The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A little brag, and explain to me what I saw? :D

I don't really have any business in the Dressage forum so please be kind...

Yesterday I went to a dressage schooling show. My trainer was riding my (wonderful if I do say so myself) 4yo gelding. He is for sale, though a small part of me is regretting this, and I have not ridden him, and don't plan to at least in the short term. I think at his age he will do better learning from a pro!

My history in a nutshell is: no showing. Never had a horse of mine in a show, with me or anyone else riding. My first horse evented before I got him but not after. So this was all new, exciting ground for me!

My boy did a test in Intro Level and one in Training Level. His score was 66.5 for Intro and 65 for Training. All 6s and 7s with one (I think) 8 on each test, for working trot. His walk needs to be more march-like and he needs more impulsion. Nonetheless, in both of his admittedly tiny classes he got the blue ribbon! OMG I feel like a kid at the fair.

So that's the brag, and if you can tell me (gently) if the scores sound OK for a 4-year-old's first show, I'd be most appreciative!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Those are good scores, period! Even better with a young horse at his first show! And I think it's great with the consistency of the scores- that points out that he was continually well behaved with no baby behavior, so a successful outing for a first time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sancudo View Post
    Those are good scores, period! Even better with a young horse at his first show! And I think it's great with the consistency of the scores- that points out that he was continually well behaved with no baby behavior, so a successful outing for a first time!
    Ditto this!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Oh yes, dressage isn't like school. Mid-60's is good, especially for a baby's first show!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Hey, for a baby's first show, entering AND exiting at A are pretty darn good. Mid 60s are fantastic!!

Staying in the ring is always a positive too! Congrats!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Oh yes, dressage isn't like school. Mid-60's is good, especially for a baby's first show!

I had to get this through my head when I started dressage. As a student in school, I was crazy competitive and grade-centric. Scoring a 60% would have crushed me. Riding dressage has broadened my perspective on numbers and scoring!

Congrats, OP, on your boy and his fantastic first show! He sounds like a gem!

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well thank you all! Grin now officially goes from ear to ear!

Frankie did NO baby moves/misbehaviors at all. My trainer said he was nervous but you couldn't tell from "the outside". He gave the judge's table a bit of a look but not a spook, and being a schooling show he was allowed to go back and forth in front of it while my trainer chatted with the judges. I could SEE the moment where he said "Aha! Table. People. Gotcha!" But he hadn't even bulged away from it really.

I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation" -- doesn't make much sense that they would, if the whole point is to get a preview for future real tests and shows. Guess I was really looking for the catch, and hoping there wasn't one!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post

I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation" -- doesn't make much sense that they would, if the whole point is to get a preview for future real tests and shows. Guess I was really looking for the catch, and hoping there wasn't one!
    Depends on the schooling show and the judge but in our area, the schooling show scores give a good indication of what one will score at recognized shows given the same quality of test.

I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation"
    Some do, some don't ... dressage scoring is very judge dependent & depending upon that judge's experience level/expectations, scores can vary.

FP did a rated show as his first - 2 judges were available, 1 regional & 1 national (FEI): the latter was less generous with the marks (the discretionary half marks were usually left as the lower number ie 6 vs 6.5) though comments made were much the same.

I know at some of the local schooling shows & percentage days, the marks are very generous to "encourage" the riders ... this works until a rider does a rated show & then is devastated by her more realistic mark.

All 6s and 7s with one (I think) 8 on each test, for working trot.
    These are decent marks, 8's are not "easy" to obtain
    & if he did come home with a load of 8's, I'd suggest that he's an accomplished boy who needs to move forward in his training

Do you know who the judge was? That will tell you more about how accurate the scores were than whether the show was schooling or rated.