The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Wait, really?

    I seem to be stumbling across all sorts of interesting things this morning!

    Can I ask what this saddle achieves (http://www.beval.com/Products/Butet-...e/4799000.aspx) other than working without stirrups?

    I can't see a rider buying a $3000 saddle just to work without stirrups, but maybe some will start floating around bigger barns?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    18,734

    Default

    Odd.

    I have (or could make) one of these to sell you for 1/10th Bevals' price. (It comes with a bridge.) Just give me an Ebay account, a knife and a week.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    314

    Default I KNOW!!

    Saw it this morning as well. Had to take another sip of my coffee, blink, and read the ad again. Still not sure I buy into the premise, but it did kinda wake me up a bit this morning...
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2011
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    What's the difference between that thing and taking the stirrups off of my current saddle?! Am I missing something?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    420

    Default

    The video shows the rider with stirrups...



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default

    What ever happened to simply taking your feet out of your stirrups and crossing them over the withers??



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2003
    Location
    Wellington, FL
    Posts
    782

    Default

    LOL mvp you read my mind!
    To hammer the nail in more. EVERYONE go dig up your FLAT plain flap saddles, and cut the front part of the flap off.

    I see what the PURPOSE of this saddle is. Very close contact, with no help from blocks etc etc. But, I dont see the need to go out and buy one. You can acheive the same thing with an older, simple saddle.

    And yes, it does look like you can ride in the saddle in question with or without stirrups.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horseshowaddict View Post
    To hammer the nail in more. EVERYONE go dig up your FLAT plain flap saddles, and cut the front part of the flap off.
    I knew I was keeping those old saddles around for a reason. I'm sitting on a goldmine!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,819

    Default

    Beval's has seriously lost the plot now.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    35,656

    Default



    It is quite possible to just take the leathers and irons off whatever you ride in and learn proper position without spending 3k. Also possible to buy this thing and still suck as a rider.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Odd.

    I have (or could make) one of these to sell you for 1/10th Bevals' price. (It comes with a bridge.) Just give me an Ebay account, a knife and a week.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2011
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    What ever happened to simply taking your feet out of your stirrups and crossing them over the withers??
    Looks like someone found a way to "improve" and capitalize on it...
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    Yes, you could *make* your own... but in some barns peeps would be aghasted to be seen riding in an old cut up saddle.

    Kudos to Beval- LOL especially for the $3K price tag, I'm sure they will get a few buyers.

    Now if only I could get those same buyers to float some of their piss away cash to me!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,783

    Default

    There is apparently indeed a sucker born every minute, and the ones into horses have very deep pockets...

    (Money-saving tip: Go on ebay. Spend ca. $200 on Crosby PDN. Remove leathers. Instant close-contact no-stirrups practice saddle!)



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    6,799

    Default

    hahaha I agree! I guess there is a reason why my old "flat saddle" is still sitting in the house. For some reason I can't get rid of it... now its a "practice saddle!"



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,353

    Default

    What??? I don't get it... I ride in my old flat saddle and pinch with my knee.. LOL

    Wheres the video - so want to understand this concept?

    Or maybe the fact when I was a kid we all rode around bareback - developed our seat (didn't even know that's what we were doing)

    Maybe the kids today don't ride bareback
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2006
    Location
    Constant State of Delusion
    Posts
    1,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post


    It is quite possible to just take the leathers and irons off whatever you ride in and learn proper position without spending 3k. Also possible to buy this thing and still suck as a rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    9,372

    Default

    Looks like they couldn't find a buyer for an old beat-up Butet they took in on consignment.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2010
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    7,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horseshowaddict View Post
    LOL mvp you read my mind!
    To hammer the nail in more. EVERYONE go dig up your FLAT plain flap saddles, and cut the front part of the flap off.

    I see what the PURPOSE of this saddle is. Very close contact, with no help from blocks etc etc. But, I dont see the need to go out and buy one. You can acheive the same thing with an older, simple saddle.

    And yes, it does look like you can ride in the saddle in question with or without stirrups.
    I'll sell you my saddle for $500! And even do the cutting for you!

    Sheesh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Looks like they couldn't find a buyer for an old beat-up Butet they took in on consignment.
    I know, right?!

    Is it just me or does (what is left of) the flap look used???



Similar Threads

  1. Cant Wait!!!!
    By JumpingAddict93 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 4, 2012, 09:23 PM
  2. Can't wait for OT day
    By Alagirl in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 1, 2011, 11:24 AM
  3. mri vs wait and see
    By jillya in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan. 10, 2011, 03:25 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: May. 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness