The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I bought my first house with land, oh my...

So I close on my first house in 2 weeks. It used to be horse property back in the day with a 10 stall barn but the previous owner went into foreclosure and the town tore it down since there were no permits. So I got a good deal for this 3 bedroom/2 bath house with a huge, nice, flat yard.

Anyway, I'm going to be building a barn and I'm very happy the barn was torn down because now I get to design the layout myself! So I'm only zoned for 3 horses and would like to build a 34' x 36' center isle 4 stall (12 x 12), wash stall, tackroom with a stair case up to a loft. I'm leaning on doing a modular barn because I can get all that completed, delivered and electric installed for $46K from www.horizonstructures.com

Any other places i can get the barn from, maybe even a little cheaper??? I even looked into Barn Pros but they want $35K for a kit while you pay for labor but that can cost well over $10K.

I'm excited!!!!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Don't hurry with the barn, take your time exploring your options locally and national barn builders.

Many I know are happy with their MD barns.
    There are two types, one cheaper, one more expensive.
    Those are a bit more fire proof than an all wood barn and probably a bit longer lasting.

There are also modular kits for barns, Priefert has one, where you can start with two in a center aisle design and keep adding stalls if you want.
    The advantage of those, if and when you want to change things or move, they are portable and can be moved or sold easily.

Once you decide, be aware that it is all about trade-offs, whatever you pick may not be 100% ideal, but will be good enough, be happy with your decision.
    Hindsight is so wise, but should not make you feel you didn't do good enough.
    So many options, see what works for others in your area and take the time to explore them all before committing.

Are you planning to store hay in the loft? In some places it is illegal, in others will raise your insurance if you can get it at all.
    http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/ub034.pdf
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Any room for a possible mortgage helper?

Oh great. Now you can have your own watermelon patch for Kiwayu. How is his ulcer? So you have Kwayu and his mini still?

I once boarded where the BO had a barnmaster 12 stall barn. We were not in that barn but it was nice. I think they make smaller barns also. So check that out.

Yes, I still have Kiwi & Fig (the mini). I bought this house to have my dream come true of having them in my backyard.
    Kristen

Congratulations! I have a barn with similar dimensions and it was built for about 2/3 that cost by a local pole barn builder. Explore your local options! Not all good builders advertise on the internet . . .
    Click here before you buy.

That's a huge amount for a barn that size - definitely look around!

Any reason you're looking at 34x36 instead of 36x36? The extra 2' is pretty significant in usage without being significant in cost (most of the time)

A pole barn of that dimension would be a good bit cheaper

Make sure you ask the planning/zoning people what it's legal to put on the property. Some locations require the barn match the house, or other requirements that you need to know before you build.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Here's a link someone shared with me recently as we are going to be building as well. http://www.fbibuildings.com/equine/
    I would think $46K is A LOT of money for a barn that size. I would certainly look at local builders/handy men etc.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

YAY!!!!!!!

I've drooled over the Horizon barns for years - when & if I ever move.....

FBI built my current barn w/attached indoor and I cannot say enough good things about them.
    From the salesman down to the guys who built it, everyone was professional and easy to work with.
    The whole structure - 36X36 2-stall barn w/attached 60X120 arena - was up in 3 weeks

If you are near NW IN, PM me and come on down and have a look.
    It is not at all fancy, but well-built and has withstood some nasty weather & worked wonderfully for me & my horses.

ETA:
    oops - NY not really in my 'hood : {
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I'll second the suggestions for local pole barn builders - I looked into the Horizon modulars, too, but pole barn from the local guys is MUCH cheaper.

I'm doing a fairly bare bones 36x40 (no loft, but they're putting in the tack room and kickboards, I'm going to build my own (2) stalls) for less than half of your estimate. Doesn't include site prep, concrete, water or electric, but even with those things factored in, it's still not going to be anywhere near $46k. (And if memory serves, Horizon doesn't actually do any of those things - I think they just wire the barn - you'd still have to get a local electrician to "hook it up", right?)

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Make sure you ask the planning/zoning people what it's legal to put on the property. Some locations require the barn match the house, or other requirements that you need to know before you build.
    There are probably limitations like setbacks, also. Since the previous barn was torn down for non-compliance, be ESPECIALLY vigilant. Local zoning officials don't usually KNOW about permit, etc., violations, unless a complaining neighbor complains and then, won't do anything so drastic unless someone (or several someones) FORCES them to. VERRRRRY hostile environment. Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already been to the town and found out all the details. The old barn was torn down for several reasons according to the town (foreclosure, falling down/dangerous, and last owner refused to get a permit). In this town if you refuse to make things legal, the town has the right to tear down your building. Anyway, I've spoken to a lit of people and all say my estimate is correct for that size barn. Even my father, who's a builder, said he couldnt do it for much cheaper if I didn't pay for labor. Things are EXPENSIVE on this island!!! My friend just had her husband install her 4 stall barn for $40K. I'm following the town rules exactly but wanted more companies to possibly purchase a barn from.
    Kristen