The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default On seeing distances - or not, as the case may be.

I was watching my new addiction on Friday night, Equestriancoach.com, and in one of the videos I was watching Bernie Traurig suggested that kids often have a better eye for seeing distances because they spend time jumping around courses on their own two feet. He says this improves their sense of pace, rhythm, distance, etc.

LIGHTBULB! No wonder my 10 year old kicks my butt every time we lesson together! LOL. She spends hours doing that very thing, "cantering" around the ring at the barn, jumping the courses.

I've been needing to improve my fitness and my eye, I've got a feeling I'm going to be running around the ring after my daughter, huffing and puffing and like a freight train and trying to hold a steady pace and get my 41 yr old tuckus over some low fences.

The thought of this sends me into fits of giggles, and will no doubt render the child hysterical. Reminds me of that French and Saunders " Ponies" video....

I'd better make sure BO has defibrillator and oxygen on hand, and work out how to disable barn's video surveillance system -- we don't need any visual evidence of these shenanigans!

What we do in the name of improving our riding!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Or get a mini?

http://youtu.be/ttT0eV-zf5g

hehe

Hmmm maybe I should start doing that again...she's getting a bit pudgy (as am I) and I've been burying my greenie at the base lately...

At the barn as a kid we jumped courses on foot - so much fun and sooo funny... Maybe I need to do it now to improve my riding however, I would fear I would break "something"..... I have trouble just getting out of bed..
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

Default LOL!!! I want a mini!!!

My daughter's pony is named Cookie and she leads her around over the fences like that. Maybe we should do that together. My big ol' KWPN would think Mom had completed flipped her lid if I tried that with her!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

I spent HOURS jumping courses...I used to get yelled at when I would steal my parents logs for the furnace and make cross-country jumps with them. I lost a toe-nail one time jumping in the ring at the barn, and I rubbed a pole, lol.

You can also do the whole "distances" thing during the day, at any time. Try seeing your distances from a line on the sidewalk, to the first step on a staircase or something. Then try to guess how many "strides" it is from one place to another. Of course, make sure you do it in your head, and not circle back for another go.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I adjust my stride for cracks in the sidewalk, etc. Does that count? :-D
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

I used to set up jump courses in our backyard when I was a kid - and when it rained, I hijacked the piano bench to "practice." Drove my mom nuts. I wonder what my husband would say if I were to take this up again, under the guise of "developing my eye for distance." I can guarantee there'd be a hilarious YouTube video! The younger kids at my barn do this, too - and you guessed it, they trounce me in lessons!