The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My sister bought Voltaren online from Canada for her 23 yo horse, no fuss, no muss. It also seemed to work just fine for him. Without it, he switches in the back at the canter. With it, no problems with the canter. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    There was a research study published in the Journal of Equine Veterinary Science a couple months ago testing Voltaren and other human formulations of Diclofenac Diethylamine on horse skin. Basically, it doesn't work.

http://www.j-evs.com/article/S0737-0...103-1/abstract

I wouldn't waste the money on it, get Surpass that is tested and proven for horses.
    A classic case of the abstract not telling the whole story. I read the whole article and it didn't even come close to saying that "Voltaren doesn't work on horses." The study's point was simply that five commercially available formulations of diclofenac diethylamine cream for humans (including Voltaren, Anaflex, Atomo, Oxagel, and Algicler) penetrated horse skin at different rates--and none of them penetrate horse skin nearly as well as they penetrate human skin or rat skin. None of the five formulations was very efficacious against swelling during the test period--the best-performing cream caused less than 30% swelling reduction during the test period.

But the study isn't all bad news because the test period was only 8 hours long and it involved a 52 mg dose on cadaver skin. By contrast, the clinical test that proved Surpass' efficacy used an average of 73 mg applied twice daily for five days on living horses (yep, I read that study too). And some of those Surpass-trial horses were getting up to 111 mg in each dose, which is more than double the amount of Voltaren being used in the study cited above. One wonders what would happen in a study where Voltaren was applied at higher doses at least twice a day over multiple days--it might push in vivo concentration of Voltaren up enough for it to make a difference. Which would explain why so many horse owners are seeing results with Voltaren.

So RacetrackReject, if I were you, here's what I'd take from the study done on Voltaren and the other human formulations: Voltaren doesn't penetrate horse skin as well as it penetrates human or rat skin, but it does penetrate horse skin to some degree. Based on how the Surpass multi-day trial went down, I suspect that Voltaren would give better results if applied multiple times and in doses bigger than 52 mg. If my horse had a short-term pain situation and I needed the relief fast, I'd probably suck it up and stick with Surpass. If I were dealing with chronic low-grade pain over many days or months, the cited study wouldn't stop me from trying Voltaren.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Oct. 15, 2011 at 06:07 AM.

What those of use who have used it for YEARS and used Surpass have observed is that the carrier of the Voltaren is more watersoluble--a gel--and the carrier of Surpass is more of a grease. The Surpass is designed to stay on longer and to pentrate some amount of fur. What we do is clip the area to be treated with a surgical blade (#40), and use the voltaren on bare skin and the results I got (with my horse) were pretty much the same. I used it on an elderly horse that couldn't tolerate bute (ulcers) and had a chronic injury (carpitis). He loved the stuff, the same as he loved the surpass and would be happy when he saw me coming with a tube of it in my hand.

My current horse had a reaction to the voltaren (swelling), so I cannot use it on her. I have not tried surpass on her. I use equioxx for her.

Now I have a friend with a chronic pain condition and she has tried both surpass (under the idea that it would stay on longer due to the greasy nature of it) and the voltaren. She says the voltaren works more quickly and provides greater relief. I personally have used the voltaren (but not surpass) and do find it gives great relief when you apply it several times a day as the insert directs.

FWIW, and I agree that the study is misleading as well.

If you get it and decide that the voltaren doesn't work for your horse, believe me you will one day be happy you have it in your own medicine cabinet!!

In Dubai they sold it in travel sizes too. One rides in my purse, I have a big tube at the office and my stash at home, plus a few tubes at the barn. LOVE it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

No prescription needed if you get it from a Canadian pharmacy.

If anybody needs, I can pick some up. I'll be crossing into Washington State sometime in the next couple of weeks and can mail them to people from that side of the border to miss the customs, etc. Post or PM me with addresses and amounts needed and I can do the rest.
    Which reminds me, I need to get some more for myself- I used the last of mine up on my filly's splint! Love the stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    believe me you will one day be happy you have it in your own medicine cabinet!!
    Amen. I used it on my old knee before I got a new one. stuff is awesome. Pain and swelling is just gone quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I have a Voltaren gel script for myself and I use it on horses in lieu of Surprass. I just get it at the local pharmacy.
    My doctor thinks I have a chronically sprained finger.
    It was sprained....two years ago.
    but that darn repetitive motion!!

3 100ml tubes for 50 bucks. not bad.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I think it might slightly be insurance fraud to have a presciption written for you, that you have our health insurance cover, and to use it for something else. Just saying! It's one thing to buy the OTC human product from Canada because it's cheaper but another to claim it on your insurance.
    very much so. that's why we are lucky we are allso sore and beat up from working with these darn equines!!

I had to spread it all over my butt this weekend because I was so sore from digging up 2 acers of Nighshade.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    very much so. that's why we are lucky we are allso sore and beat up from working with these darn equines!!

I had to spread it all over my butt this weekend because I was so sore from digging up 2 acers of Nighshade.
    Having insurance pay for any part of medicine that you use on something/someone other than yourself is fraud. The fact that you got the script for yourself/use it on yourself too doesn't mean it's okay to also use it on your horse.

Not suggesting you personally do that PN, but earlier on this thread it was intimated that Voltaren for equine use costs "nothing" because it was being covered by health insurance. If I was that poster, I wouldn't put that out there in writing.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thank you for the additional information.

My horse's issue is short-term and the vet thinks he will be ok in about 10-14 days, but if not, we will revisit and see if there is something more than the issue we found in the first visit. This horse has had stomach issues in the past, so I'm not crazy about bute for him and that is why I was looking for an alternative.

I am still ordering some Voltaren for my own use. I have wrist issues from a crushing injury, and I'm willing to try this for that deep achey pain I sometimes get.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Certainly it is insurance fraud to have your health insurance pay for medication for your horse.

However MY PERSONAL RANT is WHY THE FREAK CAN'T WE GET STUFF that is cheap and over the counter in other countries cheap and over the counter here??? (It is a rhetorical question, really. It's because we will pay and the rest of the world won't.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    However MY PERSONAL RANT is WHY THE FREAK CAN'T WE GET STUFF that is cheap and over the counter in other countries cheap and over the counter here???)
    You also have MANY drugs that we CAN'T get here yet. For example, we've only been able to get Aleve otc for maybe 18 months- up until then it was not available in Canada.

We can't get XXX-Guard here (the preventative one)... but luckily we can't get Equioxx so have to use Previcox ...
    there are also many fly sprays etc. we cannot get here.

Default voltaren stuff :)

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    If anybody needs, I can pick some up. I'll be crossing into Washington State sometime in the next couple of weeks and can mail them to people from that side of the border to miss the customs, etc. Post or PM me with addresses and amounts needed and I can do the rest.
    Which reminds me, I need to get some more for myself- I used the last of mine up on my filly's splint! Love the stuff!!!
    how much does a tube cost for you?? might be intersted in getting some

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    how much does a tube cost for you?? might be intersted in getting some
    I can buy a small tube (50mL/1.7fl.oz) for $9.99, with a large tube (~25% more) for $14.99 and a larger tube (~3.4oz) for $19.99.
    Hope this helps!

Costco sells it up here, too. Cheaper than Walmart the last time I looked.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

IME with Surpass, surgical shaving of the area was an absolute KEY to seeing quick results. Based on that and the study cited on this thread, I would always shave the area before applying either Surpass or Volatren. Why not up your chances of penetration? Neither does any good sitting on the hair
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Just bought two tubes from feelbest.com - on sale for $12.99 for the 100g tube

I brought it back from South Africa its OTC and costs about $18 per big tube... I use it on my horse occassionally if he has some swelling but mostly it stays in my bathroom for ME! Yes I am 27 and need it!