The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brick barn aisle

Dear All,

I recently got a bunch of free brick. I was thinking of using it in the barn aisle.

Has anyone done this and did you like it?

AND how do you do it? I mean set it in concrete? Or what? I mean I know people who have made lovely patios with brick just laying it on sand and sweeping sand in the cracks but I presume you can't do that with a barn aisle.

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,
    Huntin' Fool

Not sure about actual bricks but concrete pavers. We are doing pavers, as they are concrete and water permeable (sp?) so they can be hosed off when needed, and rough surfaced for grip. Maybe think about how they will hold up to the traffic not sure if surface is slippery when wet, do any of your guys have shoes may be more slippery for them.

In order to install them correctly you need to excavate the top 5-9" of dirt depending on you grade, layer stone and crushed stone then a sand base bed, tamp, then lay the bricks in whatever patter you want and fill cracks with polymeric sand, wet down and fill again may need to do this several times so the polymeric sand will compact as it gets wet. Of course this is a simplified version look up how to install on the internet several places have very detailed instructions.

We have a parking pad made of pavers so feel confident if it can stand up to my 3/4 ton Suburban it will hold up to a horse My husband does this for a living so he isn't going to put something down that won't hold up, he is a do it once do it right kind of guy. Please remember there is a difference between bricks (fired clay) and pavers (formed concrete).
    Last edited by SPF10; Oct. 17, 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I boarded at a barn with with a brick paver aisle and didn't like them. THis was a bank barn and pretty damp because half was under ground which I am sure was 99.999% of the problem. The bricks got slimy and slippery in damp weather, super slimy.

My aisle is brick and it's beautiful. I've had no problems with horses slipping, even when it's wet.

But these are brick pavers with a high sand content, which can take the weight and abuse of shod hooves and borium.

I can post a photo if you'd like to see it. We laid them in a running bond pattern I think it's called. The barn foundation is concrete, including the aisle. We laid the pavers on top, in concrete, then swept sand into crevices.

ETA - added photo. This was taken right about the time we finished laying them - the barn itself was not 100% finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close up of brick pavers.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	34095  
    Last edited by JSwan; Oct. 17, 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling and to add photo
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Here's another photo of the aisle and stalls - again the barn is not 100% finished in this photo, which was taken several years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aisle view towards the pasture.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	34096  
    -Rudyard Kipling

Jswan's barn aisle is lovely. Someday I hope to have the same type of brick aisle in my barn.

The barn I grew up at was 75+ years old and had a brick aisle. It was very worn to the point that there were dips and waves all over the place. The horses didn't seem to have a problem with it though and the visible reminder of the history of the place was really neat.

Downtown, where the parade route used to go, has some 1920's old red clay bricks in a herrington pattern.
    They were way too slick for the horses.
    We asked them to change to other streets and they did, horses being an important part of the local parade.

I guess it depends on what kind of brick and how it is wearing if it is safe for horses or too slick.
    If your bricks are the wrong kind, how about using them for human walkways here and there, or a border around the barn with some potted plants, as a visual feature?

That barn of JSwan is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Downtown, where the parade route used to go, has some 1920's old red clay bricks in a herrington pattern.
    They were way too slick for the horses.
    We asked them to change to other streets and they did, horses being an important part of the local parade.

I guess it depends on what kind of brick and how it is wearing if it is safe for horses or too slick.
    If your bricks are the wrong kind, how about using them for human walkways here and there, or a border around the barn with some potted plants, as a visual feature?

That barn of JSwan is awesome.
    I drive a carriage downtown and I will say that the bricked streets are quite slick. The barefoot police horses do totally fine on it, but the carriage horses start to have trouble when the borium on their shoes is worn down when its time for new shoes.

The horses I grew up with were Saddlebreds with pads and shoes. They never seemed to have an issue with the bricks being slippery.

My dad did it with concrete block and I like it a lot -- not slick, very pretty.

Thanks, Bluey. We built it by ourselves - just us, a small tractor, and some rental equipment. It took forever. Mr. JSwan bought steel and made the stall grills - we built everything on site except the rafters for the 2nd story (which is a large woodshop). Those we had delivered pre-made. I painted the grills with a glossy black tractor enamel. The wood was stained with a stain/sealer Minwax type of product.

I think the key with those pavers (at least the real brick pavers that we bought) is the sand content. It makes for a pretty gritty surface - unlike some pavers that are smooth. I have had horses act silly in the aisle - coming in too fast, fussing for some reason - and in the winter from hell (2009) the darn thing had ice and snow all over it - the storms and wind were horrible. The surface does seem to provide enough traction that horses aren't slipping (even without borium) Of course - now that I've written that tomorrow morning a horse will slip....

It is chipping around the edges and there are wear patterns developing - but that's part of its charm. Guess that's subjective as some folks would prefer it remain pristine.

The gritty surface does wear down a broom pretty quickly.

I love brick.
    -Rudyard Kipling