The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with my canter!

Usually Lexi is pretty good about cantering, but sometimes she tends to get a little quick. Not race horse quick, but enough that it could be slowed down. I can feel that around our corners she drops her shoulder and gets very front ended. I try to step out and pick her up and balance her back on her hind end, but it doesn't make a difference.

Any help? Exercises that might make a difference?

Thanks in advance
    In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
    In The Nick of Time

The leaning and quickness could be due to not being strong enough to balance properly in the turn (hence leaning) or bad habit from training (strong enough but being allowed to get away with an incorrect 'habit').

I would work on moving off your inside/outside aids on a 20 or 25 meter circle at the trot first, and once successful i.e. balanced, correct establishment of inside bend to turning off outside aids to inside bend, etc. then move on to the canter. Bigger circle at first might help with the balancing and provide less likelihood of leaning... I've found the greener guys want to lean MORE as the circle gets smaller. LOTS of inside leg to pick them up and get that bend. And repetition! Good luck! I'm sure others will chime in soon with more advice/different exercises.

Thanks Hydro! I think its a habit that I've been letting her get away with because if I turn her in a small circle at the canter, she'll balance up very nicely and push off her hindquarters, but if we are going around full arena, she'll drop in at the corners. My fault... >.<

Anyone else?
    In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
    In The Nick of Time