The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Jockey Club Incentive Program

This was posted on Off Course, and I thought Hunting Creek would have cross posted by now, but I can't wait any longer!

The Jockely Club announced today they are sponsoring an incentive program for Thoroughbreds in disciplines outside of racing. see www.tjctip.com

I emailed an Area V board member to please get the word out to our area events. Hope everyone will pass along the information in their areas
    Last edited by Toadie's mom; Oct. 15, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!! A big hats off, thank you!!!!
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

That's great news!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

FINALLY! The Jockey Club has admitted that TBs are not just race horses. If this pilot program is successful and continued, it could make a HUGE difference.

The program is open to ALL JC registered TBs, not just OTTBs.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

What about TBs that were never registered or raced? I have one that was bred for racing but the Dam's owner didn't pay his stud fee and the filly became the property of the farm. I bet there are quite a few TB owners like myself that would love to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Choice View Post
    What about TBs that were never registered or raced? I have one that was bred for racing but the Dam's owner didn't pay his stud fee and the filly became the property of the farm. I bet there are quite a few TB owners like myself that would love to be included.
    good question.. but how would you prove it's a TB then? I think they'd have to draw the line at horses registered with the association...

Default Great news!

This is really great news. And for those of you that are eventers, Vixen Hill Thoroughbreds is sponsoring a year end Thoroughbred award for USEA Area II starting this year.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Thumbs up

Excellent - thank you to The Jockey Club!
    For a number of years the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) has recognized TBs in other disciplines, and has been very generous in giving out coolers/cash awards etc.

There are a number of TBs out there who are not JC registered, but who are 'proveable' as TBs (ie DNA on file) - I would hope that they could be included in this as well.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Bravo. There was an organization called TASHA (Thoroughbred show horse association) for a lot of years, but it died with the advent of the warmblood, sadly,
    even when they included half thoroughbreds.

People always say their horse is half (name brand Warmblood), but never say their horse is half TB...My Irish boy is actually 3/4 TB, so he should be called my TB cross, not Irish boy.

To my mind, the closer a horse is to a gorgeous TB, the better.

This is great! It's interesting that there are a few options to prove a horse is a TB too - one is papers, but you can also go by a Tattoo/pedigree look-up.
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

I liked that too, van -- I don't have papers for mine, but I can photograph his tattoo. I'm so excited -- I've only had him four weeks but I've fallen hook line and sinker into mad OTTB love, LOL!

And thanks for the heads up, eventer55, we are Area II eventers so it's fun to see that stuff out there!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. It's definitely a step in the right direction for the Jockey Club.

I'm excited about this! I love my TB's and I breed with jumping and dressage in mind, not racing. Something to look forward to and show my stallion in.

For those of you wondering about registration requirements, this is what is on the horse show info page:

The Jockey Club Certificate of Foal Registration or a copy thereof; or
    o The horse’s lip tattoo, the horse’s 5-cross pedigree and the successful tattoo
    lookup result from The Jockey Club’s Tattoo Identification Services, (located at
    registry.jockeyclub.com); or
    o If neither of the above is available, a letter from The Jockey Club verifying the
    horse’s identity.

I think it's amazing! Finally a JC who is a bit forward thinking. Curious though, viney, why do you think prizes at events will make a big difference?

Wow. The deadline for registering is coming up FAST. It looks like they will be awarding prize money, too! So...get the word out. If you know an organizer, let them know about this program so they can apply, in time, and get the awards to give out at recognized events in 2012!
    This is a really neat looking program by the Jockey Club. You have to think that the tremendous success of great Thoroughbreds at things like the WEG, Rolex, and Fair Hill, among many other events, have helped lead to this.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Didn't read all the details so maybe someone can help me here (work interfering of course), but is this somehow different than the old Performance Horse Registry? I'm THRILLED to see it come into play and to have the JC finally get really behind a program like this... as a former PHR area rep, I'm curious how this is different (other than the obvious JC support).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Didn't read all the details so maybe someone can help me here (work interfering of course), but is this somehow different than the old Performance Horse Registry? I'm THRILLED to see it come into play and to have the JC finally get really behind a program like this... as a former PHR area rep, I'm curious how this is different (other than the obvious JC support).
    The PHR still exists. It's been open to all horses for quite awhile. The JC sold the database very soon after it started.
    The PHR issues 'papers' for any breed if the horse can be DNA'd but they likely would not be sufficient for the new JC program.
    PHR sponsors awards in USEF/affil rated divisions.

The new JC program has different award options.

Out of curiosity what was a 'PHR rep'. No such thing exists in H/J world nor was there any mention of a rep in the PHR website even when it was JC sponsored. Is it an Eventing thing?

To be a success this has to be supported by USEF or the affiliates like USHJA or it will go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Choice View Post
    I wish. Mine was not tattooed, although I am not sure if he was racing bred or not (I am guessing not). But here it what it says in the press release:

"Thoroughbreds registered with The Jockey Club will be eligible for participation in all T.I.P. classes and awards."
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Out of curiosity what was a 'PHR rep'.
    Basically, because I was in eventing, I worked just with events in my area, but I coordinated sending out awards and talking to people about PHR as I went to shows. It was strictly a volunteer effort on my part... not even sure if there were other folks doing it like I was, but when it first started I was such a big supporter (having an OTTB) that I wanted to see it grow and this was my way of helping out in my area for eventing.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike