The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Crosby Saddlery contact....

I am looking to find contact information for a Crosby Saddlery customer service number OR representative to inquire about the lifetime warranty of a saddle.

Can anyone help me out? The only info I found on the web was this: http://crosbysaddle.com/ which does not have any actual contact info. Other than that, I have been directed to retailers, not the actual maker.

Many thanks!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown

As far as I know, Crosby does not exist any longer. The "old" Crosby company now puts out....I want to say "Excelle" saddles?

The Crosby name now belongs to Bates. And you might as well not trouble yourself trying to get ahold of anyone useful there. You'll get nothing but awkward silence if you mention "tree guarantee."

I guess it depends on when you bought it....I might try contacting the retailer you bought it from, and see if they can give you any assistance. But if you bought it more than maybe four or five years ago, the company you bought it from no longer exists, if I'm remembering my Crosby history correctly.

Default Delightful

Well, this is more of a saddle warranty - the seat has pretty much fallen apart - and I'm not going to bother w/patching it, tried that before.

I will track down Bates and see what I can find out. Thanks for the heads up!

“A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown

Not to sound snarky, but is there a life time guarantee for the WHOLE saddle, seat, leather and all?

I thought most warranties were for the tree not to break.

How old is the saddle? Did Crosby do the first seat replacement?

I have an older Crosby that is well worn... because I rode in it a lot over the years, as I would expect.

Was there some sort of defect? Did all of the stitching fall out, or is the leather worn?

In general, "Lifetime" (or 3 or 5 or 10 year) warranty is for the tree, 1 year warranty is standard for the leather etc under normal use (so if your horse flips & breaks the tree or splits the seat etc, no warranty as this is not "intended" use of the saddle), then a company may also offer a 3 year guarantee on stitching etc ...

Crosby is better dealt with by going through a tack shop that sells Crosby/Weatherbeeta products as the company is notorious for not entering into any discussion with the actual product user.

Yes, if you love Crosby, try Exselle.

Default Warranty...

Yes I understand the lifetime warranty is for the tree - and by lifetime that means 10 years maximum and only if being the original owner.

The original stitching ( has not been patched or replaced) around the seat has completely come out, not something I have experienced before in this manner. The seat stuffing is literally falling out. I have had a small patch on another saddle, which wasn't worth the hassle and I am not interested in a patch for this spot.

My next questions is: Has anyone had a seat replaced? And is it worth the $500-$600 I've been quoted at? I'm not particularly attached to the saddle, except that it is a great fit on a very tricky backed horse....

If you're within the 1 year full waranty, this should be covered.
    If the stitching has come out but the leather is intact, it should be a less costly repair unless the leather is defective in some way, requiring complete replacement.

it is a great fit on a very tricky backed horse....
    then the saddle is likely worth repairing - a new Crosby usually retails for rather more than $600