The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Incentive Program

Cross Post from Racing

NEWS RELEASE

October 14, 2011

The Jockey Club Launches Incentive Program for Thoroughbred Sport Horses

The Jockey Club today announced the launch of the Thoroughbred Incentive Program (T.I.P.), which will recognize and reward the versatility of the Thoroughbred through sponsorship of Thoroughbred classes and high point awards at locally, nationally or internationally sanctioned horse shows. The Jockey Club has committed $100,000 to the Thoroughbred Incentive Program for a pilot program in 2012.

“The Thoroughbred Incentive Program is a natural extension of our ongoing efforts in Thoroughbred aftercare,” said James L. Gagliano, The Jockey Club’s president and chief operating officer. “We encourage other groups to join us as we assist with the transition of Thoroughbreds into second careers.”

“Thoroughbreds are versatile athletes, which makes them ideally suited for any number of disciplines beyond the racetrack,” said Dell Hancock, a steward of The Jockey Club, a longtime Thoroughbred owner/breeder and a former horse show competitor. “The Thoroughbred Incentive Program will help showcase and reward the breed’s many talents at all levels of competition and will encourage the retraining of Thoroughbreds once they have finished their racing or breeding career.”

“Although a Thoroughbred named Kim’s Song never beat a horse on the race track, she went on to be a national hunter champion and put me on the map as a young rider in the 1970s, so I have a deep-rooted appreciation for Thoroughbreds competing in the show world,” said R. Bruce Duchossois, a horse owner and breeder and championship competitor in multiple equestrian disciplines. “I commend The Jockey Club for developing an incentive program for Thoroughbred sport horses and I strongly encourage show organizers to participate by offering T.I.P.-sponsored Thoroughbred classes and awards in 2012.”

Horse show organizers that would like to offer a T.I.P. Thoroughbred class and/or high point award at their show in 2012 should complete the T.I.P. application available at tjctip.com. T.I.P. sponsorships are available for a variety of disciplines, including eventing, dressage, hunters, jumpers and western and English pleasure, and will include ribbons, prizes and in some cases, purse money. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2011.

In addition to class and award sponsorships at shows, the Thoroughbred Incentive Program will also offer two annual awards in 2012:

The T.I.P. Thoroughbred of the Year Award will recognize a Thoroughbred that has excelled in a non-competitive career, such as equine-assisted therapy or police work. The award will include a $5,000 grant to the non-profit organization associated with the horse or, if not associated with a non-profit organization, to a horse-related charity chosen by The Jockey Club.

The T.I.P. Young Rider of the Year Award will recognize a young rider, 18 or under, who owns or leases a Thoroughbred for use in 4-H, Pony Club or other activities. The winner(s) will be determined through an essay contest with a total award of $5,000 annually that can be applied to the college of their choice or to their participation in an event that furthers their involvement with horses. Applications for the T.I.P. Thoroughbred of the Year Award and T.I.P. Young Rider of the Year Award will be made available at tjctip.com in 2012.

Thoroughbreds registered with The Jockey Club will be eligible for participation in all T.I.P. classes and awards. Horse owners interested in participating in T.I.P. can find more information regarding eligibility and assistance with identification of Thoroughbreds at tjctip.com.

The Jockey Club, founded in 1894 and dedicated to the improvement of Thoroughbred breeding and racing, is the breed registry for North American Thoroughbreds. In fulfillment of its mission, The Jockey Club provides support and leadership on a wide range of important industry initiatives and it serves the information and technology needs of owners, breeders, media, fans and farms, among others. Additional information is available at jockeyclub.com.

cool!

The T.I.P. Young Rider of the Year Award will recognize a young rider, 18 or under, who owns or leases a Thoroughbred for use in 4-H, Pony Club or other activities. The winner(s) will be determined through an essay contest with a total award of $5,000 annually that can be applied to the college of their choice or to their participation in an event that furthers their involvement with horses. Applications for the T.I.P. Thoroughbred of the Year Award and T.I.P. Young Rider of the Year Award will be made available at tjctip.com in 2012.
    Hm, now I really want to get Lucky into shape where one of our 4-H kids can lease him for their project! (Really, he's got the best brain of the horses at the barn for it and at least the BO's oldest grandson could handle it...)

The JC's certainly decided to deal with the 'do-nothing' accusations about TBs after racing...TB Connection, now this...good things!

Yippee! Thanks for posting. I just emailed one of the Area V eventing board members to get the word out.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Extremely excited about the essay contest for the TIP YR award! What fun!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

LOVE this!!! And know an awesome girl who needs to go for that Rider award.

Hope this really takes off
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No!! No one else needs to go for the rider award, I want it!!

Kidding, kidding. I hope I have some good competition and may the best writer win

Just curious, when will more details on the essay be posted?
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

This is just wonderful.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Look for information and applications for the non-competition awards in late 2011/early 2012 on the website, www.tjctip.com. A calendar of shows with TIP classes and awards will also be posted once shows are approved.

Everyone please spread the word to shows in your area to apply!

I haven't read any of the fine print yet. Do they have a mechanism to deal with situations where the current owner can't supply registration papers - either because the track owner kept the papers to ensure the horse didn't get raced/bred or because the horse went through rescue/auction/kill pen?

YAY!!! I'm so glad the Jockey Club is FINALLY taking an interest in TBs in other disciplines! With this plus TB connect all I have to say is way to go Jockey Club! I can't wait to show in some TB only shows and I'm definitely going to try to get YR of the year.
    Proud owner of Finger Lakes' Finest Devilshire.

Hunting Creek, couldn't wait for you any longer so I cross posted to the eventing forum
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Kewwwwll. Go Jockey Club!

YAY!!! Great news! Glad they stepped up to not only promote OTTB's but also form an OFFICIAL organized TB show incentive. I hope it has great success!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Hunting Creek, couldn't wait for you any longer so I cross posted to the eventing forum
    Thank you so much for spreading the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    I haven't read any of the fine print yet. Do they have a mechanism to deal with situations where the current owner can't supply registration papers - either because the track owner kept the papers to ensure the horse didn't get raced/bred or because the horse went through rescue/auction/kill pen?
    Yes, there are two other options - a successful tattoo look up + five cross pedigree (both free) OR if you cannot successful look up the tattoo, The Jockey Club will assist with identification and provide a letter which will prove eligibility for purposes of T.I.P. Please visit www.tjctip.com and click on "Thoroughbred Owners" for more information.

Just a few updates on the TJC Thoroughbred Incentive Program - we're getting close to the first show dates!

-The calendar of T.I.P. approved events has been posted to www.tjctip.com
    -The requirements for proof of eligibility are available on the website (www.tjctip.com) under Thoroughbred Owners. If you will need assistance with proof of registration for your Thoroughbred, please email asap.
    -If you haven't done so already, please follow T.I.P. on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/tjctip).