The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Infrared Heaters for Barn?

I'm considering buying one of these: http://www.buytack.com/products-ranch/kec/main1.htm -- anyone have or use these?

My plan is to put this in the wash stall for late fall / early spring baths. But the other thing I like is these have a plug-in cord and do not need to be hard-wired. I have GFCI outlets at every stall, and was thinking - should someone get injured or sick during the winter, this could be hung in their stall to warm them up...so the portability factor (especially in an emergency) is important.

I've been through one serious injury and one serious illness during the dead of winter, and had no way to warm up either myself or the horse. Had to sleep in the barn one night when King was sick, and also had to run back-and-forth to the house tossing blankets into the dryer to keep bringing a warm one back to the barn when he got stuck in a blizzard, drenched to the skin and chilled to the bone.

I would not intend to leave it on unsupervised. Unplug it when I'm leaving.

Might also be nice for farrier and vet visits?

Thoughts about safety and effectiveness for my intended purpose?

I have one.

(I leave it turned on unsupervised all the time. Haven't had a problem in 14 years. I realize that doesn't mean you/I never will.)

It doesn't create a great deal of heat. It doesn't warm the air at all. If you're standing directly under it, you can feel a bit of warmth, almost like a bit of sunlight on your skin on a cold day.

I can't tell whether my horses appreciate it or not. They do often stand under it -- but only because it's right in front of the hay rack. I doubt my horse would seek it out otherwise. The little donkey does seem to appreciate it more. But he's shorter and not getting as much effect out of it. So it's hard to say.

On the bright side, we've had not one problem with it in 14 years. And on the very coldest nights, it makes me feel better knowing they have some little source of heat.

What wattage heater do you have? Would you say they were a waste of $$? I don't exactly have $200+ to just throw away.

I have one like the one shown in the picture for wash stall and the bulb type for each stall that sorts of dangle about five feet above the bedding. I like them and leave them on when necessary but you need to make sure to wrap the cord around rafter or something so if for some reason the heater should fall onto the bedding, the cord is unplugged from the outlet.

I was thinking about getting that same one for my wash rack, but not if you can barely feel it! I wonder if the one with more wattage would be warmer?

Ours generates tons of heat and I often have to turn down the power before my horse protests too loudly.

By the way, Infared is not meant to heat the air; it is meant to heat the objects (horse, people, etc), and the further it is away from the objects, the less effective it is. Now the transmitted heat from the heated objects may in turn warm the air but that is not its main goal. If you want the air to be heated, you need to use the forced air type. The open design of most barns and their dusty environment make forced air type infeasible, and that is why Infared is more common.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gloria -- THANK YOU! I am ordering immediately.

I love the one at our barn. perfect when you need to warm up a horse that got wet and chilled. Nice too to put your gloves on the horse's butt to warm up!

Ours is installed on a timer which is really nice since nobody loses sleep that it was mistakenly left on. I think it goes up to 45 minutes or an hour.

My previous barn had one and it was really nice.

Be careful in installing it, though. My horse (old campaigner, but occasionally prone to meltdown at slight provocation) once did a spaz in the wash stall crossties when another horse was running around outside on a windy fall day, reared up, hit the heater, cut his head open, fell down in the wash stall and heater came down on top of him, thrashed around a bit, and otherwise created a disaster, wrecking the heater. I bought the BO a new infrared heater, set of crossties and ladder and had a vet bill to boot -- expensive wreck. I think that 30 seconds cost me around $500 total. Horse was OK, luckily -- sore for a few days but no major harm done.

If you do go for it I would hang it very high, and/or offset it so it is not directly above the horse. My BO replaced hers with 2 offset ones so there was not something directly above the middle of the crossties.

I ask our electrician, that is also a personal friend, about some kind of heaters, the idea to hang one or two on the long shed, so horses can stand under them when it is so very cold.
    He keeps nixing the idea, saying why heat so much air so expensively for practically no gain?
    He seems to think they cost very much to run and don't really heat hardly enough.

Will ask him again, now that I have more specific information.

Bluey-- these infrared heaters are not supposed to heat the air, just the objects. I've got mine ordered, will see how it goes.

A few winters ago, I got stuck in the city when an ice storm / blizzard rolled in. Eli and King were outside when I left, and the weather was perfectly fine for them at that time. When I got home, though, it was just gawdawful, and King was 28 at the time. Both horses were wet to the bone, covered with ice -- they were too scared to go into the run-in shed because the ice was pelting down on the metal roof and spooking them. I had to go out and bring them in with halter and lead.

