The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Low Starch Feed for Performance Horse(s)

Okay first off, I am going call my vet tomorrow, although in the past she hasn't been of the greatest help nutrition wise.

Horse A:
    Potentially IR. Cresty neck. OTTB. Ulcer prone. Switched from 1 scoop Equine Senior to 1/2 scoop Ultium and 1/2 scoop Alfalfa Pellets 2x a day. Changed a lot of other things over the months, but he has been 100x better tummy wise. I would say he switched over early 2011. The only thing I have noticed so far is that he is "hotter" than I *think* he used to be. This is a problem for the hunters when you want a calm, focused horse. And low starch is good for bellies. I was thinking TC Low Starch? He is a hunter and a TB so he needs to be able to stay fat (which hasn't been an issue after the first 2 winters I had him).

Horse B:
    Probably IR. QH. Eating Equine Senior right now (just a big handful). I feel bad because he really loves to eat. He was a rescue and used to freak out if he wasn't fed. Very food oriented and i just want him to be able to eat something 2x a day. He is 18 and eventing, and not fit looking at all. Thoughts on food for him?? He is on free choice brome right now, but switching to something with less nutrients and just a flake of brome a day.

I was thinking TC L/S for both, but i'm just not sure. They are both still competing.

Not a nutrition expert, but not sure why you are uncertain about the TC L/S because they are competing. If it works for them, go for it.
    I have two easy keepers -- a draft cross and a WB -- who live out 24/7 on grass or hay depending on season.

I feed TC L/S in pretty modest amounts and they do just fine. The WB has competed Preliminary and the draft cross Training (eventing) and 2nd level dressage on TC L/S.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

i am not uncertain, i am just hesitant to change feeds since they both seem pretty healthy right now.

and i wanted other options if anyone knew any. that was the highest quality LS feed that i could personally find, but i have only been doing a few days research.

I love Tribute's products. My endurance Arab is on their Kalm Performer. He loses his marbles and acts like a lunatic if he gets too much alfalfa or sugar. He does really well on the Tribute products though. Before he was in real work, he was on Essential K which is their ration balancer. He did very well on that until he went into real work and needed more calories.

If you live in the SE, you may be able to get Seminole feed. If so, they make a premium product called the Wellness Safe & Lite. It is a low starch pelleted feed with only 10% protein, 3% fat and 26% fiber. If you can't get that, the TC Low Starch or even the TC Lite would be good options for your guys. I used the Safe & Lite on a laminitic TB mare I used to own with excellent results.

If you're worried about them having enough fat to keep weight on, you could use a high fat supplement feed such as Buckeye's Ultimate Finish or Triple Crown's Omega Plus.

TC L/S or TC sr could be good. Although I didn't think TC was available in Starkvile? I am Equine SR is pretty high in NSC versus the LS or TC SR.
    Romeo might do well on a ration balancer better than a handful of whatever grain you use. He might be getting enough calories but not the right vit/mins.
    Johnny could probably be on a ration balancer too, 1 scoop (guessing standard 3 quart scoop) a day is probably below the recommended amount of grain for Ultium. You could keep the alfalfa pellets too with the RB. Most RB aren't too high in sugars.

They are both on ration balancers already. No TC here but I can get some in Memphis if trainer ends up okaying it. Right now he is switching from brome to something less nutritious to see if he will loose some weight that way.

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    If you live in the SE, you may be able to get Seminole feed. If so, they make a premium product called the Wellness Safe & Lite. It is a low starch pelleted feed with only 10% protein, 3% fat and 26% fiber. If you can't get that, the TC Low Starch or even the TC Lite would be good options for your guys. I used the Safe & Lite on a laminitic TB mare I used to own with excellent results.

If you're worried about them having enough fat to keep weight on, you could use a high fat supplement feed such as Buckeye's Ultimate Finish or Triple Crown's Omega Plus.
    We think Seminole is wonderful. They also have a fat supplement called Ultra Bloom. They have a low-starch line called Seminole Wellness. We use Perform Safe, Senior Mix, or their Ration Balancer (Equalizer) depending on the horse's needs.

Buckeye is my second choice feed. Its a great feed, but our horses do better on Seminole.
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

thank you!!! i will look into which brands they carry at our feed store. i know they carry nuterna, purina, and TC.

We have an older horse w cushings on TC low starch--he who hates pelleted feeds-loves loves it and has maintained his weight on it and he was not a easy keeper so I was a little concerned on that score.

I have a VERY ulcer-prone horse (as in, if he is ridden for more than 30 min, he needs ulcergard).

