The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default And today's horse eating monsters are:

A blowing leaf
    A jumping frog
    A field full of round bales (I think he's going to have nightmares)
    Freshly sealed blacktop driveway

Monsters who did not have horse on today's menu included:

Deep abyss of a ditch with running water
    Giant driveway entrance boulders
    Charging, yammering Bassett Hound and German Shepard
    Motorcycle

Not knowing is half the fun.

I know your pain, a field full of fresh round bales almost ate my steady eddy last weekend!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

He was agasted.

To his credit, he stuck and resisted the urge to run home. I think I could have gotten him past with a little more patience, but he was fixin' to tear up some nice people's lawn giving it a wide berth.

www.southcross.com

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Freshly sealed blacktop driveway
    After growing up in New York and having to help 'reseal' the blacktop driveway (and the stench of blacktop for days to come)....I feel your horse's paint
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Tuesday's monster was.......?
    Something in the trees - guess it was the invisible one.

Love it when I get sacrificed to the monster via the patented TB sideways spook and spin.

The good news is, even though the arena gate was wide open, Finn did not head for the barn and safety, but stood and looked at me - varying between wondering why I was on the ground and the Uh Oh, mom's on the ground, I'm in trouble look. Or he was just waiting for the monster to eat me and leave him alone.
    And nothing bad happened!

The terrifying hay baler giant machine (like Frank from Cars) plus all the dump trucks for the cow chaff/chop - nary a blink.

The stump on the trail got the hairy eyeball and the body that feels like it's sucking into itself.

All I could say was "Seriously?"

And this horse lived in a wooded pasture for 6 months so it's not as though he hasn't seen stumps before.

reminds me of the thread about the palomino predator - aka - a wrapped newspaper at the end of the driveway that also eats draft crosses.

my 4 yr old jumped sideways because of a squirrel running along the top board of a fence.

I helped set up for a show last night that is being held at the local county park that has trail rides etc. They are all ready for halloween! They have a haunted night time trail ride, a hay maze, scary decorations on the jump standards and a spider (about turkey sized) hanging from the show office. Last year there was a "Jason" standing by the office, complete with the hockey mask and a machete! Good times.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Last Saturday the horse eating monster was in the apple tree. And to be fair, I couldn't figure out why the apple tree was shaking either. When I did figure it out, I called out to the neighbor to speak so my horse would realise there was a human in the tree. Seriously. Why would anyone expect a human to be in an apple tree?

Horsey emitted a huge sigh of relief on that one. Can't say I blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    haunted night time trail ride
    now THAT is asking for trouble How does one insure for intentionally scaring the crap out of horses?

now THAT is asking for trouble How does one insure for intentionally scaring the crap out of horses?
    We got all excited at the ranch one year because we thought it would be a great idea to make our trails "haunted" during October... Luckily someone with some sense pointed out the obvious fact that beginner riders don't need their scared to death horses running home!
    www.southcross.com

Balloon in child's hand. Now I would totally get this except pony was sporting balloons in his mane and tail at the time of the hairy eyeball puff up. He puffs up his chest and tries to act big, cutest thing ever from an 11hh pony.
    Redhead pony decided her saddle was spook worthy. Granted it was shiny and polished because we were at a show but the damn thing had been on her back all of 5 minutes ago! She also rejected DD's purple poka dotted saddle pad as anything she wanted on her back. Was even nice enough to snatch it from DD's hand and stomp it like it was a snake. Not a single issue with the lurid brown and orange pad though. *shrug*
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Last Saturday the horse eating monster was in the apple tree. And to be fair, I couldn't figure out why the apple tree was shaking either. When I did figure it out, I called out to the neighbor to speak so my horse would realise there was a human in the tree. Seriously. Why would anyone expect a human to be in an apple tree?
    I rode a super-pampered stall-bound stallion for a friend, and I'm pretty sure his brain would process that as, "OMG! A TREE IS TALKING! TREES DON'T TALK......or do they? Oh crap! I wonder what they say about me out there in the pasture!" or see "Wizard of Oz" - apple-throwing tree. Yeah - good times.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

My IDS youngster was terrified because I had washed my hair and put a green towel over my head - he's probably damaged for life. Wouldn't come near me for three days.
    I left the towel on a fence and later found it shredded in the paddock - guess he thought he had killed it.

My last one was pretty terrifying to me, let alone my poor mare. Got lost on a trail ride, and started to take what we thought was a direct route home, only to find it contained a 30 foot ravine with a dark, wide water crossing at the bottom. There was no way to go around (lake and dam on one side, rocky steep stream bed on the other). Mare saw it and her brains started to leak out of her head, and then her buddy, the pony who will tackle *anything*, went through it, and mare's brains fell out of her head completely because ZOMG her herd was split up and the pony looked like it was leaving. I convinced the pony's rider that they should come back and even after that, mare was so wound up I ended up dismounting and leading her home. My two fellow riders did the same, mostly for my benefit.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

The ladder sticking out of the back of the trailer.
    DD's new BLUE car. Apparently white trucks and a black car are OK, but blue ones consider horses a delicacy.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

The judge in the judge's stand turning over a piece of paper.

The punch line? He'd already SPOOKED at that at the previous show, so we brought him back to the venue in between times on a schooling weekend for some despooking. I started out by sitting in the judge's stand waving stuff in the air as he passed, and escalated through throwing wet, wadded-up paper towels at him and popping balloons right up to standing up abruptly, picking up my cheap plastic chair, and throwing it in his general direction (i.e., about 10 feet short of where he was passing). Did not hear a peep out of him the whole time. Come show day... different story...

Baby greenies. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

neighbors: weed-wacker
    neighbors: back-firing lawn mower
    neighbors: kids on trampoline
    neighbors: bottle rockets
    neighbors: stalking cat jumping out at us from under stuff
    neighbors: revving harley
    neighbors: chain saws
    neighbors: scarecrow blowing around in their little gardens
    neighbors: leaf blowers
    neighbors: fire crackers.......

yep, theres a reason my riding arena/area butts right up to their yards

you'd have to PAY someone to be as obnoxious around horses as my neighbors. They do it for FREE! they really do make the BESTEST horse trainers

On Tuesday my 7 year old, been-there-done-that-been-showing-since-I-was-a-weanling gelding about had a heart attack at the new bucket I put in his stall. Granted, it's one of the new "ergonomically-shaped" ones and the front sticks out a bit more than a normal bucket, but come on, it's A FREAKING BUCKET!! And his grain was even in it. Nope, bugging eyes, a quick sniff, a snort, back up into the corner of the stall, stand there, come up and look again, snort, sniff, back into the corner we go. Idiot.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!