The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dormosedan (sp?) gel for bad hauler

OK. I'm going to ask first thing...right up front: PLEASE don't interject your 'do this with your horse to lessen his trailer fears'

My horse is 14 years old. I've had him since he was 3.5 I've done/tried/worked on every possible scenario out there, and he's a BEAUTIFUL loader. No fuss, no muss, self load, do it by myself every time. He's an only horse, and he starts to piaff and stress and snort and sweat when the doors shut. Its NOT going to change. He's been here there and everywhere, and we do go ANYWAY. Yes, with another horse, its much 'better' but I cannot always do that....yes, I've tried various trailers, too..and the scenario is the same.

ANyway...I give that disclaimer, because I just DONT need the typical "let me suggest this' kinda loading suggestions. (and honestly, nor the hauling suggestions...(earplugs (tried it) radio (tried it) etc, etc....)

but I do want to know: do any of you successfully use dormosedan gel for a nervous hauler? I cannot use ace, as my gelding dropped once from this (given for a fourth of july night with BIG overhead fireworks...at a resort that he was at) and I'll never risk it again since he didn't retract for 4 days.

Currently, I am hauling/attending 'trips' and trail rides and stays of more than a few days just for fun, NOT for showing...so, now he could be hauled with meds....This is my ONE guy, he's not going to change, and I'm NOT going to sell him...can anyone chime in on using this for that purpose and how it works for you or your horses/experiences?

thanks so much!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Not sure exactly what your question is. Yes it will tranquilize him. Will it last long enough to get you where you are going? Obviously that depends upon how far the trip is. Will he be able to balance in the trailer to avoid falling? Probably but maybe not.

Good question.

I will tell you my conversations with my vets regarding this.

The dormo gel takes if I recall correctly at least a half hour, maybe 45 minutes to work.

The other thing you could use too is xyzaline. a very low dose, for example on my 1200 pound horse I use 1.5 cc. On my 2000 pound draft I use 3 cc.

I only used the dormo gel once when we needed to do teeth, and the pony is petrified of needles, etc, and we just wanted to take the edge off.

I have not used either for trailering...but have spoken to my vets and shippers and they both say its fine, as long as they are not too od'd.

Neither lasts that long, its more to take the edge off.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

A very low dose might work, but I wouldn't want to give much. I definitely understand not wanting to go to ace, but maybe try a tube of Perfect Prep or Smart Calm Ultra?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

thanks all.
    this of course, is why I am asking. Trying to find those who have used it, and used it expressly for trailering and a bad hauler to get their feedback. Because of course I don't want a fall in the trailer. But I know 'take the edge of drugs' are used, and wanted feedback from those who have utilized this one for that specific need.

I am especially interested in the gel, as I would not have to give the injections, nor keep the cocktail onhand.

I AM going to try minimal dose per weight, and review this 'at home' first to try to tweak it correctly if I do use it for this, but, again: wanted those who do? / have? used it this way to chime in --- I'd really give just about anything for my horse to settle quiet, and not hurt his back every. single. time from prancing and walking the wall and stressing the whole way. So...I'm looking for shared experiences with this kind of hauler and this possible gel.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I agree...you need to do this ahead of time to see how he responds.

I use the xyzaline for a horse who chokes to help her to relax. I think she'd haul alright if I needed to use it.

The dormagel works similarily, and you put it under the tongue so it absorbs thru the mouth.

I would also practice, putting him on the trailer, closing it in, giving him nice hay and not move. Maybe with the gel, and without.
    I know you have tried everything, but I had a horse who freaked when the doors shut, and we spent weeks, loading, unloading, and progressed to loading, shutting the doors for 1 minute, until we finally got to the point the doors could be shut and we could move. Months it took to de sensitize him.

Maybe using a sedative could help initially in your 'training'.

I would experiment with dosages both while in his stall, and also while closed up in the trailer. In other words, the amount to dose in his stall might not be the same when he is under stress.

I am not a big fan of trailering while sedated, although a light, take the edge off is a whole different sedation than head hanging, feet spread trying to balance.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I saw it used on a mare that refused to load. Five hours of refused to load.

In my opinion it made her extremely unstable and completely out of it. Could have been the dosage. I don't know the amount used.

The mare was drugged and then lifted onto the trailer by the two shippers.

if you haul completely drugged, please take precaution to protect your horses face. and wrap up legs really well, even protecting cornet bands

I had to haul a horse for someone who needed to be almost completely drugged

I went to a fabric store and found this stuff almost like neoprene. they said: people use it for the inside roof of cars. I cut it out in the shape of a horse face. covering the front of the face, around the eye and cheek bones, and over the pole. then cut two ear holes and put velcro fasteners under throat latch and jaw. I double up on the material for the forehead and down the front of the nose..

this thing stays put REALLY well, and is VERY protective. and the horse doesnt even know its there, doesnt bother them a bit

I think I can find some pics...

here ya go, my mare is modeling

it actually worked so well, that I use it on my mare all the time now, just for extra protection, and dont even use the bumper anymore

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...823_201103.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...823_201056.jpg

ETA - FYI - this is the first one I made. if I make another one, I want to cover the cheek bones under the eye better. if you want, I can trace it and send you the pattern
    Last edited by Jumpin_Horses; Oct. 15, 2011 at 03:09 PM.