I had him on TC L/S but everyone else was on TC Sr. He would eat the low starch, but soon decided he preferred stealing everyone else's senior. So now he's on the TC Sr. too and doing very well. He's been on the Sr. since spring with no problems. It is still very low starch compared to most other brands. I don't have a single easy keeper though you wouldn't know it from the way they look. Every one of my horses looks fabulous on the TC. (And FWIW, my horses range from 4-17 years old, pony-18h).
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Legends Performance Pellets NSC = 12.9%.

Seminole Perform Safe pellets NSC = 12%.

From the Triple Crown Website: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...orse-nutrition

NSC's are in a chart on the bottom of the page.

So plenty of choices, it's just a matter of price shopping and seeing what's convienent for you to get.

The Legends Performance pellets are a great value.

I feed Purina Well Solve L/S to the Cushing QH gelding and shetland pony mare.

$30 a bag is killing me but so is the pergolide so what the heck right?

Quote Originally Posted by KristiKGC View Post
    I have a VERY ulcer-prone horse (as in, if he is ridden for more than 30 min, he needs ulcergard).

I had him on TC L/S but everyone else was on TC Sr. He would eat the low starch, but soon decided he preferred stealing everyone else's senior. So now he's on the TC Sr. too and doing very well. He's been on the Sr. since spring with no problems. It is still very low starch compared to most other brands. I don't have a single easy keeper though you wouldn't know it from the way they look. Every one of my horses looks fabulous on the TC. (And FWIW, my horses range from 4-17 years old, pony-18h).
    try giving him about 1/4 scoop hay pellets (i like alfalfa bc its a natural buffer) right when you tack up to ride. it will absorb the acid and keep it from splashing. i also feed about 10 tums right before i put the bit in. i highly HIGHLY suggest the pellets before riding, it made all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    try giving him about 1/4 scoop hay pellets (i like alfalfa bc its a natural buffer) right when you tack up to ride. it will absorb the acid and keep it from splashing. i also feed about 10 tums right before i put the bit in. i highly HIGHLY suggest the pellets before riding, it made all the difference in the world.
    Thanks! I'll give that a try!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Sounds like a good time to provide the link for the FREE KER nutrition consult form:

http://www.ker.com/consultation/HorseOwners/ask.html

as well as the KER nutrition library:

www.KER.com/library

I manage my 17'2 TB/warmblood cross with teff grass hay (low sugar) , timothy pellets (2 scoops) and one big scoop of Purina Ultium. This horse had a minor founder when he was 3 - he's 8 now and this has been working for him.

Whenever anything changes for him, he develops digital pulses that "could" turn into another founder episode. So far, we've been able to keep that from happening by continuous checking for pulses and regular work.

This horse has a hard time keeping weight on. The pellets make all the difference in the world for him.

If I could get Seminole I would feed that for sure. I feed Purina Wellsolve L/S instead as that is the lowest sugar feed available to me here. It's expensive, yes, but I don't feed that much to my easy keepers.

As someone mentioned, I feed a handful of alfalfa before I ride to buffer on my sensitive mare. I also feed 1 pd pellets of alfalfa/bermuda (as that's the hay I'm able to get consistently down here) along with additional beet pulp if needed to my hard worker (beet pulp is also in the L/S).

I don't typically like Purina over TC but I like this one particular product. My horses like the taste and they stay cool headed.

REAY6790

Your horses really sound like easy keepers to me. If one is getting just a handful of Eq. Senior and one is getting 1/2 scoop of ultium?? (how big is the scoop?) Is this per feeding or per day?

TC Lite would be the better choice over TC Low starch because TC Lite is lower in fat, lower in starches and sugars and meant to be fed to easy keepers who do not need a lot of feed to maintain body weight. TC Lite is fed 1lb per 500lb of body weight (2 lbs a day for a 1000lb horse) TC Low starch has a feeding minimum of 6lbs per day and is 6% fat vs. the 3% fat of lite. I don't think that is something your performance horses need.

I'd suggest TC lite and if more calories are needed down the road you can consider more hay for your horses, play around with the amount of alf pellets you feed, add in beet pulp, oil, flax seed or the addition of a little TC Senior or TC low starch to provide more calories and fat and avoid high carb feeds/ ingredients. If you have any more questions please visit the TC website or call TC at 800-451-9916

and Yes, there are performance horses on TC lite, we feed some grand prix level dressage horses lite, I know of a few competitive driving horses (a morgan for example) is who is training hard and showing and he only needs hay, TC lite and a few supplements.
    Last edited by tcnhorsefeed; Oct. 21, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: more message
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I've been researching low starch diets for horses with metabolic issues for quite a long while-- trying to balance keeping them slick, with keeping them healthy. I am a HUGE fan of Blue Seal. I do not like Purina- their constantly changing ingredients, their prices, or their marketing tactics.

Blue Seal makes a Senior product that has a wonderful profile- and the horses love it. Their LS formula is also fabulous.

My horses were not fans of Triple Crown.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/