any desire to "test" it a second time.
    So what would you make of a reading of 9kv? Did we set it up wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    No !! You did well... You want the horse to touch it "once" and learn to avoid the fence. The whole point of electric fence is to keep the horses from touching it. 9 KV from a fencer will not kill but it sure stings.

No !! You did well... You want the horse to touch it "once" and learn to avoid the fence. The whole point of electric fence is to keep the horses from touching it. 9 KV from a fencer will not kill but it sure stings.

It's not the volts that are dangerous, it's the amps. But the volts give it quite a bite.

Likely it will decrease some when the ground is dry, too.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    It's not the volts that are dangerous, it's the amps. But the volts give it quite a bite.

Likely it will decrease some when the ground is dry, too.
    So should I go with the big charger? Smaller charger was giving readings of 2.8 - 3.3kv.

So should I go with the big charger? Smaller charger was giving readings of 2.8 - 3.3kv.
    I would. I've watches horses deliberately push through fences under 5kv.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I'd go with the big charger. Some horses will ignore the relatively mild shock your small charger is putting out.

Nothing more irritating than a horse that is escaping and damaging fences.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I'd keep it on the big charger. Wet ground will make it hotter. We just hooked up about 2000 feet of electrobraid with the 10 mile charger. It was so hot that my husband tested it and felt it through the tester. His knees and chest hurt for the rest of the night!

I'd go with the bigger one. 2 - 3 isn't much of a charge. Mine reads 13 - 15. When it gets below 4, my fence alarm gizmo gives me a 'not enough charge' warning.

do make sure that your charger pulses instead of a constant charge so that it is easier to escape the charge

Any thoughts on the voltage reading on the bottom tape when that line is supposed to be off? My father in law, who is an electrician, is coming to help us out this weekend, but if anyone has tips on where to start looking for the problem, it would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on the voltage reading on the bottom tape when that line is supposed to be off? My father in law, who is an electrician, is coming to help us out this weekend, but if anyone has tips on where to start looking for the problem, it would be appreciated.
    Inductive current. I spent an afternoon scratching my head over current bleed on parellel wires.

Nutshell: Electric current generates magentic field perpendicular to the axis of the current flow; collapse of a magnetic field causes current perpendicular to the axis of the field motion. When the current turns off on the hot wire, the mag field collapse across the other wire generates a bit of current that you can detect with a fence tester. Or your hand, like I did. I was getting around 1kv on the other lines.... But it works just like the ignition coils in a car.

So (let's just pretend I'm a dummy here) does that mean it's going to happen anyways? Or is there something I need to do to fix it?

Are there consequences if that bottom wire is being "grounded out" by snow all winter?

Thanks so much!

No consequences, and yes, it will happen anyways. I've heard that deliberately grounding the bottom lines helps. Haven't tried it.

That DOES however explain why my atm card always gets wiped out

Thanks so much for everyone's help.