The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Devoucoux ?

I know it's a 17" Socoa with a #2 flap and 'arcade normal' but there are a bunch of other things stamped on the saddle that mean nothing to me. Do they mean anything to you?

PX6
    PX415
    PX310
    PXLUZ (2?)
    Last edited by BeastieSlave; Oct. 14, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Y'all ain't right!

I am pretty sure that is a code for the foam panel placement.

run away as fast as you can. I have been in Devoucoux hell for over a year.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    run away as fast as you can. I have been in Devoucoux hell for over a year.
    Well, that doesn't sound like fun. Care to elaborate or direct me to a thread?
    Y'all ain't right!

I just typed out my tale of woe and it disappeared. I will give the rep one last call and then retype.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Liza is right about the other codes being references to the panels.

I second her caution to run... run as far away as possible. And keep your hands on your wallet as you run!!!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

....do yourself a favor and contact CWD instead.

Wow, the people that I know in real life all love their Devoucoux saddles.

I spoke with Devoucoux about this saddle, so I know what the 'party line' is about its particular configuration. I was just hoping that there was someone out there with nothing to gain/lose who could translate.
    Y'all ain't right!

You're probably better off emailing a devoucoux rep, since I think those numbers/letters describe the panel configuration.

On a side note, a lady I used to ride with was a devoucoux rep and was super easy to work with. When I had a different rep out to fit me, she was very helpful and professional. Nearly everyone in my barn has a devoucoux and I haven't ridden in one I didn't like. I prefer CWD but have nothing against devoucoux.

eta: didn't see that you spoke to devoucoux...they didn't tell you what kind of horse's back it works best for?

OP: I have a Devoucoux (Oldara), right here in the house for oiling, so I flipped it over. Mine is a medium everything on the "horse fit" side, and an 18'' 2aa on the "people fit" side. Other than the top set of numbers being PX5 as opposed to PX6, my numbers are all the same as yours. I love mine, it's fit all but one horse very well, and that one horse is my step-mare, who is a Sherman-freakin'-tank, so it would roll on her a little bit. I'd say I've had it on...six or seven different horses, from ponies to Halflingers to QHs to a WBx.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

PS: yes there are horror stories, and yes even my rep wasn't perfect, but I got my saddle and it was correct to what I ordered. And the main office, esp Joe, was wonderful!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Devoucoux said the configuration is considered a 'pro' setup (as in for riders who use their saddle on a lot of different horses).
    Y'all ain't right!

Devoucoux likes to play its codes pretty close to the chest. I've not yet gotten them to translate even one of these codes for me. CWD and Butet, by contrast, will gladly talk your ear off about their various panel codes and what they mean.

If I wanted to hedge bets about someone non-affiliated with Devoucoux who *might* have elicited what those codes mean, my money is on Cori McGraw of High End Used Saddles or Patricia whats-her-face at Fine Used Saddles. Both have seen and sold a jillion Devoucouxs.

I have a devoucoux and I like it.

4,5,6 different areas on the tree. PX3 is closest to the withers, PX4 is in the middle, and PX5 is under the cantle.

I think.