Eli was fine -- he is big and fat and young. But King was chilled and shaking and in a bad way. I would have given anything to have some heat in the barn that night! I ran back-and-forth between house and barn (in the middle of an ice storm / blizzard) heating up blankets and towels in the dryer and running back out to warm him up with them.

King was fine the next day, but I was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Bluey-- these infrared heaters are not supposed to heat the air, just the objects. I've got mine ordered, will see how it goes.

A few winters ago, I got stuck in the city when an ice storm / blizzard rolled in. Eli and King were outside when I left, and the weather was perfectly fine for them at that time. When I got home, though, it was just gawdawful, and King was 28 at the time. Both horses were wet to the bone, covered with ice -- they were too scared to go into the run-in shed because the ice was pelting down on the metal roof and spooking them. I had to go out and bring them in with halter and lead.

Eli was fine -- he is big and fat and young. But King was chilled and shaking and in a bad way. I would have given anything to have some heat in the barn that night! I ran back-and-forth between house and barn (in the middle of an ice storm / blizzard) heating up blankets and towels in the dryer and running back out to warm him up with them.

King was fine the next day, but I was sick!
    I left a message, the electrician will call back when he has a minute.
    I wonder, would a horse stand under there and get too hot before he realizes it is getting too hot, if that heats directly, not with forced air?

Guess not, since other's didn't have a problem with that.

I too would like to have some way to heat a horse in an emergency, more than hard hand rubbing with towels and a hair drier we used on a horse that fell thru the ice into a pond many years ago.
    He also was under vet supervision, with fluids and medication, he had chilled down so much he was in shock.
    His legs were swollen from that for a few days, but he was fine afterwards.

I have used our regular well house electric heater we have in the tack room, but you have to be right there watching it.
    It would be nice to have something you can turn on and leave there for them thru the night and day, even if regulated with a timer.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

turns out that one of my renters works for a company that sells stuff like this. Be happy to give you her email address so you can ask about this specifically if you'd like. Just PM me.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Gloria, what size is yours? Or wattage rather?

Ours is the HS-2420, 2000 watts, 8.3 amps - 65" heater. I also purchased a wall mount intensity countrol and two heavy duty protective guard grills.

We hang it by chains (included in the package if I remember correctly) so if the horses should rear up and bump into it, it will swing away. The guard grills protect them from getting burnt. I asked our electrician to cast all cords in metal tubes so mice can't get to them (huge electric fire hazard). If you use just one heater per wash stall, you want to mount it so it run the same direction as the horse' spine, a few feet above its back. If you mount it too high, its effectiveness reduces dramatically.

Hope that help

The one my horse hit was hung on the chains. Came off the chain hooks and fell on him when he smacked it with his head. He did really crunch it so perhaps that made a difference, if he had lightly grazed it it might have swung nicely away.

Regardless, it did not improve the situation. I know, I have the worst luck and run into some freaky accidents, but there you have it.

Don't know if this would have helped in your situation, fordtraktor, but the company recommends taking a pair of pliers and pinching the S-connectors closed on the chains -- both at the light and at the ceiling hook. They specifically said this is in case your horse bumps it, so the chains will not detach.

1 members found this post helpful.

Makes sense. I can't say whether that had been done or not, I just boarded and was not around when the heater was installed.

My horse's most serious injury was a long deepish cut on his poll area/forehead, caused by striking the edge of the heater when he reared -- so that would not have been helped had it not fallen. His other cuts were mostly to his legs, none of which were severe and it was impossible to tell which were the result of hitting the heater and which were from other things (he decimated a step stool and muck cart thrashing about). All in all, however, it was very scary and he could easily have been more seriously injured or even broken a leg. I do not think he would have fallen if he had not struck the heater, that blow shocked and stunned him as he seemed to think he had more room than he did to be naughty. Not a young horse either, 15 at the time and spent his life being crosstied in perfect harmony. Stood in crossties under that very heater every day for 5 years with no other problems. Has been crosstied hundreds of times since with no problem. Horses!

I did want to pass along the wreck, because it could have been very serious and in retrospect I do not think it is a great idea to hang a large object a couple of feet above a horse as a general matter. I liked the warmth of the heater but I do not have one in my barn, despite living in a much colder climate. Not worth the risk to me -- if you hang it high enough to be safe, it is going to be ineffective given the nature of infrared.

Infrared heaters are the heaters which uses infrared radiation to warm the desired area. These are best to use as they are cheap and does not use any extra fuel or electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by christysinha View Post
    Infrared heaters are the heaters which uses infrared radiation to warm the desired area. These are best to use as they are cheap and does not use any extra fuel or electricity.
    Of course they use electricity! A 1500 watt heater uses 1500 watts, no matter whether it is ceramic or convectional. (Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.)