The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    8,540

    Default

    The first step (as you realize already) is to decide what your goal is. Do you really want the headaches involved in running shows, or owning a bigger farm? Would the county even let you split the 1.6 acre field off and incorporate it into your place? What are the future prospects of another owner being able to have a profitable number of animals on a property the size of yours? As I'm sure you know, many places are limiting agricultural use of land, and future owners may not be allowed to have the same number of animals on your property if you do sell. What is the sales market for properties like yours? As some sellers said on the farm sale thread on here, it has taken years for some properties to sell, even those in tip-top condition and with good marketing.

    Is your heart set on having a horse show series? And would the local ordnances allow this, or be cost prohibitive to do because of permits, insurance, hired help and facilities you would need to add? Or would running a farm operation for just your animals be better for you? You are the only person who can decide, and maybe a friend who is impartial and analytical would be the one to talk to?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2006
    Location
    The rocky part of KY
    Posts
    9,379

    Default

    Oh ugh. Well just off the top of my head I'd say he doesn't really want or need to sell that additional acreage. Which stinks for you.

    If I were you I'd put up some sort of fencing across the front and keep the ag lessor off your place no matter what you do. That's your property now and you need to prevent the creation of any inadvertant easements.

    JanM makes some good points - good luck with whatever happens!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2004
    Location
    Rixeyville, VA
    Posts
    6,555

    Default

    An addiitional 1.6 acres on a less than 4 acre parcel really isn't going to cut it if you want to do schooling shows etc. You need to have access to more land to pull it off. I don't see any point in buying where you are now.

    As for the deal that fell through, I understand what the seller is saying. Selling 7 acres with prime road frontage is not a smart move. He needs to sell the whole thing, not part of it.

    I would keep looking and focus on getting more land. If you can tolerate a solid, but less than perfectly updated house, I think it is out there. When we were farm shopping, we though 20 acres would work. We ended up buying 95 (later expanding to 138) because having the space was important.

    The other issue is going to be location. "Build it and they will come" doesn't really work unless you have megabucks. You have to consider location as far as your target market is concerned.

    Hang in there and keep looking.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 1999
    Location
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique
    Posts
    9,143

    Default

    Thanks guys. I think I'm (mostly) past my initial disappointment. Of course I'm not going to tell the seller to take a hike... no sense in burning that bridge no matter how frustrated I am.

    FWIW, the 7 acres I wanted to split off was in back of my property. The 33 acre parcel that would be split is kind of an L shape... with 700+ feet of road frontage to my east and wraps around behind both my and the next door neighbor (to the west) property. It's back behind me that I'd want to split. When I first mentioned in August that I wasn't going to be abel to buy all 43 acres (there's an additional 10 acre parcel to the SW of the back of the L behind me) and asked if he woudl split (which he said yes), I in no way intended to take road frontage. I know what his plans would be (to make them into building plots to match what is across the road - with houses in front and ag land in back) and know that is more valuable to him as a seller. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

    The 1.6 acre parcel is already a separate parcel. It is land-locked with no road frontage so the only issue any government would have would be that it HAS to be sold to an owner of an adjacent property. It was in 2000 I think that that acreage was split off of what I own now and sold to the neighbor (who has passed and his sister inherited the property). I guess I was thinking that while I was here (and if I stay and it's just me and my critters), having that as additional pasture would be nice. If I don't, selling 5 1/2 acres would be better than less than 4... a better "fit" for the rest of the property (specifically the massive barn that looks a bit out of place with only small acreage).

    I hadn't thought of the "inadvertant easements". That's kind of a concern now as the easement drive off the road isn't on my property, but because the guy owned it all, he built the pasture fence 10' off the property line ... and that 10' has become the easement drive for the farmer to use. I don't mind much -- as moving all that fencing out 10' would be a PITA -- but I certainly don't want to lose 10' of my property. Is that a major risk at this point? If so, I think I'm ok til he sells the farmland but still... soemthign to think about.

    Still not sure what to do -- plan on staying or stay for a bit then find something else. but I guess I have time to think on that, eh?
    ************
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

    "Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post

    I hadn't thought of the "inadvertant easements". That's kind of a concern now as the easement drive off the road isn't on my property, but because the guy owned it all, he built the pasture fence 10' off the property line ... and that 10' has become the easement drive for the farmer to use. I don't mind much -- as moving all that fencing out 10' would be a PITA -- but I certainly don't want to lose 10' of my property. Is that a major risk at this point? If so, I think I'm ok til he sells the farmland but still... soemthign to think about.
    Losing that 10' of property would be a bigger PITA. I'd do something about reclaiming that strip ASAP.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    8,540

    Default

    TLE-I would consult a land attorney about the easement. My understanding is that it depends on the state, but that someone using a part of your property, or building something over the property line on your property can actually get ownership eventually. I think it's usually a certain number of years, but I'm not sure if this is legal in all states. And I'm not sure the farmer parking there is a problem, since some places there is a setback requirement for fencing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White



Similar Threads

  1. Waiting for pre purchase!!! - He PASSED!
    By doublesstable in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
  2. And the waiting begins....
    By aspenlucas in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2012, 03:59 AM
  3. Not EPM but still a Waiting Game...Hip Injury?
    By Rebels_Princess in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 1, 2010, 02:33 AM
  4. Financing a trailer purchase: updated!
    By Calvincrowe in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness