The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Storing tack in a shed

I have a small storage shed attached to my house. My saddle and bridle are currently sitting in the middle of my living room and I would like to put them in a more permanent place in the shed. Its very solid but not insulated... does tack storage need to be insulated? I feel silly asking this but I don't want my tack damaged by storing it improperly.

when i had my horses at home i kept all my tack in my hay shed, which definitely wasn't insulated. didn't seem to do it any harm.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

I'm in CA so it never gets really cold, but it does get hot. I have to keep my tack in a shed. It hasn't done it any harm.

My tack lives in our uninsulated barn. It gets very hot and very cold (we're in Indiana). I'm not sure its the *best* thing for it, but it hasn't seemed to do it any observable harm.

Well- Just make sure your shed is rodent proof or figure a way to store your tack so rats, etc. can't get to it. It is surprising how much damage a rat can do in just one night.

If you have to store tack in a shed, at least get a sturdy tack trunk. Hangling your saddle on one of these metal saddle racks that mount directly to the wall can work - if your walls are not rough and climbable, and you put the rack high enough that the rats can't jump up to reach the saddle. At the very least get a sturdy canvas saddle bag for your saddle.

Rats LOVE leather! They also like fleece - real and fake- to line their little nests.

And for moisture control, get a big Damp-Rid bucket. Really helps!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanks for the input. I think I will have enough space to get a saddle rack and attach it to the wall. I've lived here for 5 years and go into the shed at least 1x month and have yet to see a rat (yikes!). I will however, keep eyes open for them. I will still use my tack about 1x a week, so I will be able to monitor any rodent happenings.

In Va leather left in an unairconditioned space will mold in the summer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Moisture is the enemy of all tack.

If you live in a damp area then look for something to reduce moisture in the air. A dehumidifier is best. I suspect there may be alternatives but I'm not aware of any.

If you live in a a dry area then ensure some ventillation (stagnant air is also bad for tack as it's good for mold). A vent or two at the top and bottom of a door should do it.

G.

Make sure to keep using it as neglect will kill tack stored outside more than anything else. And set it up to keep the cats from using your saddle as a scratching post too.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible