The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Horse sold without owner's knowledge to slaughter

    A caretaker sold a client's horse without her permission, and the horse was sent to slaughter. So sad.

    http://cjonline.com/news/2011-10-15/...t#.TpsO13Jst8E

    Memories and photographs are all that remain of Rhapsody Rhose.

    Jaime Cowan, who rode the purebred Arabian since childhood, clings to these as if grieving the death of a family member.

    "I can still smell her," she said. "I can still feel her breath in my hair."

    Rhapsody's demise is layered with betrayal by a friend and indifference by others. It also is an economic treatise shaped by America's prevalent view of equines as companion animals, the overseas desire for horse meat and the buyers, packers and shippers seizing opportunity.

    The United States halted butcher of horses for human consumption four years ago, but sustained export of live animals.

    Cowan said Rhapsody was sold by a Jackson County caretaker without her permission. Evidence points to the horse moving through Texas to Mexico. The 138,000 U.S. horses annually trucked to Canada or Mexico for slaughter endure a blur of unfamiliar corrals and trailer rides. Rhapsody's end likely came with a spine-severing knife thrust.

    Critics say the trafficking system is rife with unethical business practices. They question safety of meat from horses given medicine unfit for people.

    Slaughter proponents say low horse prices and rising costs of maintaining stock place owners in a quandary. What to do with culled horses? Powerful interests, including the 300,000-member American Quarter Horse Association, demand restoration of commercial slaughter.

    Cowan never imagined Rhapsody would be a personal symbol of this debate.

    "Rhapsody still had the heart of a 10-year-old," she said. "The most reliable of friends was taken from me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2011
    Location
    Madison, GA
    Posts
    3,336

    Default

    Something similar happened to a lady I know back in the 90s. She free leased a horse out and the people that got her sold her at an auction and she went to slaughter. So sad...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2010
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas aka Houston
    Posts
    377

    Default

    So sad - makes me want to run to the barn and hug my horses!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    15,407

    Default

    That, surely, is no the WHOLE story. It is however an old story that is doing the internet rounds yet again.
    "Topeka Capital Journal
    The unauthorized sale in April of an Arabian mare owned by Jaime Cowan, of Delia"

    If she failed to pay upkeep for said horse, then the BO has the right to sell after 30 days in Kansas, but you never hear the other side of the story.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Oct. 16, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2010
    Posts
    600

    Default

    The comments are almost as disturbing as the content. The only arguments for horse slaughter given are that people are not responsible and too lazy to put down a horse that they can no longer keep. The $100 bucks sure looks better! Hey can be sell the grandparents too?!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    The comments are almost as disturbing as the content. The only arguments for horse slaughter given are that people are not responsible and too lazy to put down a horse that they can no longer keep. The $100 bucks sure looks better! Hey can be sell the grandparents too?!
    How much are you asking for the grandparents?
    Tell me more, what can they do?

    Surely the story is not quite as told, sounds more like some deadbeat owner quit paying and the stableman's lien determined how the BO could dispose of the horse.

    If someone really cares about a horse, they see that the horse is tended to properly or place it where it is if they can't.
    When you abandon the horse, really, to come later and said it was so loved, that sounds a bit fishy.

    Very sad as told, but maybe more drama to the story than how it really happened?



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    That, surely, is no the WHOLE story. It is however an old story that is doing the internet rounds yet again.
    "Topeka Capital Journal
    The unauthorized sale in April of an Arabian mare owned by Jaime Cowan, of Delia"

    If she failed to pay upkeep for said horse, then the BO has the right to sell after 30 days in Kansas, but you never hear the other side of the story.
    Oh, I agree. This can't be the whole story. BUT if it is and there really was no fault on the owner's part then it is quite sad. However, there are always two sides!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    10,654

    Default

    Agreed, this story (or similar) has been making the rounds for years.

    Why do people keep sending this type of stuff around? The video of the dog pulling the other dog off the highway (in Portugal or Mexico or something) was just reposted on a friend's FB page this morning. I remember getting it in email years ago.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

    "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    10,802

    Default

    If somebody sells something they don't own it's theft. If it's valuable enough it's felony theft.

    If a boarder does not pay their bills and the caretaker sells the animal IAW state law it might be a tragedy but it's not a violation of any law.

    Slaughter is the "safety valve" on the industry. Tie it down and watch the trouble that results.

    G.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    If somebody sells something they don't own it's theft. If it's valuable enough it's felony theft.

    If a boarder does not pay their bills and the caretaker sells the animal IAW state law it might be a tragedy but it's not a violation of any law.

    Slaughter is the "safety valve" on the industry. Tie it down and watch the trouble that results.

    G.
    A rational analysis. Thank you.



  11. #11

    Default Just Want To Clarify

    I wish I would have seen this thread long ago, but for some reason, it just showed up. I would like to clarify a few things. For starters, this was not a made up thing. This was very real and it happened to me. I am the owner of Rhapsody Rhose. There are no secrets, just a very guilty, drunk man that does not think about his actions first.
    I rode Rhapsody since age 10. When in my 20's, I did not ride her much, as she was my neighbors horse, but he always called her mine...He had no children, and it was obvious to everyone in town that his passion was to teach others about the Arabian mares he had.
    But in March of 2010, after I had spent several months riding her again, her owner approached my husband and I and asked if we would be interested in having her....but we lived in town and had no place to keep her. I had a bottle calf then, and she was kept by our close family friend. When talking about Rhapsody, he immediately wanted to go check her out. He had a horse, and always wanted a riding friend, but no one really had the time. I believe he was excited to finally have someone to travel with him. But we went to the small town, there was the transfer of the title and the bill of sale was signed, etc. We headed home. From that point on, I NEVER missed a whole day seeing her, with the exception of one week when my husband had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital. Even then, I only missed 3 feedings, and Bob knew about that. There were times that due to a schedule change at work, I would have to put off our visits til primarily evening or morning, but everything still worked out pretty good. I rode her all the time...could out my kids on her and she was amazing!
    Then the friend of ours got mixed up with a woman who was very annoyed with the presence of me and my daughters on the farm riding Rhapsody and doing chores. Very often, she would literally follow me around the farm with her hands on her hips staring at me. Once, she even told me to get my 'ugly kids' and leave. I talked to my husband and we started putting the word out that we needed to find some pasture for her to graze on, and could look for a place to keep her over the winter in the meantime. I had worked a night shift on a Saturday night, and got home Sunday morning around 6:30. My husband was going to take the feed I had bought about a week prior, up to the farm for me, but when he arrived, Rhapsody was gone. He came home and woke me, and that is when I started my battle.
    It has been over a year since Rhapsody died. IT was confirmed by the auction owner and the kill buyer, that she was taken to the border and shipped to slaughter in Mexico. Since then, though Bob has broken up with his girlfriend and openly admits that what he did was wrong, and I did not owe boarding because we were like family. Boarding was never even discussed among us because I helped out on the farm year round...and for 3 years prior to her arrival that March day in 2010. I worked my butt off on that farm and I provided excellent care to my horse. Any person that knows me, knows that I am a good pet owner and I would have done anything to get her back. What happened was so wrong, illegal, and admitted to be by both the Sheriff and the county attorney, but they sent me a letter stating that though laws were broken, they viewed it as a civil matter. No criminal charges were pressed and though multiple lame apologies have been attempted, I have not forgiven Bob, nor will I ever. What he did ruined my life. The only good out of the entire thing, is that I learned valuable lessons about trust and the justice system. I have not pursued a civil suit though it has been told I have a very good case, there are no lawyers in this area that take on cases for Tort of Outrage, or Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety. This story is not at all what some have made it out to be. It is not a matter of a dead beat owner. It is one of heartache and injustice. I thank you for reading this.
    Please watch this for more insight. Thank you.
    Jaime
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtl7vuzRYw



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justice4rhapsody View Post
    What he did ruined my life.


    I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety.
    Please, get some therapeutic help. I know you loved your horse, but, this is going way beyond bounds. Your kids are watching you, learning how you deal with bad things that happen. In all my years of owning horses, I've had a few bad things happen, such as theft, you pick up and move on. Not let it dictate your whole life from then on.

