The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Impossible task of finding a lesson horse.

My boss is rapidly turning gray trying to find a new schoolie. We have scoured the internet. People don't return calls.People write ads that don't truely represent the horse.He goes to a barn with 5 prospects ,none of them turn out to be remotely suitable.I know good schoolies are worth their weight in gold,we recently lost 2 ,and finding replacements is very challenging. Anyone with any leads in NOVA please pm me.!! God Bless the schoolies.The 2 we lost served the farm for 17 years ,and were very much loved and well cared for. Surely there is some kindhearted ,gentle soul needing a job.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I am trying to find a school pony...I feel your pain. Thankfully we have 3 very nice school horses.
    Can you go to some 4-H shows, sometimes good ones can be found there.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Have you contacted any camp programs? A lot of them lease and/or sell their horses to school programs come fall/winter. You could also get in touch with local therapeutic riding programs--a lot of them get offered very nice schoolies that aren't quite right for therapeutic riding but would make excellent regular schoolies, and if they had your number to recommend to potential horse donors, the right horse could fall directly into your lap.

OOOOh Jen,That is a good idea...Thanks!

Your vet or farrier may also be a good source; horses needing to come down from their careers.

My current lesson crew have all been found through luck really; horses that people who didn't know what they had and that I took a chance on.

None other than my most recent find had any jump schooling, but I find that fairly easy to train as long as the horse has the basic good attitude.

I feel your pain - while not looking for an ACTUAL schoolie, this is the type of horse I wanted it the spring. Instead I bought an ungelded unbroke 4 year old that is now good enough to be a schoolie. I lucked out like crazy with this guy!

How much does the schoolie have to do? It's not hard to find ones that will do flat work and jump x's but if you're looking for horses who can seriously jump, that's more complicated. A great source of little-kid-safe horses to learn to walk-trot-canter on is polo ponies...stop by your nearest club, introduce yourself and see who has something that needs to retire.

For more advanced horses, are there high school equestrian teams in your area? A lot of those horses will be sold when the kid goes to college, and they're usually really kid broke because some teenager has done absolutely everything on them.

I find that the "backyard trail horse" who is beginner safe can very easily be trained up and turned into an awesome schoolie. Usually doesn't take much time. Sometimes you find a real diamond in the rough who is a nice mover/jumper, too!
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Default lesson horse

You may not find one right in your back yard. Check the saddlebredrescue.com and other sources-----------maybe you don't like ASB though. Just a thought.

All good ideas ,thanks! Schoolie has to be a packer for dead beginners learning to walk ,trot,canter,and jump.Doesn't have to be great jumper,but smooth and easy to learn on and able to get around 2' at a minimum. Big plus if it has lead changes.We need something that can do the job now,doesn't have to be trained for it.back yard horses are fine as long as they fit the bill. ASB's tend to be a bit bigger than we want(looking for 14-15.2 hands) ,and are not noted for their jumping skills. Saw something advertised today that looks perfect,hopefully he will pan out. It is annoying that many people misrepresent their horses which wastes everyones time.

I have one for sale but I am quite a way's away from you and he is over 17HH - but a serious packer none the less!

Yes, do check the camps ASAP!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Local tack shop owners/employees, they know everyone, including pony clubers, low level whatevers, good luck, I have found some on the internet but luck always plays a role

All I can say is 'I feel your pain'. It's the size limitations that get me stuck. Talking a dead beginner onto a 17hh+ horse is pretty difficult. I have some very well trained horses, but they can't reliably carry someone with no balance and body control. I have been told many times that a horse would be beginner safe when anything but is the truth.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

I feel your pain! I am on an endless search for 5-6 new school horse. OMFG do people not make BROKE horses anymore??? I have looked at endless horses and nearly all either CRAZY, unsound, half-ass broke or older than dirt. No wonder the AH is full of horses. No one MAKES horses anymore, they just get them green broke, send the animal to a couple shows and then sell it as a "prospect". Horses bounce from owner to owner and never get "finished". I need sounds, sane horses that will basic walk, trot, canter and somehow it's impossible to find!

You people needing lesson horses are all too far away from the corn states of the midwest! Dont you wish you could teleport horses/people?

Sport bred ASBs actually can jump well..If you could find one suitable I would not discount it based on breed.

Check out the standardbred foundation, they retrain horses they get from the track or breeders and standardbreds are the MOST sensible of horses. They have wonderful work ethics and are very hardy.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    I feel your pain! I am on an endless search for 5-6 new school horse. OMFG do people not make BROKE horses anymore??? I have looked at endless horses and nearly all either CRAZY, unsound, half-ass broke or older than dirt. No wonder the AH is full of horses. No one MAKES horses anymore, they just get them green broke, send the animal to a couple shows and then sell it as a "prospect". Horses bounce from owner to owner and never get "finished". I need sounds, sane horses that will basic walk, trot, canter and somehow it's impossible to find!
    THIS, THIS, THIS!!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Default USPC

The classifieds of the USPC (www.uspc.org) have a lot of candidates....horses outgrown....kids off to college....girls losing interest in favor of boys, et.al.

I have a perfect horse for you......and if my fourteen year old daughter does not get more serious about her C2 rating, Hunter Trials, CTs and Eventing, then he will be for sale soon.....16 years old, 14.3 hands, BN events etc....Sound, Perfect Ground Manners, Easy Keeper....Documented Ownership History......He is not the best behaving horse in the Hunt Field for First or Second Flight......

The problem you might find that is even in the horse market, the good ones are not cheap.

This should not be construed as a sale offering
    Berkley