The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flashback, identity crisis, hunter or DQ?

So today I had a flashback and I can laugh at myself and say, "yes, you are a DQ" LOL!

I jumped a crossrail - gasp - and it was fun (insert hysterical giggle here...) I was a big chicken and I felt very slippery in my jeans and chaps, but bravely holding on to the mane, my trusty steed walked right over it.

A bit of background, this is a project horse that I have spent the summer with, explaining that going forward is a good thing and going forward into the contact is even better. He hasn't bought it 100%, but he has improved.

Before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926C0HQhS0o
    After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7m...eature=related

So I thought it would be good to add some variety into his life, we do lots of hacking, but at least if I knew he would jump it could be an option, so I pulled out my very old, stiff, hunter stuff and tried to ride like a hunter (no offence to people who actually can ride like a real hunter rider) I used to ride hunters, never very well, when I was a junior and trust me, that was a long time ago! So all those habits I've tried so hard to overcome, now I wanted them back, just for today. I felt like I must look exactly like a jockey, but when I looked in the mirror, I just looked like a normal person doing posting trot. Hummm. I cantered and felt like I was going to get an ear up my nose and felt just as stiff as my chaps which by the way were starting to dig a hole in my left leg. Thankfully the horse didn't seem to mind.

I trotted bravely over the poles (you didn't think I was going to go straight to a cross rail did you?) and it was good. So I set up the cross rail and felt a little fear in my tummy. Not sure exactly when I turned into such a big chicken, but nonetheless, being a chicken, I let him walk up to it to have a look and him not being a chicken, he walked right over it. Yes, I realize I am a loser So with this big success making me braver, we trotted up to it (me with a big handful of mane) and he trotted over like it wasn't even there. Such a good boy! We graduated to me not holding the mane and feeling quite brave, although still a little slippery without my fullseats. It was fun! I feel a little pull from the hunter side But I think I'll stick to the full seats for now!

It was a fun ride, so I thought I'd share!

Cute story

So, on your second video, love the dog in the arena running around with you. Just curious though, was this video for something special or do you always braid for schooling rides? lol

Wow, he looks great!

Like a different horse!

Big change - congrats!

Perhaps I should buy a Rottie to encourage my somewhat lazy girl to be a bit quicker.....................

BIG change! Good job! What a lovely forward trot in the second vid.

(hmmmm, maybe I should teach my dog to chase me around the arena....)
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Oh yes, the dog is a BIG help It's the only time she gets off the couch, lol! Seriously, she loves it we we ride outside, inside she doesn't care at all. Since this was the first time in the new ring, she was on the job! A few years ago a tb trainer boarded a couple horses with me and he used to train galloping around the hayfield and she was his pace dog - she loved it. It was the only year he was really successful with the turf horse and he always joked that it was her training the brought them good luck and he needed to take her to Woodbine with him.

It was picture day, so we got all spiffed up. I was lazy and left them in, so the next day we when hacking and we were seriously overdressed.

lovely horse and a nice change!! you should be very proud!

Great improvement! Nice to have captured it on video. Motivates me to do the same.

Ditto all of the above!

My favorite part of the second video is the very end. Love the "voiceover" by the dog.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Thanks Guys! This is the first time I've really captured the before and after and it is cool. I have still pics of the tb, but it's not the same. Next one, stills and video, lol!

I will pass on your admiration to the dog, she will appreciate it.

Oh how wonderful. Your before and after give me so much hope. Parker is so much freer and forward in the after video.

You inspire me.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Dog is cute. you have a a Pas de Deux!
    Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.
    You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed
    Le Petit Prince

WOW for the before and after. BIG change! You have done great with him.

I am more of a Hunter/EQ girl and am contemplating dabbling in Eventing but we have a lovely Dressage rider at our barn and she popped her gelding over a cross rail and he had a ball.