    ETA: Okay, I'm going to be the meanie...you're letting it ruin your life. Sorry, sometimes a smack up side the head shakes you and makes you think things through. I'm a been there, done that gal.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jul. 1, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: /
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    14,503

    Default

    If it eases your mind even a tiny bit, she most likely got killed with a captive bolt gun or gunshot, just like we used to do. The EU SH to which the vast majority of horses in Mex go, are killed by gun/CBG. Only a few thousand a yr are killed by pithing (knife to spine), and that amount is the same as it was when our SH are open. That meat is not exported and is used in the factories to feed workers, often disguised as beef.
    I'd love to see a tatoo/brand that indicates horses are not ever to be slaughtered. That way, if you sold a horse, or had it stolen, the purchasers/theives would know in advance that they will not be able to profit from it's slaughter.
    Last edited by jetsmom; Jul. 1, 2012 at 06:05 PM.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 31, 2001
    Location
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.
    Posts
    15,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Please, get some therapeutic help. I know you loved your horse, but, this is going way beyond bounds. Your kids are watching you, learning how you deal with bad things that happen. In all my years of owning horses, I've had a few bad things happen, such as theft, you pick up and move on. Not let it dictate your whole life from then on.

    ETA: Okay, I'm going to be the meanie...you're letting it ruin your life. Sorry, sometimes a smack up side the head shakes you and makes you think things through. I'm a been there, done that gal.
    Ditto.

    Time to get over it, sweetie. You have much more important things in your life to be concentrating on.......like your children. And your two other horses.

