The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sudan Grass Hay - good, bad, or ???

I have a lead on a possible boarding place for my mare that I'm checking out in person later this afternoon. Yay! Anywho, they feed Sudan grass hay in large bales or I can supply my own hay. I got off the phone with the ranch owner, told my basically non-horsey husband about the place being a strong possibility, but I didn't know anything about Sudan grass hay and he instantly suggested checking on COTH. I have him well adjusted to the wisdom of COTHers and he also enjoys the occasional whackadoodle story.

So what can COTHers tell me about Sudan grass hay and feeding in large bales?

No. It's Johnsongrass (or at least, Johnsongrass is a type of Sudan grass), which shouldn't be fed to horses. Is it done? Yes. Would I ever do it? No way.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Sudan grass hay.

The only problems with Sudan grass family grasses is when they're eaten fresh during stress periods - meaning, during drought or frost. As hay, they're fine.

Hay is fine, but wouldn't want my horses turned out or to "accidentally" get out on a field of Sudan grass.

A farmer in an area I lived in grew it for a few years. If I remember correctly it has a fairly wide blade.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to turn horses out on Sudan grass?

the grass can have some bad effects but the hay after one or two weeks does not suffer the things the living grass does

kinda like wild persimmons,you do NOT want to put one in your mouth until they have laid on the ground a few days

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinterz View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to turn horses out on Sudan grass?
    Uh - just read two posts above yours. Sigh. I so wish people would take the time to READ a thread before posting. Sigh again.

Bacardi: I did read all of the replies, but was wondering the reason one should avoid turning out on Sudan grass. Tamara explained this. No need to be snarky.

Sorry, but you obviously didn't read my post, which detailed "when" Sudan grasses can be toxic when fresh. How did Tamara "explain" anything re: that? Please tell.

To add to your knowledge - just in case you decide arbitrarily to read this post - the reason why Sudan grasses are toxic in pasture when stressed due to frost or drought is because these conditions concentrate the cyanide compounds in the grass.

But the post which prompted her question implied not ever turning out on fresh Sudan. Your post only listed a couple of situations where it would be inadvisable.

You've snarked on a couple of people today for reasons uncalled for. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You've snarked on a couple of people today for reasons uncalled for. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
    Uh, you must be mistaking me for someone else, because I've only posted on one other thread here today, & my post was definitely not "snarky" in any way, shape, or form. If you're into post stalking, you need to do better research before tossing around public accusations.

http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/Nitrate.pdf

nitrate and prussic acid in forages.

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Out of curiousity, why would you not put a persimmon in your mouth unless its been on the ground for a few days?

ALso, a PSA...do not feed persimmons to horses, it can cause a gel like impaction colic.

So, if I understand things correctly regarding sudan grass...
    it isn't good for horses at all at anytime, but especially during stress such as frost or draught, when toxins are released.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

wild persimmons have a tannic acid type thing going on with them that will pucker your mouth shut if you eat them too early I'm pretty sure the modern domestic plants have had this mostly bred out of them.

there are many horses who have lived on sudan grass for decades, as where sudan grass grows native as graze,it rarely has frosts to worry about and is rarely fertilized.

also horses are less susceptible to nitrate and prussic acid poisoning as they have only simple stomachs as we do

can you kill them that way? sure
    is it pretty rare as equine deaths go? sure

Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Out of curiousity, why would you not put a persimmon in your mouth unless its been on the ground for a few days?

ALso, a PSA...do not feed persimmons to horses, it can cause a gel like impaction colic.

So, if I understand things correctly regarding sudan grass...
    it isn't good for horses at all at anytime, but especially during stress such as frost or draught, when toxins are released.

It isn't uncommon to feed sudan hay out where I live. It's the only affordable thing other than alfalfa (other grasses will run $12+ for a small bale if you can find it). The horses don't like it much, they eat it slowly, but it's not dangerous as a hay.

The stuff we have out here isn't too nutritious but it's not bad as just a forage to keep them busy. Because they eat it so slowly I've used it like that before, just so they have something to much on all day.

Here a snark, there a snark, everywhere a snark-snark.

Patience, grasshoppa.

Hope your boarding/hay situation works out, SE!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Actually, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Sudan grass hay.

The only problems with Sudan grass family grasses is when they're eaten fresh during stress periods - meaning, during drought or frost. As hay, they're fine.
    I don't see anything about WHY you shouldn't, I was wondering myself. Founder? Colic? Toxic enough to kill in a few bites? I often read threads and can tell people don't read all the responses and ask the same question more than once, but I never make snarky comments about it. Sometimes it is easy to miss a post or it is posted while you are posting.

I took a bite of a wild persimmon that HAD NOT laid on the ground long enough.

It dried my mouth out for HOURS!!!

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why any animal would want to eat one.

The foxes around these parts LOVE them, as you can tell by their scat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Uh, you must be mistaking me for someone else, because I've only posted on one other thread here today, & my post was definitely not "snarky" in any way, shape, or form. If you're into post stalking, you need to do better research before tossing around public accusations.
    sorry, your post #3 on the "why are my hens not laying eggs anymore" was taken as snarky I'm not stalking, just happened to read it right before this one

so on the off tangent of wild persimmons here ya go...

it's kinda "hippy" based and I apologize for that but it covers some of the eating of the things

http://www.food-skills-for-self-suff...ersimmons.html

Tamara