The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hedgelaying

May be of interest; http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default I need hedges. In Kentucky.

I'd like to have some on my property line, but am unsure what to plant. I want it thick, high, fast growing and non toxic to horses.

Any suggestions??

I had privet with no ill effects to horses. They are suitable for laying. I have heard stories that it is toxic but have failed to find any evidence of that, or the toxic substance responsible. It grows like weeds around here.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I love privet. Nice blossoms in the spring and abundant blue berries in the fall. They lose some leaves over winter, but not all. It grows very fast.

Default so do I just ask for privet at the nursery?

and instructions? I want a barrier hedge.

Years ago, the wild privet hedge that existed when we moved here had declined. It was thin on the bottom, top heavy and a lot of the hedge was thick trunks with lots of air seen through it.

Then the neighbour's cows wandered through it, so that was the trigger. I'm British from a long time ago, so decided to layer the hedge. The stumps got sawn out, the younger, slimmer stems cut and layered horizontally against the ground, weaving in and out and slanting sideways, as per picture.

Very soon these young stems had rooted in many spots and the hedge thickened up wonderfully and has been clipped into a very nice, thick hedge.

P>S> - not "cut" as in cut through, cut just enough to bend them over where they could send out roots into the ground.