The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse manure claimed a "problem" in NYC

Here's a link about a story on horse manure. Can you believe it? A story on horse manure! This must have been a slow news day before all the OWS portests that are mentioned on another thread heated up.

Ironically, the commercial that aired just prior to this story (at least when I watched it) was for a limo service that uses fossil fueled vehicles instead of horses.

http://http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/6340509-exclusive-horse-manure-becoming-an-epidemic-in-and-around-central-park/

I will note that the RARA people who have been very vocal in the past about the use of carriage horses in NYC have had practically NOTHING to say about the use of horses by police UNTIL NOW.

A check of one of their Facebook pages shows they are now concerned about the use of Police Horses, BUT not about their manure. Apparently, police horse manure dosn't bother them, just carriage horse manure.

http://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty

This actually shows them posting about the NYPD "putting horses in danger" during the Occupy Wall Street protests.

I am really worried that the "manure angle" may be used to remove horse-drawn carriages from cities, but really don't think it will "work" for removing mounted police.

The police horses don't wear "diapers" but the carriages do have manure catchers attached to their shafts.

In the 19th century there were so many horses in NYC that they actually produced millions of tons of manure annually.

If this video link has been posted elsewhere already, I apologize.

What about all the squirrels, pigeons, rabbits etc in Central Park? Guess they have to get rid of them, too. All manure-producing. These people are really idiots.

Don't forget the DOGS!

The real manure you have to worry about is coming out the mouths of critters that only resemble the backside of horses.... Perhaps the unemployed RARA's protesting on wall street would like fresh, challenging careers as sampan haulers.

Kind of surpised they don't compost it and use it all for fertilizer in Central Park. Wouldn't that be a green solution? :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

We should harness those people's stupidity. We would solve our energy problems forever.

Default Manure may be the LEAST thing most horse owners have to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by AlterNetReality View Post
    The real manure you have to worry about is coming out the mouths of critters that only resemble the backside of horses.... Perhaps the unemployed RARA's protesting on wall street would like fresh, challenging careers as sampan haulers.
    Actually NOT all of the people protesting in the OWS protest are RARAs or are even concerned about horses at all. Many of them are people who used to be middle class until their jobs disappeared in this bad economy. They are not unemployed by choice.

But to be sure, probably most of the people in this protest have NO experience being around horses at all since only 1% of the US population actually owns any horses. (In 2007, before the economy tanked, 1.8% of US households owned a horse. The percentage is lower now.) These people are the other 99% (in more ways than one

Personally I sympathize greatly with people who are having a hard time because of this economy. EVERYONE, except the very wealthy, is being affected directly or indirectly- just think of people you know who have had to sell or lease out horses because of financial reverses beyond their control.

I am frankly appalled at the lack of sympathy shown for the OWS protesters, the unemployed and financially stressed in general on this forum. I figure many people here are "well-heeled" because most own one or more horses, but really I don't think this board is over-populated by millionaires.

What THAT means is that most people posting here are in the other 99%- regarding money, not horses. So most have been affected by this economy and have made adjustments in order to be able to keep their horses.

But job loss or some medical disaster could easily mean that more people posting here would be less able to keep funding their horse addiction.

On the other hand, I guess manure might become less of a problem for more people if fewer people are able to hang on to their horses. It is certainly not a good thing for the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Kind of surpised they don't compost it and use it all for fertilizer in Central Park. Wouldn't that be a green solution? :=)
    THAT is a really great idea. Horse manure (cured or composted) is very good for most plants and shrubs. Uing manure would really beat buying expensive chemical fertilizer (which is probably what they are doing now.)

Only thing is, at least as far as the stables go, I think they, or at least one, already sells its used bedding and manure to organic mushroom growers.

I used horse manure around what was left of an almost dead 40 year old fig tree three years ago. It is now about 15 feet high and has lots and lots of new limbs and branches.

This year I harvested and sold 20 gallons of figs from it. I am going to have to have it trimmed back next year because it is growing so much.

Nice!

Figs could almost break a chocolate addiction... unless of course they were chocolate covered figs...
    Last edited by Belg; Oct. 17, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

As usual with controversy about our industry, there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

This reporter worked closely with NYCLASS on this story, whose founder, Steve Nislick, created the group as a front in his bid for the properties our stables sit on.

This story came out just 2 days after he unveiled his prototype electric car with which he wants to replace our horses.

Nothing is ever as it seems in NYC....read this:
    http://mgross.com/gripebox/its-parkingtown-jake/
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    Actually NOT all of the people protesting in the OWS protest are RARAs or are even concerned about horses at all. Many of them are people who used to be middle class until their jobs disappeared in this bad economy. They are not unemployed by choice.

But to be sure, probably most of the people in this protest have NO experience being around horses at all since only 1% of the US population actually owns any horses. (In 2007, before the economy tanked, 1.8% of US households owned a horse. The percentage is lower now.) These people are the other 99% (in more ways than one

Personally I sympathize greatly with people who are having a hard time because of this economy. EVERYONE, except the very wealthy, is being affected directly or indirectly- just think of people you know who have had to sell or lease out horses because of financial reverses beyond their control.

I am frankly appalled at the lack of sympathy shown for the OWS protesters, the unemployed and financially stressed in general on this forum. I figure many people here are "well-heeled" because most own one or more horses, but really I don't think this board is over-populated by millionaires.
    Lack of sympathy for a bunch of whiny trust fund kids who are so clueless they don't even know they are being set up and used like minions by the George Soros's of this world?

http://www.eju.org/news/world/anti-s...80%99-protests

Lack of sympathy for their anti-semitic agenda?

The majority seem like a bunch of college age kids who probably haven't worked a hard days work in their self-absorbed, sense of entitlement lives.

Seems funny that these kids were not protesting during the 100 degree summer days of NYC, nor I bet many will be out there come December. How convenient.

Sympathy for defecating on a Police car? Umm, I don't think so.
    Leaving nothing but filth behind in their tracks?
    Check out this link for some eye opening pictures.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OLICE-CAR.html

Have sympathy for a bunch of disgusting slobs? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Nice!

Figs could almost break a chocolate addiction... unless of course they were chocolate covered figs...
    I had never thought of dipping figs in chocolate. I might try that next June.

I really like whole fig preserves. if you add just little lemon juse, it gaves a nice tang to them and helps keep them from turing a dark brown as they are cooked down in the ssyrup you make with sugar and water.

I don't like the preseves where all the figs are cut up or mashed and cooked down.

I really think that animal manure is wasted like so many other more natural fertilizers because farming is now so tied into corporate agribusiness like ConAgra.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    As usual with controversy about our industry, there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

This reporter worked closely with NYCLASS on this story, whose founder, Steve Nislick, created the group as a front in his bid for the properties our stables sit on.

This story came out just 2 days after he unveiled his prototype electric car that he wants to replace out horses.

Nothing is ever as it seems in NYC....read this:
    http://mgross.com/gripebox/its-parkingtown-jake/

Already read this and am aware of the machinations behind the "outrage' over horse manure in NYC. I am also very aware thet NYC is just the beachhead for the anti-carriage horse, and ultimately the anti-horse ownership people, also known to some as the RARAs.

I just found it "interesting" that a major network affiliate would devote so much "air time" to the manure "issue" when there is a major protest against corporate greed and the government bail-out of the wealthy banks going on in the same city at the same time.

No matter what you think of Bloomberg, he basically told the reporter who kept bringing up the manure issue at a press conference that she was an idiot.

Before we go off the tracks again with political or food-related commentary, let's nip those tangents in the bud and keep things on the original topic.

Thanks ~
    Mod 1