The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Northerners! What is your FAVORITE winter blanket?

Say yah to dah U.P eh?

Its going to be 30 degrees here this weekend. 3-0. yay.

I washed and mended my horses blanket and have it on him now, but need to buy a new one. Apparently, no other tack store got the memo that it gets cold up here fast as most blankets I want to buy are not in stock until the very end of October!

I believe it is best to buy QUALITY otherwise you will end up buying QUANTITY!

What are your favorite blankets for the freezing temps where you live? I need something waterproof and heavy weight. My horse does come inside for those -20 nights, but he still needs something that will keep him cozy on those 0-5 degree days!

I live up the road from you My favorites are the SmartPak plaid thinsulate medium weights, and Weatherbeeta Oricans. I also love the High Spirit brand stable blankets.

Also the heavyweight Saxon with the attached neck (horse.com) is awesome. 1200 denier, and lasts forever. Made by Weatherbeeta.

I've had very good luck with the Wug by Rambo. They stay in place when the horse is outside, and they hold up really well.

My fellow has a wide range of lovely blankets. My favorite are the older, original Rambos, which he has in two weights and an unlined turn out. I also have some Rhinos in rain sheets and a Centaur. He's a clothes horse, although I'd prefer him to be naked he says he just won't grow a good enough coat.
    Last edited by maunder; Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Can't spell

I like Big D's. They form themselves well over my horse, wash like rags, and the lining polishes and settles the coat down well. She is white, so use it more to keep her clean...we don't have the really bad weather here on the PNW. Had them for years.

I have an assortment of blankets and brands.
    My fav for my drafts are the rambo xl...no longer available, and now come in amigo xl...which i find so so.
    Next are weatherbeeta turnouts.

I also use stable blankets under a mid weight in jan, feb...that way I can take the underlayer(stable blanket) off and wash more often.
    I also like the centaur wool cooler/blankets. Nothing beats wool for warmth.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Rambo, it's the only blanket brand that has held up to my geldings and don't rub their shoulders.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Timely thread! I recently moved my two horses up to the UP from Texas...

They were loving it when it was in the 70s. Now... not so much. Thank goodness for Schneider's blanket sale...

Rambo!

Rambo Wugs! Mine are all roomy enough to put a medium Rambo underneath when it gets bitter...I know I don't live in Wicsonsin but my horses are whimps! While I have no personal experience with Dover Northwinds I have heard good things about them. But in my mind nothing beats Rambo.

Adams has great prices on blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofs2118 View Post
    Say yah to dah U.P eh?

Its going to be 30 degrees here this weekend. 3-0. yay.

I washed and mended my horses blanket and have it on him now, but need to buy a new one. Apparently, no other tack store got the memo that it gets cold up here fast as most blankets I want to buy are not in stock until the very end of October!

I believe it is best to buy QUALITY otherwise you will end up buying QUANTITY!

What are your favorite blankets for the freezing temps where you live? I need something waterproof and heavy weight. My horse does come inside for those -20 nights, but he still needs something that will keep him cozy on those 0-5 degree days!

try canladian shops we have winter blankies all year
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!