The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default i'm thinking of leasing my mare-how do i make sure she is ok

I have a 30ish retired mare who I actually got as a free horse to be a companion, so far she has been a companion to 3 horses, she has outlived one of them. Anyway, I have 3 horses now including her and was thinking I need to get down to 2 ideally. Since the other 2 are rideable it never occured to me she would be the one who anyone was interested in but a friend of a friend is looking for a quiet mare to be turned out with a horse who is coming home after an injury. This injured horse is currently at a boarding/training barn and would be coming home to a small backyard barn with about an acre of turnoout, 2 stall barn and a paddock.This would be a 6 month to 12 month lease. The barn is about 40 miles from me, so not down the road.
    My mare is a saint and has excellent ground manners, the kind I let my grandson groom and tack up, a doll for the farrier and vet, the kind that free ranges on the lawn and comes when called. She has some health requirements, I would continue to provide her pergolide.Otherwise routine vet care, farrier, feed, hay is on the leasor.
    How reliable are signed agreements in lease situations, I don't want to act insane but I have to protect this horse she owes me nothing

As someone once said on these boards, a signed agreement is only as honorable as the people who have signed them.

I don't blame you for being cautious.

The BEST way to make sure your horse will be OK is to NOT lease your horse!!!

Waaaalllll, that last comment was somewhat less than helpful.

OP, 40 miles is really not that far. With a solid contract in place and regular visits (to delivery her pergolide, for instance), it sounds like this could work out just fine. You might want to consider starting with a short-term (1-3 month) lease, then expanding the timeframe to the 6 or 12 month total if all is working well.

I would plan for visits to check on the mare. They need not be daily or even weekly, but surely you could spare a couple of hours to drive over and visit once a month or thereabouts.

I have a lease agreement that I have used with great success that I would be happy to share, if you would like something to use as a template.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I concur that frequent visits (at least once a month) would make it work; otherwise, I wouldn't do it. Since you don't know this person, make sure you check other references than your friend -- vet, farrier, another personal reference. A contract spelling out what the vet responsibilities are, specifically, would be helpful.

Sounds like a great situation, but so many people have problems with these things. Just cover your bases!

Disclaimer: None of this is legal advice--just things that I would try to think about it advance.
    I wouldn't mind leasing a horse out at some point. If I were doing it, I'd be careful to have a signed agreement and outline the expectations really carefully. For example, under what circumstances should a vet be called? Who covers which types of expenses? Yes, it is only on a piece of paper but it is worth it to make sure that all of the details you can think of are covered. There is always more that won't be covered, but you do the best you can.
    The other advice I would second is to check on the horse. I would try to do it once a month or so. If I couldn't make the drive out there to check the horse, I'd try to find someone reliable who might be able to do it for me, and it would be worth the piece of mind. I would just make sure that you will be allowed to go on their property every so often just to make sure the horse is doing okay.
    I would also check their references. It is just a good step to take.
    You say it is a 6 - 12 month lease, but I would assume that if they weren't following the agreement - feeding appropriately, administering the Pergoglide - then you would be able to take the mare back home. All in all, it doesn't sound too bad to me.

She's 30-ish.

How do you feel about making such a big change to her routine at this point?

Flashy Gray, I agree, the more I think about it.

It's not really fair to such an aged mare to ask her to readjust -- old creatures are old creatures, human, horse, dog, what have you. They don't like changes, and it probably would make this mare very unhappy, even if her friends have died -- she is still used to her own home and routine. And really, there is no guarantee this person will take care of her correctly, unless you were there every day.

There are SO MANY pasture pets that want a home right now, young ones, even, that I would suggest keeping your horse at home and letting one of those other deserving horses have a chance. Getting a home for a pasture pet is really hard right now. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Flashy Gray, I agree, the more I think about it.

It's not really fair to such an aged mare to ask her to readjust -- old creatures are old creatures, human, horse, dog, what have you. They don't like changes, and it probably would make this mare very unhappy, even if her friends have died -- she is still used to her own home and routine. And really, there is no guarantee this person will take care of her correctly, unless you were there every day.

There are SO MANY pasture pets that want a home right now, young ones, even, that I would suggest keeping your horse at home and letting one of those other deserving horses have a chance. Getting a home for a pasture pet is really hard right now. Just a thought.
    So she should sell one of her riding horse, because someone is interested in her companion horse?

I'd ask for vet references. Are they boarding? (it sounds like it), then I'd be very careful to describe to the BO as well as the leasor the care for the mare.

It's 40 miles away and your mare has done this job before?

Do it.

Write an agreement.

Go see the place the other horses kept there and meet the owners in person.

(By the way, if they were smart your lease would include a section in which you acknowledged that you had seen their barns and fencing and found them acceptable.)

But don't let much more stand in the way. Yes, it's the people that make the paper agreement work. But you are 40 miles away. You can go see for yourself.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.

Default Think and proceed with caution. Well done for posting this.

Be sure you have a way to trace them if they move. Particularly if they are boarding, get a photocopy of drivers licences. husband and wife you dont want a "we split she is with him/her I don't know where' scenario. Blame it on COTH Tell them it's not personal, after the things you have read on here you are a little leary.

Are you going to be OK if she passes away from home? Will she adjust to a new situation? Sorry to bring these up but she's no spring filly.

Take every precaution you can. My ******* idiot of an ex free leased my blue blooded 8yo TB mare to an "internet friend" while I was recovering from a serious accident in a rehabilitation hospital. That was in '02 she has not been seen since. Nor has he, there are 100s of acres of bushland round our place. It's nice to daydream
    I seriously considered it at the time.

Think it over, and be careful Good Luck.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.

Thanks for the replies,some of the stuff mentioned was stuff I hadn't thought of like making sure about the id and if the couple splits etc.
    The injured/rehab horse is currently being boarded however the owner is bringing the horse back to her place as she does not feed a full training barn and the owner wants to be able to manage the horses recovery at home. I am going to inspect her place this weekend.The owner feels she cannot bring the horse home without having a companion lined up,she is going to finish out oct board and move nov 1st
    I used to live in that area and had moved 10 years or so ago, but I found out I used to use the vet this person uses and will check references.Also, I can get there once a week to check on her, I think it's all the threads on horses who disappear on coth that has me concerned.You all have given me lots of good ideas of what I will put in a contract if I go ahead with this.
    This horse can come back at any time, even at her age she is adaptable, last year my across the street neighbor borrowed her to wean a baby, of course I saw her everyday so it was different than this situation. It didn't even occur to me that she could die somewhere else,so that is another thing to consider.
    I planned to do some big renovations of my pasture and fencing this winter into spring, she might be more comfortable in a quieter place