The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Narrow twist saddles

I am saddle shopping. And having no fun at it :-(
    I am looking for saddles that have a narrow twist. Among other things. But of all the things listed in saddle descriptions, this is seldom one of them.

Any ideas on this part of my saddle quest?
    Thanks

LOVE LOVE the Trilogy Verago. Best narrow twist saddle I have ever ridden in. Wish they fit my pony

My Passier Grand Gilbert has a nicely narrow twist, and it's my favorite saddle I've ever had. Have you tried one of those?

Devoucoux --all are monoflap too.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Devoucoux --all are monoflap too.
    I don't remember Devoucoux having narrow twist...

Delgrange saddles have the narrowest twist ever.

If the twist is too wide for me, I have really bad hip pain....

Right now I have a Custom Saddlery Revolution, an old Custom Saddlery Royal Star, and a Hennig (I forget the model, maybe Classic?). They all seem to have a narrow enough twist.

Unhappy Tad coffin

I LOOOVED my Tad Coffin Dressage saddle by Crosby (lent it to some one while I was horseless, and they "did me a favor" and sold it! )

I know they do not make the Croby ones any more, but I think Tad Coffin still makes a dressage saddle (much more $$ then the Crosby)

Very narrow twist, shallow seat is much like a close contact jumping saddle. Pencil knee rolls and padded flap.

This saddle won't hold you in, or block you in any way, but I found it very easy to ride in.

But, I am an eventer, and have never liked big honkin blocks and super deep seats.

Photos!

Crosby

Tad Coffin Performance

Video of a Crosby!

Devoucoux has a narrow twist. I have a Voltaire which has a narrow twist too and is quite lovely!

Chiming in with a County suggestion. I have the Perfection, but have ridden in both the Competitor and the Connection. All have a narrow twist.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Albion SLK, most other saddles KILL my low back, just traded a Schleese JES for an Albion SLK Brentina Ultima and absolutely adore it! Rode in it for 4 hours on a trail ride the other day, no pain at all, which is very unusual for me, usually I would be cripped..! I love it, especially since I've owned scores of dressage saddles, finally found something that is perfect.
    Last edited by artisticgold; Oct. 14, 2011 at 09:34 PM.

My Stubbens have a pretty narrow twist.

Thanks!!
    Appsolute: I event too. FWIW.

I have sat in one Passier, years ago. And hated it. But can't remember what it was. So maybe I shouldn't be totally against them?

Frank Baines. I have a Reflex Dressage and just a few days ago rode in a Deluxe. Karl Niedersuss Symphony. Also, Stubben Maestoso (didn't actually ride in it - it didn't fit my horse, but it felt good on the saddle stand in the shop).

Quote Originally Posted by partita View Post
    Frank Baines. I have a Reflex Dressage and just a few days ago rode in a Deluxe. Karl Niedersuss Symphony. Also, Stubben Maestoso (didn't actually ride in it - it didn't fit my horse, but it felt good on the saddle stand in the shop).
    I second the Albion SLK. Wonderful saddle with a narrow twist. Not all Albion's have the narrow twist. I have both and much prefer the SLK. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the horse I am riding now. So it is sitting all forlorn in my house. I can't bring myself to sell it, as someday I may have a horse it will fit. Wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    I second the Albion SLK. Wonderful saddle with a narrow twist. Not all Albion's have the narrow twist. I have both and much prefer the SLK. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the horse I am riding now. So it is sitting all forlorn in my house. I can't bring myself to sell it, as someday I may have a horse it will fit. Wishful thinking.
    I too love the Albion SLK. You have to order this model with a narrow twist though. It's wonderful. I have the SLK with plain leather and a high head. I also had an Albion Platinum Ultima and liked that one too but felt that my leg was pushed into position in the Platinum, where the SLK lets my leg naturally fall in the correct position.

I did sit in the Trilogy saddles at DAD and really liked the Debbie McDonald but sitting in them and riding in them are 2 different things. I sat in their narrow twist Verago model and it felt too wide to me but the Debbie McDonals was great. Would love a test ride in one.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Quote Originally Posted by partita View Post
    Agree with all these, though my favorite of them all is the Symphonie. Unfortunately, they don't fit my horse.

I tend to prefer somewhat minimalist saddles and get annoyed at trainers/shop owners etc. who think I should get bigger rolls,a deeper seat, etc. just because I'm a slightly fat middle aged re-rider!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Love my Debbie McDonald, although it is considered a mod twist by the company. I get hip pain unless I ride a narrow twist, but I never get pain in my Debbie McDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    I am saddle shopping. And having no fun at it :-(
    I am looking for saddles that have a narrow twist. Among other things. But of all the things listed in saddle descriptions, this is seldom one of them.

Any ideas on this part of my saddle quest?
    Thanks
    I tried 15 or so saddles and the most narrow twist I sat in was a Vega.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I don't remember Devoucoux having narrow twist...
    Yep--narrow twist. I can't ride in anything that doesn't have a narrow twist as anything else causes considerable pain. But the monoflap also gives much less bulk under the thigh/leg--and that helps too.

Kieffer, some of the Jeffries (LOVE mine).