The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Mary Wanless Clinic

There's a Mary Wanless clinic coming up soon not too far from me.

I won't be riding in it, but I was thinking of auditing. Has anyone audited one of her clinics before? It's $30 per day including lunch and auditors get to participate in an umounted workshop. Since I'm on a limited budget right now I was wondering if this clinic is a "must do" as an auditor.

I recently got one of her books, and I'm reading through it right now. I think it would be worthwhile to go to the clinic, but I just wanted to check in with other people experiences.

Do as much as you can, and you will not regret it!

I attended a couple of clinics and unmounted workshops with MW before I rode with her. I got a lot out of it--perhaps even more when auditing than I did riding.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

do it! I have audited and ridden in her clinics. I unfortunately had to drop out of the one in late October but will try to audit 1-2 half days.
    You will get more than your money's worth!
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

Do you mean the "Ride with your Mind" in Damascus, MD. I'm hoping to audit myself. I'm also really tight this semester (one of my classes was canceled) so I understand your pain. Everything I've heard says it's money well spent! She was also recommended to my by a few people.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'd audit, but will not ride with her again. She might be more dioplomatic in front of an audience, but she was insulting during my private lesson with her.

Wow! Really? Would you care to elaborate?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I just dropped $200 to audit a Robert Dover clinic. Yes, it was pricey. But it was totally worth it. I came home with about 10 pages of notes and hours of video. Yes the price was steep but wow, just wow, I learned a lot, and I am nowhere near the upper levels and my horse and I are not even remotely in the same universe as the riders and horses I saw this weekend. (To that point the eye candy alone was almost worth the money, because I don't generally get to see that quality of horse and rider at local shows.) My trainer was there too, and I had the best ride I've ever had on my horse last night in my lesson, as we applied some things we learned.

To get the most out of a clinic take a notebook, and if you can, a small camera to capture video of the clinician teaching. Long and short, I think auditing clinics regularly is a great way to increase your learning.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    I'd audit, but will not ride with her again. She might be more dioplomatic in front of an audience, but she was insulting during my private lesson with her.
    I had the same experiencce.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Robert Dover proved himself with Olympic medals and years of fabulous training, riding etc.

Has MW ever produced a trained horse that did well, or ridden one in a test for decent scores? I mean, what credentials does she have, besides her own books and claims to have helped people? I know there is one top rider who worked with her, but to date there is just that one, and no doubt that rider would be where she is with or without MW, and who knows if it is a paid endorsement or what the deal is.

I ordered a few of her books years ago, and while she has a few good suggestions and analogies, in the end, they did not help my riding all that much and the same information is avail elswhere. She doesn't have any degrees far as I know in bodywork or anatomy nor a certified pilates or any other kind of certifcation such as alexander technique cert..if she has helped some people that is wonderful, but certainly she does not have the credentials to be rude if that is what she was in a clinic.

PS, the best help I got recently for canter seat was a Nancy Later online video at dressagetrainingonline, cleared a blockage up I had for years if anyone else can be helped by it.

Just went thru the website. Looks like a 'dressage' version of the P's...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I just dropped $200 to audit a Robert Dover clinic. Yes, it was pricey. But it was totally worth it. I came home with about 10 pages of notes and hours of video. Yes the price was steep but wow, just wow, I learned a lot, and I am nowhere near the upper levels and my horse and I are not even remotely in the same universe as the riders and horses I saw this weekend. (To that point the eye candy alone was almost worth the money, because I don't generally get to see that quality of horse and rider at local shows.) My trainer was there too, and I had the best ride I've ever had on my horse last night in my lesson, as we applied some things we learned.

To get the most out of a clinic take a notebook, and if you can, a small camera to capture video of the clinician teaching. Long and short, I think auditing clinics regularly is a great way to increase your learning.
    FWIW MW had quite the hissy fit when she caught someone who was not with me taping my ride, even though I said I didn't mind.

