The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat experts..behavior and neutering

It's time for Rupert to get neutered. He is scheduled for next Wednesday.

He's a great kitten, very affectionate, playful, silly....but very dominant. He and my male older kitty get along fine with each other. The older male doesn't care to be alpha. I will find them sleeping together, playing together, no issues.

Now with my spayed female..it's a different story. She is also alpha. Therefore kitten feels the need to prove to her that HE is now alpha. He chases her, stalks her. There's never any serious fighting, but she hides from him. And growls/hisses if she sees him in the room. He will just sit and stare at her.

He also is begging to get out...I'm assuming this will be resolved with neutering. No worries, we don't let him out, he just wants to get out.

My dogs are patient souls. One will put him in his place, but he isn't phased. I call him the little troll. He will run ahead of them on the staircase and play attack them as they are going up or down the stairs....he will hide under the office stairs and swat anyone who comes up or down. They will growl at him, snap at him or just ignore him....but it is clearly a "THESE STAIRS BELONG TO ME" attitude.

We love him to death...his momma was very strong natured...so I'm not sure if this is just his personality or if he will calm down once he is neutered.

Here's what he said when I broke the news to him about his appointment.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Some of the dominance may disappear, the testosterone induced kind, but actually calming down, well, he IS still a baby and full of piss and vinegar; everyone must pay the price for youthful silliness. Wanting out will most likely resovle itself within a few weeks, but the rest.........only time will do the job.

ETA: my old man, Da Lip, still stalks and pounces on me and other cats, so some behaviours remain. He is king of the house and he knows it, even the unspayed old girl living inside acknowledges that and gives way
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

honestly, sounds like its mostly his personality. I don't think fixing him will suddenly make him a lazy lap cat! At least I've never noticed a change like that after getting any of my cats fixed.

Our (relatively) new boy didn't change a whisker after neutering. Still stalking and pouncing and bouncing, etc. Still irritating the living hell out of the previously alpha female who, at the six month mark, is just now starting to move normally in her world again. The other two girls did get his number pretty quickly, though, so he's either uber-sneaky and quick or he gets a new hole somewhere.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Its cause he is orange! My orange female is crazy!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0930649&type=3
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by Justmyluck View Post
    Its cause he is orange! My orange female is crazy!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0930649&type=3
    I love orangies....that's the reason I took him.

My male cats I got as adults but my mom's male cat we've had since kittenhood. No change in his personality after neutering. And odd coincidence, he is also orange!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Maybe it has something to do with being orange

My old cat Lefty (RIP) who I owned from the time he was 4 weeks old to when he left us at age 16 was neutered at 9 mos. But that never stopped him from roaming and never stopped him from spraying.

These are dominance issues and some cats are high alphas.

As for being lively -- it's a kitten -- its suppose to be lively!

However I have to say my orange female (now 2) is the laziest cat I've ever seen...