The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Describe the horse you are daydreaming about now...

If you had no constraints, time, money etc. What is the horse that would magically appear?

I think I want a training level packer with impeccable ground manners and and a sweet personality that would be mellow enough for DD to learn up down on in a few years. I'm thinking dark bay with lots of chrome! 15.3ish.

Default Don't wake me, I'm smiling

I was actually day dreaming about my own horse. In that dream we were running our first BN course at AECs having taken first in dressage and having a double clear in stadium. We effortlessly complete the course hitting optimum time on the nose. Becky Holder rides up on Comet, noting how much my guy looks like him, and presents us with the championship ribbons and an offer to ride Comet. I turn her down for I'm already sitting on the best horse around.

Now if you mean, describe the perfect horse...I already got him, and he took over from the first perfect horse I had. Now that is a blessing.

I'd take my draft cross in a lighter, faster model. Think sporty SUV transformed into a Corvette. Red with plenty of chrome. Preferably pre-installed with a counter canter and a clean lead change. Scotch-guard the white bits

http://www.whitehedgefarm.com/SaleHorses/covergirl.html
    Whitehedge's Covergirl for when DD gets old enough to train her own and as a joint project for her and I.

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...play&thread=99
    Unbridled Laugh for sheer eye candy and if the temperament is as good as I think it is she'd be perfect for DH.

http://www.welshponies.com/mystical.htm
    Skellorn Mystical would be perfect for me, wonderful size, fantastic temperament, and when we weren't conquering the trails we'd be found driving down the lane.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Thumbs up Merry Meeting!

WE, Merry and I, walk into the jumper ring, pick up a canter and she gallops around effortlessly jumping whatever I point her at.Her elegance and effortless way of going have caught everyones' eye and they are convinced that they the BNTs can go far with her; I thank them but, after having had her on the market for so many years, she is now NOT for sale, but, definitely a keeper' I will figure out later how to pay the bills for Merry Meeting was the horse of my dreams, how fortunate we were !
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I would be happy to just stop at the "no time constraints" part and go on with the ones I currently have. And no money constraints, either, that would be nice . . . I'd take the critters I have now and have a great time with them!
    Click here before you buy.

Agree with delta -- just let me not have to go to work! My daydream is standing in the pasture waiting for me to appear with dinner. We just need to fix his foot angles and he is my magical fantasy unicorn!

My daydream? The little black horse chilling in hi stall 20 feet away from me, though preferably not on stall rest from self induced injuries! He's my perfect horse. Big heart, big personality, big brains, good mover, stupidly athletic jumper, and, when he's not self distructing, very sound (touch wood).

Actually, my first dream horse when I was 4 (and on for quite a while) was a black TB. Guess what I got?
    Last edited by yellowbritches; Oct. 14, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling horribleness.

It's always about my horse.

If I could have another, it would be him as a baby, unstarted under saddle. He would never have the racing muscles and development, but be trained as a sporthorse from the start. I would have someone far better than me start him over fences/x-country, but would do the dressage myself. He's regularly schooled prelim in the past and schooled up to advanced jumps, but never took to it with the confidence I think he would have if raised to believe in himself and take control. He didn't really learn to start using his hind end well moving, to both push and carry, until after I got him at 8 - and at 9 is still learning a lot. So a young-him would develop those muscles needed when babies usually do, instead of having to undo years of muscle memory.
    I'd likely actually end up giving him up to an upper level event rider... but wouldn't mind so much if I could hang on to him for my upper level dressage horse instead.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

This is fun. My dream horse would be a cross between my older (semi-retired) mare and my young mare. I want the trot of my older mare with the jump of my young mare. The walk and canter of my young mare, and the height of my older mare. Both horses are good eggs--so I'll take the brave, non-nonsense attitude of both! However, my older mare is much better about dealing with other horses in tight warm up rings--so I'll take her when it comes to show ring warm ups!!

Oh, and I want my older mares mane (short, thin and manageable!) on my young horses neck!

My dream horse would be a mare with my current gelding's movement, athleticism, and will to please and my current mare's good brain, amazing feet, size, and soundness. And she would stay dark dappled grey forever, and never ever lighten and DEFINITELY never get fleabitten

Quote Originally Posted by KMErickson View Post
    My dream horse would be a mare with my current gelding's movement, athleticism, and will to please and my current mare's good brain, amazing feet, size, and soundness. And she would stay dark dappled grey forever, and never ever lighten and DEFINITELY never get fleabitten
    LOL! My lovely "black" colt is now as flea-biten grey as they come.... oh well...

My fellow would be my current horse, but he would be sound and would wake up everyday thrilled to do dressage!
    Sir Chancelot- 8 yr TB/ App

Thumbs up the Burghley winner

If I was healthy and able bodied again and fit! I would love to ride the Burghley winner; he moves up to the jumps, powers over them, becoming catty as needed.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

16h, bay geldingwith no chrome, classic TB about 12-15 y.o with a good sense of humor and a high tolerance level, who has been there and done that and stayed manageably sound. Would foxhunt and do weenie eventing. It would be my last horse.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

My stallion in a couple years when he makes it to the upper levels! He should be 16.1h by then (1/2" shy now) which is not too big, solid dark bay so easy to keep clean, places at or near the top in dressage and jumps clean. And pretty fast without giving me a lot of guff about the application of the brakes. Much fun if he stays with that form!

Jennifer

I want one as light on his feet, intelligent, and kind as the one I have now, but with more power and smoother gaits... My gelding is such a great horse with a lot of heart but he's little and narrow and bouncy too. He loves to jump but I'm pretty sure his size is going to greatly limit how high he can go because I'm pretty sure he won't be able to handle more than 3ft.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

A horse. Any horse, that is sound and in my imaginary backyard, that I can watch out my window and then walk 50 ft, fetch, tack up and ride.

Why does that seem so unobtainable?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

My own horse is my dream horse; I "fantasize" about him almost all the time. He's an OTTB; I got him when he was 5, he had basically been forgotten in a pasture between his track time and the time I got him, so all of his "re-education" is my doing.

I don't mention that point because I'm bragging-- more because I am continually completely flabbergasted that he's as awesome as he is DESPITE my virtual ineptitude, lol... I'm a weenie O/F and I barely have the courage to do much over 2', yet I can count on one hand the number of times he has stopped at a fence. No matter what I point him at, he goes. Just today, I finally got the courage up to try a rolltop at our new barn-- it's 2'2" (I measured it, haha), I can guarantee HE'S never jumped one before, and I haven't gone over a rolltop in probably 20 years; it took half an hour of talking myself into it and I literally felt nauseous when we turned the corner for it. But Horse popped over it like he always does, no hesitation, no rushing, just jumped it like it was any other crossrail.

A couple of years ago, I decided to fulfill my lifelong dream of eventing with Horse; we entered a starter trial at Fair Hill. The weather was crappy, the footing was slippery, there were a couple of horse and rider falls in my division before we went out on the XC course; hearing that over the loudspeaker didn't make me feel ANY better about going out there, coupled with the idea that I really didn't know WHAT horse would do over jumps the likes of which he'd never seen before. But that darned horse carried my terrified butt over that whole course, locked on to every single jump like a pro, and when we crossed the finish line (double clear over stadium and XC), I bawled like a baby.

Oh, and he trail-rides on the buckle (usually ), loads, clips, loves his ears played with, and is a super-quick learner, especially if there's lots of cookies involved.

You could offer to trade me a grand Prix schoolmaster for him, and I'd turn you down. So yeah, I daydream about my OWN horse on a regular basis.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

16.2, 4 socks and a blaze.
    Black or bay.
    Uphill build, nice long neck, strong loin, big feet, textbook angles.
    Big, round movement. Look at me attitude.
    Sire was a TB (eventer) and dam a WB from jumper lines.
    Personality noble, kind, athletic, brave.
    Work ethic 100%. Easy keeper. Sound as can be.
    2-6 years old. Could go Prelim one day and it wouldn't be a struggle at all!

This horse does not exist! (or is not for sale AFAIK)
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Mine

I really love the horses, but particularly my boy, sitting in my pasture Now, I dream that someday I can give him the ride he deserves. Quite silly that sentiment, but when I see a BNR hop on & play -- it makes me grin ear to ear that I have such a cool horse. Yes, I dream of galloping him field to field over any fence, out of perfect stride...