It's been 6 years so maybe she has changed, but don't count on it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post

Has MW ever produced a trained horse that did well, or ridden one in a test for decent scores? I mean, what credentials does she have, besides her own books and claims to have helped people? I know there is one top rider who worked with her, but to date there is just that one, and no doubt that rider would be where she is with or without MW, and who knows if it is a paid endorsement or what the deal is.
    First of all, MW is an instructor, not a horse trainer. How many trainers, particularly non-USA based, do you know who have helped scores of riders at the lower levels? Say Intro-4th? It seems to that that is her schtick, and you don't become a household name doing that. She has only become well known because of her writing and videos which are mostly about rider education theory.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    The analogy is completely inapt. P & L Parrelli have invented their own equestrian discipline. It is mostly done in hand "ground work games." MW comes from the Pony Club and British Horse system and her students compete in that system.

She is open to any approach that works and has studied how the top riders ride and how to teach that.

I am aware that she is an instructor, not a trainer, therefore I asked, since she has not produced trained horses, what other credentials or proof is out there of competence besides hew own books claiming she has helped people? I asked for either a few even lower level test ride scores (which most dressage instructors could produce), or if not that, then a certifcation in body work such as Alexander Technique or Pilates...that is not there either. It is just my personal thing, I put less faith in taking advice from someone who isn't either certified in body work ( yets talks endlessly in her books about body work and Alexander Technique and this and that system, etc), or who runs a riding school where students get at least consistent results in lower level shows. I don't think that is too much to ask for, and she has been around for decades, one would think in all this time she could have at least become certified in some kind of bodywork?

I have friends who are certified massage therapists and chiropractors that I can sit down and have a conversation with about body work and I know they studied for years and have licenses etc.

Like I said, if she helps people that is great. Her books were okay, but it is kind of like one book that she then rewrote with different titles, a combo of bodywork all kinds and rider analogies and anectdotes etc...there is some worthy advice within them and no doubt in her clinics. I just find her whole system/presence a bit of a mystery but maybe I am missing something...

Like I said, if she helps people that is great. Her books were okay, but it is kind of like one book that she then rewrote with different titles, a combo of bodywork all kinds and rider analogies and anectdotes etc...there is some worthy advice within them and no doubt in her clinics. I just find her whole system/presence a bit of a mystery but maybe I am missing something...
    I guess that you just don't get out much. Aside from Heather Blitz, Jane Hannigan (Maksmilyan) also rode with her. Do a search on this forum and you will see that scores of people have stated that she helped them. Isabel Solace on this board is student and an admirer.

You could just look at her site. I think she has a physics background (biomechanics). She brings a multi-disciplinary approach to teaching riding, and has integrated techniques from various bodywork systems into her own BSHI certication and physics degree.

Is she the second coming for riders? I don't think so, and she certainly doesn't claim to be. Her teachings have been around for well over 30 years now, so for younger people, it must seem like common knowledge. I assure you it was not so common when i clinicked with her back in the eighties....

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Agree 100%. Audited her clinic a few years ago & did get this vibe.

I am aware of Heather Blitz ( mentioned her as top rider in my prior posts). That is only one endorsement, but a strong one...I acknowledge she has helped some people ( and not others, per mixed reviews). I just think her books, having niavely bought a few at one time, are very wordy and have at essence only a few real principles to impart and the books are all somehow variations of each other with different titles. A mix imo of some good advice with a lot of filler...perhaps her clinics are of value to watch re how other riders learn and adapt live and in motion.

I just find her whole system/presence a bit of a mystery but maybe I am missing something...
    My good friend read her books and described MW's system as ethereal/hocus pocus. She told me not to bother with them as my friend felt that I am too grounded and practical to "get it".
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

Quote Originally Posted by INoMrEd View Post
    My good friend read her books and described MW's system as ethereal/hocus pocus. She told me not to bother with them as my friend felt that I am too grounded and practical to "get it".
    Ummm, yup. Left brained "engineers" do not do well attempting to peel their butt off the saddle like velcro.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

She is definately NOT like the "P's". She works on you and how your position affects the horse...any horse. The clinic I rode in had multiple levels of riders/horses yet she focused on the riders effectiveness, she did not care what level you were at.
    If you can go all three days it's worth it. BTW, I have been riding with Jane Hannigan for years and she does practice a lot of the methods without actually referring to them as "Wanless".
    MW does not sell you any carrot sticks and makes you work your butt off!!!
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks