The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Ray lonely...or just crazy?

My little feline man Ray is starting to act a little wonky......he gets these crazy burst of energy where he thinks he is this big jungle cat and treats my furniture and apartment as such...running from one end over my bed, down the hall, jumping over the couch, over the counter, to the sliding door where he crouches and attacks the floor mat...then he does this in reverse back to my room, where he attacks me!

Nothing with teeth and claws, as soon as I yelp he jumps and runs the gamet again to the sliding door...repeat as needed

It doesn't have a exact time he does this, he does it morning, noon and night.....but he's 15lbs of flying fur and has taken my legs out before!

I have bought him these amazing fancy toys to try and entertain him, which he sniffs flicks his tail and ignores...I tried giving him a stuffed animal which he promptly humped and peed on!! and yes he has been neutred since before I adopted him.
    He has lived with me for about a year, and only started this in the past 2mths. He's about 3yrs old (vet assumes)

I am thinking he needs a playmate.....but any animal that has ever come into my apartment he has promptly stalked and attacked (this goes for cat, dog, puppy) and I am afraid he might start peeing on everything for territory...which is a big nono!

sooo suggestions?!?
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

This is the cat crazies. The random spurt of energy where they race around like lunatics with a deranged look on their face. Quite possibly my favourite thing about cats!

Getting another cat will just result in two cats with the cat crazies. Ours race around together, or sometimes just one of them will "freak out" by themself. Often it results in lots of cat wrestling.

What your cat is doing sounds completely normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    Getting another cat will just result in two cats with the cat crazies.
    While I fully endorse the idea of cat lovers adding more bundles of love to their home, as a resident in a 2-cat home, I have to agree with the above statement.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Sounds like a normal cat to me! Who knows whey they do the things they do, lols!

Yep, it's normal. Even my older cats do that, particularly the barn cats. They take off from house or bard, tails all kinked, running madly and taking swipes at each other. The old housecat does the furniture run, up and down everything, so your guy's behaviour is normal
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default I have three

I have three cats but only one that does that. After racing back and forth for a while, he jumps in the bathtub and scratches to try to get the water faucet to come on (don't ask me why he thinks that will work - it's not like I turn it on for him sometimes when he does that ). By the way, they have two constantly running cat fountains. He'll also head down the hall in front of me, just like my Aussie's, and then stop and trip me if he's not sure I'm following. The other two cats and the two dogs just ignore him. It's particularly amusing when I'm trying to sleep in the morning (which is his favorite time to do it). Oh, and he's 12 1/2 so you might just have to get used to it.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

What about some interactive toys? My cats LOVE when I use the wand with whatever (doesn't really matter) on the end. In fact, I have one that will drag it over to where I am and then meow at me until I play! Yes, I'm very well trained.

Sounds normal to me. We call it "the zippies" here.

My cats both get hyper moments like this, and they are 14 and 10 years old.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

It's just the demons chasing him. You can't see them, but they're there.