The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    Because that motivates me to do better Thanks GM for your honesty
    Why wouldn't it? If you automatically assume you're part of the 60, not the 20, you've already lost.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Why wouldn't it? If you automatically assume you're part of the 60, not the 20, you've already lost.
    Good point!!!

I would also like an update on the rider who fell.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    Oh come on, it's not like he said it to a bunch of short stirrup kids! Most of them are 15-17 with some 12-14 year olds mixed in. I'm sure they have said things to each other much worse than that!!
    Actually, Talent Search goes to age 21. This is not a little kids Hello Kitty bows on my braids class. Buck up people.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Actually, Talent Search goes to age 21. This is not a little kids Hello Kitty bows on my braids class. Buck up people.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Very true! I was meaning it as if he were to say this to the kids at the medal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    I know this is a different EQ final, but I think it still applies:

In the riders meeting at USET finals last week, GM basically told them, only 20 of you deserve to be here (ability/ preparation wise). We're building for those 20. The other 60 (or 210 at Harrisburg) are filler. Sorry if you/ your horse leave here worse than you came, but we build for those 20, who will make it look easy. Good luck, get some sleep.

My point is, at Harrisburg, those top 25 will make a ridiculous course look easy. There will be 25 who have NO business being there (stop out/ fall), and 200 who are just filler (adding, leaving out, rails).
    The problem with this quote is that it is full of assumptions ... many of the riders who go to these finals are well prepared but simply do not have the experience or the horse to be in the top 20 --- but the more they expose themselves to the top twenty the more their riding will approach those at the top. You cannot achieve a level that you never see or compete against - nothing wrong with that. Second, it infers that it is the riders fault if they are not prepared. Sometimes that is true ... but if our local and regional shows insist on "dumbing down courses" and setting jumps lower than required, then the riders who cannot accesss the big circuits because of finances or whatever never have the chance to be prepared --- and that is not their fault. All for honesty and don't mind the comment - the course should separate the best from the rest ---- but the rest should have the opportunity to be prepared and to get the experience to move themselves forward....JMHO

Yeah, well he could have well said it there too. More than half are just filler.They just pay for the class of the 25 or so kids that actually have the ability to get a prize. and it often is the most sophisticated course that most have ever seen.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    The problem with this quote is that it is full of assumptions ... many of the riders who go to these finals are well prepared but simply do not have the experience or the horse to be in the top 20 --- but the more they expose themselves to the top twenty the more their riding will approach those at the top. You cannot achieve a level that you never see or compete against - nothing wrong with that. Second, it infers that it is the riders fault if they are not prepared. Sometimes that is true ... but if our local and regional shows insist on "dumbing down courses" and setting jumps lower than required, then the riders who cannot accesss the big circuits because of finances or whatever never have the chance to be prepared --- and that is not their fault. All for honesty and don't mind the comment - the course should separate the best from the rest ---- but the rest should have the opportunity to be prepared and to get the experience to move themselves forward....JMHO
    If they do not have the experience or th right horse to be there, then they are filler.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    Has anyone heard an update on #237 that took that bad fall last night? Would love to know if she is ok.
    SO SO SO SO scary. If anyone knows anything, let everyone know. I haven't seen that scary of a fall in a while. Hoping she's okay

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    I know this is a different EQ final, but I think it still applies:

In the riders meeting at USET finals last week, GM basically told them, only 20 of you deserve to be here (ability/ preparation wise). We're building for those 20. The other 60 (or 210 at Harrisburg) are filler. Sorry if you/ your horse leave here worse than you came, but we build for those 20, who will make it look easy. Good luck, get some sleep.

A gratuitous and ill-timed statement which admittedly may be of value as an addendum to next years' USET Finals entry form.

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    SO SO SO SO scary. If anyone knows anything, let everyone know. I haven't seen that scary of a fall in a while. Hoping she's okay
    She is doing okay- bruised hip but nothing broken.
    "I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of No Brain at All." - Winnie the Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by kmsf View Post
    She is doing okay- bruised hip but nothing broken.
    Phew. Glad to hear it!

So glad to hear she is ok! Thanks for letting us know
    Teller of Untruths,
    Teller of Untruths,
    Your trousers have combusted!

yeah, me too. That was quite the fall!

Hope she makes it back next year for another go at it