The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schleese Saddle Rep - MI/OH

A friend of mine is going through the difficult fit horse / saddle search that so many of us deal with, and a Schleese saddle was recommended to her as a possible solution.

Has anybody worked with Schleese saddle fitter Luanne Reume before?

From reading some of the threads about the Schleese saddles, the person who works on the saddle fit from Schleese can make or break how the saddles work for horse and rider.

Any input would be sincerely appreciated!
    Thanks!

I have no experience but if your friend goes ahead with Schleese, I'd love an update with what you guys thought of the rep since I'm in the same region (and will someday need to replace my current saddle). I hope your friend is able to find the right saddle for her and her horse!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Absolutely!
    She has worked with a few other saddle maker / fitters in the area as well. I am sure she would be happy to share her experiences with the folks that she has worked with so far if interested.
    Thanks, and good luck!!

Anyone else have any experience with Luanne?
    Thanks!!

She's very thorough and does a great job. She also seems to be the only one who can fit a saddle to my mom's extra picky gelding

You can't please everyone and I've heard bad about all of them, but I DEFINITELY seem to hear the least negative comments about her. My experiences have all been very positive. I wish I liked Schleese saddles for myself to ride in, because I really like the saddles for the horse and I like her as a fitter.

I'll throw in a positive review. I'm not personally fond of Schleese's FLAIR system, but I've seen Luann at work several times on friend's horses and I think she's very competent. Obviously every brand rep is going to advocate for their own brand's products, so I can't hold it against Luann that she recommends the FLAIR system--and she seems to be good at adjusting the FLAIR panels appropriately. I know at least three folks who bought saddles from Luann that continued to fit horse and rider for many years. One was FLAIR, the other two were wool.

For reference, I lived in Michigan for 5 years which is how I came to know LuAnn. I now live in Columbus (hi drambuie, I guess we're neighbors!). There are two other competent fitters who come to our area regularly: County rep Katie Gussenhoffen and Trilogy rep Heather Soones-Booher. I've seen both of them work and I'd use either of them as well. Katie has been fitting for County for a long time, long enough that she trains many of the newer reps. I use Heather for my wool adjustments and so do my barnmates, not least because I like the high-quality wool that she uses and she's got Society of Master Saddlers certification from Britain. And I like her British accent.