    If it's really that bad, find an attorney who will take your civil suit. You'll have to pay him/her, but if your life is truly so severely affected by the loss of this one horse, you need to set it right - no matter what it costs.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Agreed. As horrible an experience as you had in the loss of this horse, it's ok not to forgive the man who did this to you but you need to take this for what it is. There was nothing different you could have done and therefore you need to value the experience you gained from this. Take the energy that is currently "ruining your life" and focus it on being a better owner for your horses, a better mom to your kids (I'm not saying you're not a good mom, but the energy you're currently using to dwell on your experience could be put to better use and maybe spent on your kids instead) and maybe become an advocate in other ways. Volunteer in horse rescue. Sharing your story can be very cathartic and therapeutic. I'm sure your horse doesn't hold any grudges by the rainbow bridge. She never blamed you and now it's time for you to forgive yourself.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 24, 2005
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    This is terrible.
    I actually bought two at a slaughter auction to prevent the killer buyer from getting them. The owner and horses were from out of state. The seller just said they were hers when they were not and didn't have to fulfill the requirments she would have had she admitted they were out of state horses.
    The owner whom I located did not know they had gone to the slaughter sale. The seller specifically said she wanted them to go to the killer buyer as she was mad at the yearling - nothing wrong with the horse, just a stupid handler.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2001
    Location
    Nashville, TN USA
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    These losses are difficult to deal with and her loss and grief is real. Don't dog her for it. She in turn, needs to think about life after death-----------if she believes in it. Perhaps she should take up kick boxing to release her pent up anger ------------ seriously. I could not watch the video.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Oh my...I only watched a couple minutes. *tears* A trusted FAMILY friend. Terrible betrayal. I'm sorry.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justice4rhapsody View Post
    I wish I would have seen this thread long ago, but for some reason, it just showed up. I would like to clarify a few things. For starters, this was not a made up thing. This was very real and it happened to me. I am the owner of Rhapsody Rhose. There are no secrets, just a very guilty, drunk man that does not think about his actions first.
    I rode Rhapsody since age 10. When in my 20's, I did not ride her much, as she was my neighbors horse, but he always called her mine...He had no children, and it was obvious to everyone in town that his passion was to teach others about the Arabian mares he had.
    But in March of 2010, after I had spent several months riding her again, her owner approached my husband and I and asked if we would be interested in having her....but we lived in town and had no place to keep her. I had a bottle calf then, and she was kept by our close family friend. When talking about Rhapsody, he immediately wanted to go check her out. He had a horse, and always wanted a riding friend, but no one really had the time. I believe he was excited to finally have someone to travel with him. But we went to the small town, there was the transfer of the title and the bill of sale was signed, etc. We headed home. From that point on, I NEVER missed a whole day seeing her, with the exception of one week when my husband had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital. Even then, I only missed 3 feedings, and Bob knew about that. There were times that due to a schedule change at work, I would have to put off our visits til primarily evening or morning, but everything still worked out pretty good. I rode her all the time...could out my kids on her and she was amazing!
    Then the friend of ours got mixed up with a woman who was very annoyed with the presence of me and my daughters on the farm riding Rhapsody and doing chores. Very often, she would literally follow me around the farm with her hands on her hips staring at me. Once, she even told me to get my 'ugly kids' and leave. I talked to my husband and we started putting the word out that we needed to find some pasture for her to graze on, and could look for a place to keep her over the winter in the meantime. I had worked a night shift on a Saturday night, and got home Sunday morning around 6:30. My husband was going to take the feed I had bought about a week prior, up to the farm for me, but when he arrived, Rhapsody was gone. He came home and woke me, and that is when I started my battle.
    It has been over a year since Rhapsody died. IT was confirmed by the auction owner and the kill buyer, that she was taken to the border and shipped to slaughter in Mexico. Since then, though Bob has broken up with his girlfriend and openly admits that what he did was wrong, and I did not owe boarding because we were like family. Boarding was never even discussed among us because I helped out on the farm year round...and for 3 years prior to her arrival that March day in 2010. I worked my butt off on that farm and I provided excellent care to my horse. Any person that knows me, knows that I am a good pet owner and I would have done anything to get her back. What happened was so wrong, illegal, and admitted to be by both the Sheriff and the county attorney, but they sent me a letter stating that though laws were broken, they viewed it as a civil matter. No criminal charges were pressed and though multiple lame apologies have been attempted, I have not forgiven Bob, nor will I ever. What he did ruined my life. The only good out of the entire thing, is that I learned valuable lessons about trust and the justice system. I have not pursued a civil suit though it has been told I have a very good case, there are no lawyers in this area that take on cases for Tort of Outrage, or Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. I now suffer from PTSD, have seperated from my husband, and live a very terrifying life with my 2 children and 2 therapeutic horses, as I will forever fear for their safety. This story is not at all what some have made it out to be. It is not a matter of a dead beat owner. It is one of heartache and injustice. I thank you for reading this.
    Please watch this for more insight. Thank you.
    Jaime
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtl7vuzRYw
    Firstly: "Trust" and $2.25 will get you a ride downtown. You saw this situation going south for what sounds like a longish time--fair warning from the new girlfriend's attitude, etc. and could have gotten the horse out of there, since you say you have others, or had a frank talk with the "caretaker," or even OFFERED TO PAY HIM SOME BOARD. For the life of me I have never understood the naivete' of folks who expect someone else to support their large, expensive "luxury pet" for FREE! That is not real-world. If YOUR name was on the bill of sale, the horse was YOUR responsibility, not his, and he should certainly have given you a fair opportunity to re-negotiate your deal or take the horse elsewhere. If he actually stole it and sold it, that IS legally actionable. But you'll pay a lot more in attorneys' fees than you're likely to recover here.

    Second: The Buddha said death and decay are everywhere, but suffering is a choice we make. The choice you're making is to hold yourself a pity party and play the victim card in public--why? There is nothing to be gained!

    Please do not throw terms like PTSD around loosely--that is a physiological brain dysfunction caused by the kind of trauma seen in natural disasters and war, where a person is completely overwhelmed beyond the capacity of the body's natural coping mechanism. As in, getting a leg blown off while your head is bouncing off a Humvee. Sorry, but losing an old pet under tawdry circumstances just doesn't cut it for that by the accepted definitions.

    This horse is gone. You are continuing to invest vast amounts of mental energy into a downward spiral of negativity. Unless you want to wind up seriously mentally ill, force yourself to close this chapter in your life, file it under "live & learn," and move on with all the positives--your kids, your other animals, your job. Please do it quickly, for all of their sakes since they rely on you.

    Best of luck,



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Umm yeah... What Swamp Yankee said.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb. 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: Nov. 9, 2011, 08:22 AM
  3. Mare bred without owner's knowledge
    By Scruffy in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: Jun. 21, 2010, 09:51 PM
  4. Leased horse: owner's signature on entry form?
    By deltawave in forum Eventing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
  5. Horse owner's flyer asks for help with executions
    By LarkspurCO in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness