The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Cinchchix hay net review

Thanks, ChocoMare! You've been reviewing these positively for a while, so I finally gave them a try. Thumbs up!

I usually use Nibblenets and love them, but they don't come in huge sizes. So I ordered two Small Bale-sized CinchChix nets to put in my 14 by 36 run-in shelter for winter. I can put a bale and a half in each one. I clipped the two ends with double end snaps to baling twine tied to my support posts along the back wall. No waste. One for each horse, refill every few days (2 horses in the field and they have grass so 3 bales lasts them a while). They are long enough that both horses can eat out of 1, so if for some reason all 4horses are in the same field, that's OK too, everyone can get hay. Easy, and cheaper than Nibblenets!

Another satisfied customer! Alas, I don't work for them, but when I know a product works, is a good value and lasts, I spread the word
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I just bought one, just to have some options for slowing down hay consumption in the winter. I ordered the "large square bale" size and it is HUGE! I can probably put two of my bales in there.

Since the horses are still on grass part-time, I haven't actually used it yet, but I do look forward to trying it. I will say the quality of the material seems to be very sturdy and easy to work with, and it appears that it will be relatively easy to "load" compared to some small-mesh hay nets that are all squinched down and hard to stretch out until they're ancient and nearly worn out!
    Click here before you buy.

They're very easy to load DW.... I stand a square bale on end, strings still on. Pull the net down and over. Flip, cut strings, pull 'em out and cinch up!

If you want, you can stuff loose flakes down the sides until it's truly stuffed full, then cut the strings on the whole bale and pull 'em out.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Yes, I was on the fence as usually larger is better (I get the largest size Nibblenets and wish they were bigger) but I went ahead with the small square size because I didn't want it to sag too low. I was glad I did, -- not because of sagging, it is fine in that regard -- but the small square is MORE than large enough. Easy to get on my standard East Coast bales. I put it on as ChocoMare described,then I cut the strings on another bale and shoved another half a bale in there too. Easily. Room for more.

I think the key seems to be to hang them horizontally, like long hay tubes, to prevent sagging issues. My preliminary assessment, anyway. I have the snaps secured to the wall with twine so in the very unlikely event a rogue horse should hang a leg or hoof in one, it ought to break the twine rather than cause a disaster. I do the same thing with my NibbleNets as I am paranoid and it works well.

I got the round bale one for Christmas last year. I love it, slows consumption and helps reduce waste.

HOWEVER - I have NOT had good luck with durability. I used it January - March, they have been on grass April - now. I got a round bale Tuesday, so a total of 3 months of use by 1 horse and 2 mini donks.

I have AT LEAST 6 holes in mine. My horse is not hard on things, she eats out of a cheapie small hole net at shows and in the trailer, and has never put a hole in it.

While I LOVE the product, I am not so pleased with the quality.

PC: I'd report it to the folks at CinchChix. That does not sound normal.

Our net had 2 drafts, 2 goats and 4 light horses eating off a round bale 24/7 for 4 months last season. The only holes I have in my net were caused by the farm manager who chose to net a bale before moving it with the tractor... he spiked it and made the holes.

I have two of the round bale nets and also have had to repair several holes in each. It really isn't that difficult to do with a little twine, but would hate to miss a hole and have someone get caught.
    Things Take Time

That's what I have been doing - repair with bailing twine. But it's getting really old.

I have a question...

I think the "Mini Net" would suit my purposes. Does anyone use this style? Is is too saggy if you don't fill it to capacity? I would use them at night when the horses come in and they get two flakes of hay.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have those, and I think even w/two flakes, the horses will be fine. I do fill mine, probably 5 or 6 flakes, but it is always completely empty every morning, so they finish it down to the last scrape of hay

The holes of the regular one, not the slow feed, are pretty small, so it will take them awhile to eat those two flakes.

They hold up well, on their 2nd year and are in perfect condition. My horse can be hard on things, but isnt on those.

I used to go thru several Busy Horse haybags a year. I love them, but my horse used them to windsuck, so he tore them up over time. The Cinchchix are built in a way that he never messes w/them, other than to eat the hay out of them.

Just wanted to update -- my vet was out yesterday to treat an abcess. He drove up, saw my CinchChix net (a small hole, small bale-sized one for the fatty field, which really does slow them down a lot), and the first thing he said after saying hi was, "Where did you get that???" He loved it and the idea that the horses could eat all day, as an ulcer prevention mechanism. He just got back from a conference on ulcers and thought the small bale Cinchchix net was just the thing for an ulcer-prone horse.

yay!

For those who use the square bale ones in the pastures: do you find that the horses end up just standing at the hay net all day, or do they move around and leave it alone for a while?

Also, had any trouble with pawing at it/getting caught in it?

I'd like to get a couple for our pasture herd of 4. They split off well into pairs so 2 could share each net.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is over .

In the beginning, they do just stand there and eat and eat and eat. However, once they get the point, that the hay will last and be there when they return, they'll start to move off and "graze" on the nibs and then come back to the hay.... off and on all day

I bought one because of this thread and I think my horses would starve before they'd use it. I got the small bale one. They just look at it. Any suggestions? My plan was to put it in the box I made as a slow down feeder. Filled with one bale it just fits.

The fatties stood and ate nonstop for a long time. Now they eat for a while, then go meander, then go back and eat some more. I never thought the pony would stop eating as long as there was hay within reach, but eventually all the hay they can eat does get old, especially if they have to work for it.

The field of TBs never stood and ate. Not surprisingly, it is just not their style to park in front of the net and inhale.

When I put out the small hole one, my older fat horse was disgusted at the extra work he was going to be required to do and turned up his nose. Within a day he was eating out of it fine. Until they get used to it, maybe put pre-fluffed hay in it -- that is much easier for them to get than a bale with the strings cut after it is hung.

We use them as well - it's been great for our farm. As an introduction, we pulled hay out of the holes around the bale so they'd get the general idea. Didn't take any time at all before they figured it out. I still get the stink eye every once in a while if we haven't used it for a couple bales and then put it back on.

The fatties stood and ate nonstop for a long time. Now they eat for a while, then go meander, then go back and eat some more. I never thought the pony would stop eating as long as there was hay within reach, but eventually all the hay they can eat does get old, especially if they have to work for it.
    God, I hope so. My Shetland will eat NON-EFFING-STOP with her muzzle on, barely pausing to draw breath. Then when I bring them in to feed hay, she DIVES into the hay pile and stuffs huge wads in her mouth like she's been STARVED for 14 hours. Wait until she comes in from grass, gets her muzzle taken off, and sees the small-hole hay net waiting!
    Click here before you buy.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

How do you use the round bale net? Do the round bales have to be off the ground during installation?

I'm definitely going to get a large one if it can be put on after the bale is placed. And will also get a couple of small ones. I'm very tired of wasting hay.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire