The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Oroquin-10?

Who has used Oroquin-10? Curious as to what (if any) results were seen, and in what time frame.

Thanks!

Default Starting Oroquin 10 as soon as it gets here--this coming week!

I will be sure to post on my experience with it but I must say I am pretty excited, the results look very promising.
    My gelding is in a relapse, treated before with the old sulfur meds combo (couldnt afford Marquis) just 6 months ago. He improved but obviously not for long! He is only a grade 1 so I am hoping for totally normal after this--fingers crossed!!

"Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

http://pathogenes.com/... Dr. Ellison has had a lot of success using it. Read the blog.

The man who wrote the article that Jackie Blue referenced has a personal grudge against Dr. Ellison and if Jackie Blue had really done her due dilligence in researching she would have seen the article she posted discussed.

The Path To FDA Approval

We have a determination that our intended use constitutes a “minor use” that entitles us to a waiver of user fees and will allow us to qualify for incentives to facilitate a New Animal Drug Application (NADA) approval. Our next step is meeting our regulatory team. The requirements for the sections of the NADA are on line at their web page.

An NADA containing unreviewed data takes CVM 6 mos to review. If the technical sections are all complete, an “administrative NADA” only takes 60 days. Our target is the administrative NADA.

If we depend on grants, through MUMS for our safety and efficacy trials, we are told that the process could take one year for funding. We believe our field trial using veterinarians that are in urgent need of medication to treat horses with EPM have increased the conversation and understanding of this disease. If our research can make a difference to these horses, we may obtain alternate funding sooner..

http://pathogenes.com/blog/2011/09/1...the-dark-side/

read this and it will explain a lot. My horses also did the Marquis and the sulfa drugs only to relapse. Then I followed Dr. Ellison's advice and they have all been fine. They also are on a once a day preventative. I highly suggest you have your vet call Dr. Ellison as many others have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknockers View Post
    http://pathogenes.com/blog/2011/09/1...the-dark-side/

read this and it will explain a lot. My horses also did the Marquis and the sulfa drugs only to relapse. Then I followed Dr. Ellison's advice and they have all been fine. They also are on a once a day preventative. I highly suggest you have your vet call Dr. Ellison as many others have been doing.

IMHO, this blog does more harm than good.
    The list of members of the so-called "dark side" contains individuals who have excellent reputations for professional integrity.
    The implication that they can be bought off by being paid to conduct a clinical trial is nonsense.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

They also are on a once a day preventative. I highly suggest you have your vet call Dr. Ellison as many others have been doing.

What is the preventative protocal? Is it daily for as long as the horse lives? You can PM if you don't want to answer on the board. I'm cusious as I've been doing the short term high dose and haven't decided what I want to do next. All I know is that relapses are BAD....

Thanks!!

The man who wrote the article that Jackie Blue referenced has a personal grudge against Dr. Ellison and if Jackie Blue had really done her due dilligence in researching she would have seen the article she posted discussed.

The Path To FDA Approval

We have a determination that our intended use constitutes a “minor use” that entitles us to a waiver of user fees and will allow us to qualify for incentives to facilitate a New Animal Drug Application (NADA) approval. Our next step is meeting our regulatory team. The requirements for the sections of the NADA are on line at their web page.

An NADA containing unreviewed data takes CVM 6 mos to review. If the technical sections are all complete, an “administrative NADA” only takes 60 days. Our target is the administrative NADA.

If we depend on grants, through MUMS for our safety and efficacy trials, we are told that the process could take one year for funding. We believe our field trial using veterinarians that are in urgent need of medication to treat horses with EPM have increased the conversation and understanding of this disease. If our research can make a difference to these horses, we may obtain alternate funding sooner..
    I did read that. And much more, in fact, that has led me to form an opinion, to which I am entitled. I haven't even expressed my opinion, and you seem to have some "personal grudge" against me. Which only leads me to feel more uneasy about Oroquin-10.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Thanks to everyone that replied. I did end up treating my horse with Oroquin, after the sulfa combo did not work. Believe me, I did as much research as I could, including reading the Pathogenes website and blog. I did not, however, base my decision on the information on the blog but on other people's experiences and the conversations that I had with my vet.

One month after finishing the Oroquin, my horse is much stronger and more alert. She is on the low dose levamisole for another 2 weeks, after which I will re-check her titers.

EPM is a terrible disease, and is so difficult to treat. I know that Oroquin is not widely accepted, and I understand why. But if it can help my horse, and others like her, then I am definitely glad that I took a leap of faith.

1 members found this post helpful.

SO glad to hear that your girl is doing better, Sprinterz. EPM is devastating and I hope she experiences as full a recovery as possible. Please keep us updated on her progress. I'll be jingling for her!

well, I can also tell you that Dr Mckay was in the audience at both seminars that Dr. Ellison gave, hmmmmmm. Great to hear that your horse is doing better Sprintz. Those are the same results my friend and I got with our 9 horses. Epm is way more prevalent then even the vets want to admit and it presents itself in sooooooooooo many different ways. My friend spent over 17 grand doing diagnostics before her horses were helped. All 4 of mine presented differently. One was just not quite right in the right hind, one had a very sore back,one ate her grain with her head sideways,and the other acted like she was in pain and would not pick up her left hind. All symptoms have disappeared and they are back to work. Time will tell on this Oroquin 10 but so far I can attest to it working as well as attest that Marquis and the sulpha drug did NOT and I have the bills to prove it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Money talks Ghazzu..big time.

Money talks...
    So do you, apparently.
    Do you have the intestinal fortitude to come out and openly state that the people you mention are being paid off, or will you content yourself with making vague allusions to it?

I'm willing to believe there are "alternative" treatments for EPM that work, but I have a hard time swallowing the idea that significant numbers of veterinarians are being paid off to suppress that information.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Talking

Tommyknockers
    Working Hunter

'"well, I can also tell you that Dr Mckay was in the audience at both seminars that Dr. Ellison gave, hmmmmmm.'" End quote.

Since when did sitting in an audience constitute approbation. I listen to, and read "lottsa stuff". Doesn't mean I agree.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Is it just me, or does bitterness and sarcasm in a "professional" blog seem odd to others as well? Here are just 2 unusual passages from the same page:

"So why is there consternation surrounding new discoveries and new ideas when it comes to Sarcocystis neurona? Some insight can come from Parasites and Infectious Disease: Discovery By Serendipity and Otherwise written by Gerald Esch.Here he explains how S. neurona was named. The naming of the organism (while it is such a nice name) was inappropriate. And the politics started here."
    "During my talk Dubey challenged one of my slides. After agreeing to disagree, I finished my presentation. While the challenge was public, his apology was private. Since then our company has been successfullytesting drugs and developing diagnostic tools for EPM. There hasn’t been one step in this process for us that was not critically reviewed. A new generation of investigators will soon take over the task of developing a deeper understanding of the pathophysiology of EPM and sarcocystosis. It is truly our hope that the new generation will have a less contentious discussion."

Science with even a small side of emotion always loses some credibility in the minds of those with cooler heads. Sad, but true.

This Oroquin-10 stuff got me thinking about the aminorex scandal in the Standardbreds a few years ago. Could some of these Oroquin-10 horses be feeling so much better and appear much sharper, hungrier, etc. because of the potent amphetamine metabolites of levamisole in the horse?

Those words are too long for me. I need Cole's notes.

OMG Jackie..seriously??? My horses and my friends horses were treated months ago and only for ten days. You really are unbelievable. Close personal friend to Dr. McKay perhaps or just wanting to stir the pot???

I have questions. How is that stirring the pot? Levamisole is not traditionally used in horses due to safety concerns and stimulant metabolites that test positive in both blood and urine samples. Wide reading shows that a percentage of horses decline even after The Wonder Drug. I am curious whether the initial "perk up" is due to stimulant (amphetamine) properties of levamisole. Regardless what you think, Tommy, this IS a legitimate question and it is one that can't be answered by Dr. Ellison's current field trial model. I hate burdening you with facts. I apologize.