The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Article on illegal workers & the horse industry

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...obs_nyers.html

"It's a dirty job - and no one in New York wants to do it.

Or so say the stable owners at Belmont Park, who are battling the feds for the right to import foreign workers to take care of their Thoroughbreds.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officials have said nay to the Long Island race track's request for temporary visas to let in nearly 100 grooms, hotwalkers and exercise riders.........

Famed trainer Claude (Shug) McGaughey said the shortage of temporary stable attendants may force him to lay off permanent employees."

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...obs_nyers.html

"It's a dirty job - and no one in New York wants to do it.

Or so say the stable owners at Belmont Park, who are battling the feds for the right to import foreign workers to take care of their Thoroughbreds.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officials have said nay to the Long Island race track's request for temporary visas to let in nearly 100 grooms, hotwalkers and exercise riders.........

Famed trainer Claude (Shug) McGaughey said the shortage of temporary stable attendants may force him to lay off permanent employees."
    Um, not to point out the obvious, but isn't your title misleading? These workers wouldn't be illegal. Instead, the stable owners are doing the responsible thing by trying to go through the system to get legal visas. And good on them for doing it this way! Especially because I don't doubt that it's darn near impossible to get the help they require.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

They should go down into the OWS mob and start recruiting. That'd scatter 'em in a hurry!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    They should go down into the OWS mob and start recruiting. That'd scatter 'em in a hurry!
    LOL..."But you said you wanted a JOB!" Then again, could any of them wrap a leg?

And I agree about the thread title, they're trying to be responsible and get workers being paid above the table, making the trainers and owners at Belmont well beyond a lot of industries as far as obeying employement law is concerned.

Count me in as confused about what this has to do with illegal immigrants.

I am curious though about why they couldn't hire the grooms as year-round workers and bring them to Florida with them. It seems like the seasonal nature of the work is the problem, but that they'll still need workers in Florida (or at least that's what I got from the article). I'm sure there is a good reason that I'm just not aware of, but I didn't really see an explanation of why that is impossible in the article.

And why does the one trainer have to look at laying off permanent employees? Is it because they don't have the temporary staff to allow them to bring in enough horses to pay the permanent employees' salaries?

Either I'm not as awake as I thought I was or that article could use a bit more explanation. The former is very likely, I will admit.

I suppose it's trying to be legal with more and more states passing laws to enforce immigration laws.

Here in Alabama you can already feel a backlash as many workers are not showing up for the job, and even legal workers moving on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44793726.../#.To2TT7IfhWo

I think such laws are feel-good bills that will really put the hurt on the businesses once the unemployment rate drops again.
    Heck, they had a tomato grower on TV the other day: people show up for work but leave after a half a day because they just can't hack it.

I have seen the natives in jobs like that: come late leave early, make for an extended weekend.

but now, since the barn applied for visas for their workers, I don't see any chance for them to be able to keep the illegals on...they are on the radar now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post

We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!